[SOLVED] AAA Gaming At 1440p 144hz on a Ryzen 7 1700

GloriousKev

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Hi all,

I have a Ryzen 7 7100 cpu oc'd to 3.65 ghz paired with an RTX 2080 ti and 16 gigs of corsair vengence memory at 3200mhz. Running on stock cooler. I am a gamer first and foremost and I want to hit 144 hz more frequently however it seems like no matter what I do in game I seem to max out around 110 - 120 FPS on most modern AAA games. Main games I play are Gears 5, Gears Tactics, The Division 2, Total War Warhammer 2. My display does handle 1440p 144hz and ive tried downgrading to 1080p down to low settings as well and I don't see much of a performance boost. I am thinking if I upgrade my cpu that it might help but when I run after burner I hit 99% on my gpu most of the time and Im in the 20 - 40% usage range on my cpu which is good. I just think I have capped out on how far I can push this cpu but I want to be for sure before I buy a new one. Thoughts?

Solution
Cpu sets the fps limits. Not the gpu, that either lives upto the cpu set limits or fails.

The cpu pre-renders all frames according to the game code. It'll do that to the best of its ability. That sets the fps limit. Those frames get sent to the gpu, which finishes the rendered frames according to detail levels and resolution and post-processing affects.

Changing resolutions will only increase fps if the gpu isn't strong enough. So if the cpu is kicking out 120fps and at 1440p you are getting 100fps on screen, dropping to 1080p lowers the amount of pixels the gpu has to populate, so it'll give more, you'll get 160fps possible. But. The cpu can only kick out 120fps, so you get a maximum of 120fps on screen.

Usage is the amount of...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)When you first got your Ryzen 1700, was it a fresh build, or an upgrade?
If it was the latter, and you carried over your C drive, did you reinstall Windows? That is mandatory.

2)Motherboard drivers - chipset, SATA, Lan, etc. - are up to date?

3)Cpu and gpu max temps in game?

4)Windows Game Bar and Game Mode are disabled?

5)Do you experience any stuttering with your dual monitor setup?

Reactions: GloriousKev

GloriousKev

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
1)When you first got your Ryzen 1700, was it a fresh build, or an upgrade?
If it was the latter, and you carried over your C drive, did you reinstall Windows? That is mandatory.

2)Motherboard drivers - chipset, SATA, Lan, etc. - are up to date?

3)Cpu and gpu max temps in game?

4)Windows Game Bar and Game Mode are disabled?

5)Do you experience any stuttering with your dual monitor setup?
  1. I've reinstalled the OS recently about 3 weeks ago because I purchased an NVME drive.
  2. Bios and drivers are all up to date
  3. CPU temps top out around 60 degrees at stock and around 75 when OC'd
  4. Game bar and Game mode are disabled.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu sets the fps limits. Not the gpu, that either lives upto the cpu set limits or fails.

The cpu pre-renders all frames according to the game code. It'll do that to the best of its ability. That sets the fps limit. Those frames get sent to the gpu, which finishes the rendered frames according to detail levels and resolution and post-processing affects.

Changing resolutions will only increase fps if the gpu isn't strong enough. So if the cpu is kicking out 120fps and at 1440p you are getting 100fps on screen, dropping to 1080p lowers the amount of pixels the gpu has to populate, so it'll give more, you'll get 160fps possible. But. The cpu can only kick out 120fps, so you get a maximum of 120fps on screen.

Usage is the amount of resources the cpu/gpu requires to render the frame, not the amount of cpu required to do so. The cpu is at 100% output but only requires 40% of its Lcache, bandwidth etc to do so.

Think of it this way. You hammer a nail into the wall to hang a picture. It's a small nail and drywall is flimsy. You'll hammer that nail to the best of your ability, as fast as you can and only need a small hammer to do so. It's not going to take a 10lb sledge hammer and both hands and all your strength. A cpu is no different. It takes a certain amount of time to pre-render a frame, place every object etc. The more complex the frame, the longer it takes. Fps is the time it takes to finish as many of those frames it can in one second.

To get higher fps will require a cpu that can pre-render more frames than what you current cpu can, or to increase you cpus ability to render faster. Like getting your cpu around 4.0GHz+

Honestly, you can't physically see the difference between @ 100fps and 150fps, maybe a few odd ppl on the planet can, it's physically impossible to everyone else, your brain cannot process the speed difference, even if your eyes could see it.

Which makes your want nothing more than an expectation on a benchmark or piece of paper.

Solution
May 3, 2020
Hi all,

I have a Ryzen 7 7100 cpu oc'd to 3.65 ghz paired with an RTX 2080 ti and 16 gigs of corsair vengence memory at 3200mhz. Running on stock cooler. I am a gamer first and foremost and I want to hit 144 hz more frequently however it seems like no matter what I do in game I seem to max out around 110 - 120 FPS on most modern AAA games. Main games I play are Gears 5, Gears Tactics, The Division 2, Total War Warhammer 2. My display does handle 1440p 144hz and ive tried downgrading to 1080p down to low settings as well and I don't see much of a performance boost. I am thinking if I upgrade my cpu that it might help but when I run after burner I hit 99% on my gpu most of the time and Im in the 20 - 40% usage range on my cpu which is good. I just think I have capped out on how far I can push this cpu but I want to be for sure before I buy a new one. Thoughts?
I am 100% certain upgrading your cpu will give you increased FPS I can’t guarantee how much but it will be a decent performance increase to upgrade to a more modern gen Cpu with higher frequency and better IPC

This is just for comparison. I can easily achieve 144fps in Gears 5 but I’m using a 3700x and 2080 Super with my 1440p 144Hz monitor. The only thing I can see is your 1700 has a weaker single core performance. This is not the best comparison but it’s ok to show the point, without overclocking it’s showing the 3700x has a 37% higher single core performance https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/4043vs3917

When gaming are individual cores/threads hitting 100%, mine don’t. It only takes 1 core at 100% to limit performance.