Abit NF-M2 USB Flash Drive Booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I have decided to reuse my old computer by sticking Xubuntu on it. However, I am unable to do so because I can't seem to get it to boot from my flash drive. The Flash drive is appropriately formatted and stuff. I can't get the motherboard to boot from it. The only USB options in the boot menu are USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, and USB-CDROM. I have tried all of them, but they're obviously not meant for flash drives. There are no other USB options. I don't have any spare disk drives, so I need to install from this flash drive. How can I boot from it?

fitzhugh100

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
yes, I know this is an OLD thread, but in case someone else searches for the problem...
I've successfully booted my nf-m2 nview from a usb flash drive. I think I managed to do so in the past by choosing one of the usb-XXX options under the boot device menu in the bios, but this time I noticed it was listed under hard drive boot order menu.

fitzhugh100

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
found on another forum - better info:

Originally Posted by Tachyon
Hello all,

I've got a question with booting from a USB drive. I'm using an AWARD Bios. In the Boot menu, I see several options for USB; such as USB-CDRom , USB-Zipdrive or something e.t.c

Which one do I choose to make it boot from a FLASH DRIVE ? I don't see anything that implicitly says USB-Flash Drive.
I've only messed with the Abit IP35-Pro, but in many BIOSes, the various "USB-x" entries can be used, but if you partitioned/formatted the USB flash drive like a hard drive, it might be bootable by choosing "Hard Disk" as the boot option and then picking the "Hard Disk Boot Priority" (or similarly-named item); on the IP35-Pro it's directly above the entries where you select the "USB-CDROM", etc, entries.

One annoying thing about that method is that you have to have the flash drive inserted when you set the BIOS, and if you boot with the drive removed later, it will forget the entry and put the USB device lowest in the Hard Disk priority next time you boot. Depending on your need, though, that might be not an issue.

Hope that helps,
-tij-

Status
Not open for further replies.