[SOLVED] Abrupt shut downs?

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Hi all,

on my del studio laptop 1555, win 10(officially supported till win 7 only) I faced frequent t shutdowns which I strongly believe is caused by graphic drivers (because i remember when I tried linux on safe mode, that is amd radeon disabled there were no shut downs.

then i tweaked power settings as under creating a new plan as under, after that zero shut downs.
Can someone advise which settings below have resulted in stopping shut downs? Thanks

turn off display Never Never
put to sleep Never Never

advance settings >>>>

turn off HD , on battery 180 mints plugged in 180 mints
wireless adapter settings >> maximum
sleep after>> never>>
hybrid >> off
hybernate>>off
allow wake>> disable
usb suspend>>disable
processor>>min and max both 5%
system cooling>> both passive
max processer state >> both 100%
turn off display>>never
ATI Graphics Power Settings>>on battery '''maximize batt life
plugged in >> maximize batt life

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
If a laptop is shutting down without warning, the problem can be;
a| the laptop is experiencing an overheating issue
b| the power delivery in the laptop is being overtaxed, so the circuit is tripping, a.k.a, thermal protection
or
c| OS your laptop is doesn't like a driver that is installed.

Since your laptop doesn't officially support Windows 10, there are some things you can do. You can install all drivers meant for Windows 7 on your laptop while in Windows 10 in compatibility mode. Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows 7(from the drop down menu).

You can also parse the SKU for your dell laptop so we can see what your drivers look like. Also, are you on the latest BIOS update for your laptop?

Reactions: icarus2712

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
If a laptop is shutting down without warning, the problem can be;
a| the laptop is experiencing an overheating issue
b| the power delivery in the laptop is being overtaxed, so the circuit is tripping, a.k.a, thermal protection
or
c| OS your laptop is doesn't like a driver that is installed.

Since your laptop doesn't officially support Windows 10, there are some things you can do. You can install all drivers meant for Windows 7 on your laptop while in Windows 10 in compatibility mode. Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows 7(from the drop down menu).

You can also parse the SKU for your dell laptop so we can see what your drivers look like. Also, are you on the latest BIOS update for your laptop?

But Windows 10 officially installed all the drivers, which seems to be working fine for rest of hardware, additional it installed amd ratheon 4500 from windows updates.
Could this driver be culprit? U mean I uninstall all the drivers (how) a and reinstall win 7 from dell website , in compatible mode?

And how come the above mentioned advanced battery tweaking solved the issue, so far that is?

How to parse SKU?

THANKS

Colif

Win 11 Master
He isn't saying to reinstall win 7, he saying to use win 7 drivers.
You sure that win 10 will let him install unsigned drivers lutfi? and run them?

its possibly disabling hibernate and hybrid may have helped with the shutdowns as if you have older drivers installed that aren't win 10 drivers, they may not like the new power plans in win 10 and caused oddities. turning fast startup off on older models can avoid errors. Just a though :)

Overheating is always possible too.

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
He isn't saying to reinstall win 7, he saying to use win 7 drivers.
You sure that win 10 will let him install unsigned drivers lutfi? and run them?

its possibly disabling hibernate and hybrid may have helped with the shutdowns as if you have older drivers installed that aren't win 10 drivers, they may not like the new power plans in win 10 and caused oddities. turning fast startup off on older models can avoid errors. Just a though :)

Overheating is always possible too.

since win 10 have installed automatically all drivers, how do i overwrite them like. win 7 drivers are available on dell website-in exe format- and i can download and install them in compatible mode. will this overwrite those drivers installed by win 10?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: icarus2712
Solution

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
I don't think win 10 will let you overwrite them or install the old drivers
Windows 10 only allows drivers that have been signed to work with win 10 run or be installed. If Dell never gave them to Microsoft for signing, you may not be able to install them now.

win 10 likely has newer versions of many of these drivers - https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/studio-1555/drivers

Yes , I downloaded video adaptor driver AMD from this site , uninstalled windows 10 amd 4500 display driver which it installed as part of updates, ran in compatiblty windows 7 , and the driver was changed to amd 4570 , the original driver.

My laptop still shuts down on every other power plans which are windows default except on which I created , mentioned above.
I mean there has to be something in my power plan which is preventing shutdowns?
I am still not able to put a finger on it.