[SOLVED] About to buy my son his first PC and it will be my first build. Please critique!

Dec 2, 2020
We already have the hard drive, monitor and case.

This will be my son's gaming PC and we want at least 60fps at 1080p.

My specific questions are:

• Will this CPU come with a fan and work on the motherboard we chose?
  • Will I have to flash the motherboard bios before building?
  • Is there a good motherboard that I don't have to flash? (having to flash scares the hell out of me)
  • What is a good card to buy to have bluetooth?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor | $359.99 @ Best Buy
Motherboard | Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard | $129.99 @ B&H
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $78.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card |-
Power Supply | Gigabyte P GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $109.99 @ Newegg
Operating System | \*Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit | $108.78 @ Other World Computing
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $807.74
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| Total | $787.74
| \*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria |
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-02 13:12 EST-0500 |

Solution
One of the big problems I'm having is that the AMD processors are out of stock in many places and the 3060 TI came out today and is sold out already.
In that case, here
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/D3Hqht

This has the RM650x (same as the RM650, just a little older, but quality is actually superior)

Freezer 34 esports duo. Hands down best air cooler under $60. Intel stock coolers are bad, really bad.

This whole build is about $150 cheaper than the one you showed (assuming the 1660 Ti is about $250, you now have $400 for a GPU) This CPU (10400, without an F) has an iGPU (Intel UHD 630), granted it's completely useless for gaming, but you can get by with it for a month or so, and keep checking the 3060 Ti stocks and grab...
We already have the hard drive, monitor and case.

This will be my son's gaming PC and we want at least 60fps at 1080p.

My specific questions are:

• Will this CPU come with a fan and work on the motherboard we chose?
  • Will I have to flash the motherboard bios before building?
  • Is there a good motherboard that I don't have to flash? (having to flash scares the hell out of me)
  • What is a good card to buy to have bluetooth?
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor | $359.99 @ Best Buy
Motherboard | Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard | $129.99 @ B&H
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $78.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card |-
Power Supply | Gigabyte P GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $109.99 @ Newegg
Operating System | \*Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit | $108.78 @ Other World Computing
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $807.74
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| Total | $787.74
| \*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria |
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-02 13:12 EST-0500 |
There's a few things I'd change. The RAM is good

The motherboard requires flashing, yes. Any MSI "B450 MAX" motherboards or any brand B550 motherboards don't.
You dont need 750W. For that GPU and CPU, a Corsair CX650 bronze non modular is enough. If you're buying RTX, Corsair RM650 is recommended. I don't buy anything other than Corsair because it's the only reliable one in my country. Gigabyte PSUs always seemed sketchy to me. Cooler Master doesn't make good ones anymore. Seasonic EVGA and Be Quiet are good competitors

That being said... Why the 3800X? Does he intend to do stuff other than gaming?

Dec 2, 2020
There's a few things I'd change. The RAM is good

The motherboard requires flashing, yes. Any MSI "B450 MAX" motherboards or any brand B550 motherboards don't.
You dont need 750W. For that GPU and CPU, a Corsair CX650 bronze non modular is enough. If you're buying RTX, Corsair RM650 is recommended. I don't buy anything other than Corsair because it's the only reliable one in my country. Gigabyte PSUs always seemed sketchy to me. Cooler Master doesn't make good ones anymore. Seasonic EVGA and Be Quiet are good competitors

That being said... Why the 3800X? Does he intend to do stuff other than gaming?

Thank you so much! I'm getting the 3800X because I can't find the others in stock anywhere. I don't mind paying a bit more.

I'll definitely look into Corsair now. Thank you!

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Thank you so much! I'm getting the 3800X because I can't find the others in stock anywhere. I don't mind paying a bit more.

I'll definitely look into Corsair now. Thank you!
You know, if it's primarily for gaming. You don't need a 3800X

Heres what I would suggest: 5600X if possible, but that's unlikely of course. If not that, and if this is ONLY a gaming build, go for the i5-10400F. The motherboard is cheaper, the RAM (3000mhz supported) will be cheaper, this will allow for RTX card and aftermarket cooler

Or a 3600. They're both good for gaming, if you want to squeeze in a more powerful GPU, id suggest the 10400F + 3060 Ti. $400 GPU can do ultra 1080p 144fps every single setting maxed

Dec 2, 2020
You know, if it's primarily for gaming. You don't need a 3800X

Heres what I would suggest: 5600X if possible, but that's unlikely of course. If not that, and if this is ONLY a gaming build, go for the i5-10400F. The motherboard is cheaper, the RAM (3000mhz supported) will be cheaper, this will allow for RTX card and aftermarket cooler

Or a 3600. They're both good for gaming, if you want to squeeze in a more powerful GPU, id suggest the 10400F + 3060 Ti. $400 GPU can do ultra 1080p 144fps every single setting maxed
One of the big problems I'm having is that the AMD processors are out of stock in many places and the 3060 TI came out today and is sold out already.

In that case, here
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/D3Hqht

This has the RM650x (same as the RM650, just a little older, but quality is actually superior)

Freezer 34 esports duo. Hands down best air cooler under $60. Intel stock coolers are bad, really bad.

This whole build is about $150 cheaper than the one you showed (assuming the 1660 Ti is about $250, you now have $400 for a GPU) This CPU (10400, without an F) has an iGPU (Intel UHD 630), granted it's completely useless for gaming, but you can get by with it for a month or so, and keep checking the 3060 Ti stocks and grab one asap for $400-450.

Edit: btw since yiu said "at least 60" I assumed your monitor is 144hz. The 3060 Ti is worth it only if it's 144hz, otherwise your monitor will be holding the entire pc back. In that case, see if you can get an RTX 2060 instead, for $300 or so if possible. That can do 60 fps with RT on. Will look beautiful

Solution

Staticisgood

Honorable
Oct 27, 2014
I would consider switching to the B550 board. The 3800X seems fine since that's all that you find available right now, and in the future he can opt to move to a 5000 series CPU and 3000 series GPU. Everything else that Prad_Bitt has said I can easily agree with.

I just finished gathering all the parts for my son's 1st build as well for Christmas this year.

This is that list if you are interested for comparison. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qDbW9N
Ignore my prices. I only ordered items when I could grab them with sale's/rebates/etc. I left room for upgrades. The GPU was a hand-me-down.

I would consider switching to the B550 board. The 3800X seems fine since that's all that you find available right now, and in the future he can opt to move to a 5000 series CPU and 3000 series GPU. Everything else that Prad_Bitt has said I can easily agree with.

I just finished gathering all the parts for my son's 1st build as well for Christmas this year.

This is that list if you are interested for comparison. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qDbW9N
Ignore my prices. I only ordered items when I could grab them with sale's/rebates/etc. I left room for upgrades. The GPU was a hand-me-down.
Yes. The reason I suggested against the, 3800x is, marginal and average returns for gaming are very low on that CPU. it is good for future proofing yes, but 10400+ powerful gpu is an overall more future proof build