About cooling options, and the room you are in.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not really sure I know how to express what I am going to attempt to "ask", as it were.

In general a system that is more powerful is emitting more heat to the room it's in, and the AC system of the room/building. Bigger proc, bigger GPU, PSU typically means it gets hotter in the room, right?

OK, so....how do various cooling systems affect that?
IE, if you are using an air cooled system and it runs at a certain temp on load, if you switch to (for example) water cooling, is the efficiency of the cooling system just transferring the heat to the rooms cooling 'better', or does it actually cause the room to be cooler as well?

As a bit of insight as to why I ask:

I built an R7 1700, air cooled, mild OC, GTX 1080, ~600W PSU (I can't recall). I have been playing with my fan curves and in particular with the GPU curves in Afterburner. The office is on the same hall as the thermostat.
When I am only doing work I find that keeping the GPU fan off results in my best ROOM temps. If I turn on Afterburner the room heats up a couple of degrees. If I leave Afterburner OFF and game what ends up happening is that the GPU reaches 70C, the fans kick on and dump all that heat into the room at once, and the temps go up by 3-4 degrees on the thermostat. This will eventually happen on long gaming sessions with certain titles, but keeping the fan on seems to offset it a bit (while gaming).

What ends up happening is that the AC is running full bore and the rest of the house is freezing cold while the thermostat and office hall are hot.
Playing with (floor) fans, thinking about Nest and other options to try and help...but I don't have a zoned AC. IDK if it matters.

t53186

Distinguished
All cooling options rely on ambient room temperature, If your room temperature increases the cooler must work harder to keep the component cool. A standard cpu cooling fan can removes the heat from the cpu and puts it in the room, increasing ambient room temperature. Liquid cooling transfers heat from the component to the liquid which in turn flows the a radiator where the fans removes the heat and puts it in the room. Also increasing ambient room temperature.

You room will not be cooler with either of these options.

Circulating air will help, Moving the thermostat may help even out the temp. Putting a window air conditioner in that room and creating a seperate zone by closing off the room will place less stress on the Home AC.

Bottom line is your PC is a heater and the AC unit must remove the heat.

closs.sebastien

Honorable
Feb 9, 2018
so what is your point and question?
if your computer eats 500 W, a certain % will be transformed into heat. This heat stay in the case (if fan not started), or go outside of the computer, aka in the room. so the room will be heated. (some computers can replace your heating-system of the room in winter....).
Water cooling or not just mean that the heat of the cpu may be better evacuated outside of the cpu and outside of the case. That doesn't change anything of the amount of heat that is produced by your computer.

3000 calories are always 3000 calories.... wherever you push them with fan or water-cooling systems..

The question about the room and the air-conditioning is this: is it better to add to the room "always/continuously 20° more at the rear of the computer with fans always on".. or 50° more from time to time...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

Thanks, that's basically what I was asking.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
One simple option, MAYBE, is for YOU to make appropriate changes manually. You say you know that, at modest workloads, the effect on the room temp is small - maybe enough to ignore that. But when you go gaming and turn on the Afterburner system for graphics, the room heats up by 2 degrees. So you could simply change the thermostat setting to 2 degrees higher when you are gaming, and turn it down again after you've finished. The room temp will change, but the rest of the house will not.