About Reputation

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Hello, I have a problem with the Reputation advntage/disadvantage.
According to the third edition (revised) Basic Set, a character could
buy a +1 bonus to reaction rolls made by EVERY NPC, ALL the time, for
just 5 points. Reaction rolls bonuses aside, that implies that every NPC
somehow knows the PC.
Did I get the rule right?
Isn't 5 points a little cheap for all this?

Thanks.

Luca wrote:
> Hello, I have a problem with the Reputation advntage/disadvantage.
> According to the third edition (revised) Basic Set, a character could
> buy a +1 bonus to reaction rolls made by EVERY NPC, ALL the time, for
> just 5 points. Reaction rolls bonuses aside, that implies that every NPC
> somehow knows the PC.
> Did I get the rule right?

Yup.

> Isn't 5 points a little cheap for all this?

Charisma, in 3E (I don't have 4E yet), *also* costs 5 CPs
per +1 bonus to Reaction Rolls, so if you think Reputation
is cheap relative to the game-mechanical effect, then you
must also *necessarily* think that Charisma is cheap
relative to the game-mechanical effect.

Of course, having Reputation give a modifier to Reaction
Rolls is a mistake to begin with. Usually, I'm the one who
distrusts GMs and demand strict rules to curtail the GM's
power, but in this case, it is rather Steve Jackson who was
too eager to link a real-world phenomenon with some game
mechanics, even if the game mechanics are inappropriate for
the task: Being a known person does not necessary make
people respond more or less positively to you - it usually
means only that you're known. A competent GM will therefore
be able to handle the effects of character Fame without
applying modifiers to reaction rolls (this will also, of
course, reduce the cost of Reputation).

For you, the best solution might be to simply apply the
standard limitations to the Reputation advantage, reducing
the cost (IIRC to 1/2 or 1/3 of base cost) in exchange for
the modifier only applying to a subset of the world's
population. After all, few famous people are known by
*everyone*.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:44:50 GMT, Luca <morpheo77@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello, I have a problem with the Reputation advntage/disadvantage.
>According to the third edition (revised) Basic Set, a character could
>buy a +1 bonus to reaction rolls made by EVERY NPC, ALL the time, for
>just 5 points. Reaction rolls bonuses aside, that implies that every NPC
>somehow knows the PC.
>Did I get the rule right?

Yes and no. You got the rule right, but not the implication. It
isn't necessary for _every_ NPC to know of you, just for your fame to
be so widely distributed that no atter where where you go, any NPCs
who haven't heard of you will quickly be informed by your fans and
detractors who you are or at least will notice how they are reacting
to you and have their own reactions affected. It's not that every NPC
will know who you are but that in any group you encounter, someone
will know who you are.

>Isn't 5 points a little cheap for all this?

No. Not unless you want to make Charisma and other reaction roll mods
more expensive.

Luca wrote:
> Hello, I have a problem with the Reputation advntage/disadvantage.
> According to the third edition (revised) Basic Set, a character could
> buy a +1 bonus to reaction rolls made by EVERY NPC, ALL the time, for
> just 5 points. Reaction rolls bonuses aside, that implies that every NPC
> somehow knows the PC.
> Did I get the rule right?
> Isn't 5 points a little cheap for all this?
>
> Thanks.
Bear in mind a PC should only be able to take that 5 point advantage
if you think they have earned it (or their background justifies it).

As an example of a similar problem. I am running a GURPS Werewolf
game under the 3rd edition rules. Werewolf Tribal rank is, like any
other sort of rank, 5 points per level. Thus it is not too expensive to
crank it up. However I insist that high rank past a certain point must
be justified by getting a good reputation to go with it. The characters
must also invest in the skills and magical abilities that would enable
them to have gained the rank. This tends to eat up points fairly quickly.

--
Regards,
MoonDog.

"Luca" <morpheo77@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hello, I have a problem with the Reputation advntage/disadvantage.
> According to the third edition (revised) Basic Set, a character could
> buy a +1 bonus to reaction rolls made by EVERY NPC, ALL the time, for
> just 5 points. Reaction rolls bonuses aside, that implies that every NPC
> somehow knows the PC.
> Did I get the rule right?

Yes, but "knows" is possibly not the best way for stating this. A more
correct definition, which is, by the way, stated in the rules, is that the
NPC either knows your face or has heard your name (in a medieval campaign,
he might know the device on your shield, etc.). Add that the rules clearly
state that this applies for as long as you remain within your own standard
campaign area. If the campaign is mainly city-based, and you leave the city,
people might well not identify you any more. Finally, it is very possible
that not every NPC will instantly identify you; but he'll quickly get word
by other NPCs.

> Isn't 5 points a little cheap for all this?

It's a small world... and more importantly, the game consequences are the
same of Charisma +1 (5 points), OPH -1 (-5 points) and most other reaction
modifiers - that normally apply to every NPC you meet.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

It's actually worth less than Charisma, because unlike charisma it bears
with it the loss of anonymity. Getting into a club because you're a cool
guy who impressed the bouncers is one thing. Getting in because you're that
guy off the TV is another, particularly if you shoot someone inside and are
trying to get away with it.

Robert Duffy wrote:
> It's actually worth less than Charisma, because unlike charisma it bears
> with it the loss of anonymity. Getting into a club because you're a cool
> guy who impressed the bouncers is one thing. Getting in because you're that
> guy off the TV is another, particularly if you shoot someone inside and are
> trying to get away with it.

I suppose it depends on the sort of character you are playing.

If it's a cops game & you are playing the campaign equivalent of Harry
Callaghan rep could both help & hinder you quite a lot surely?

Remember, not every bunch of PC's are criminals & mercenaries. It just
seems like that sometimes. :)

--
Regards,
MoonDog.