Question Absolutely no power today, (is this my problem?)

Jan 15, 2023
Hey so I put together a pc for my cousin and everything was fine for a few days it worked flawlessly, so i unplugged it and set it aside till he picked it up, (Roughly 2 weeks)
We go and plug it in and it's completly dead. no lights no nothing. It's a brand new PSU, New Ram, and the motherboard and CPU are from my old build. I've jumped the PSU and yup it works.

I took it all apart and just tried mobo and PSU together, still nothing. So out of frustration i started taking off the little shrouds msi has covering everything. and I found this Link To Image

would this be causing me my problems and what do you recommend in this situation, Am i looking at buying a new mobo or do you think this can be cleaned I'm thinking qtips and iso alcohol but i really have no idea

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Aresgame.... about a month old.... I see where this is going lol
Where? Not the best PSU, but should be sufficient to power this rig.

We ask about makes/models because details matter.

You know you must have a GPU installed for this rig to work at all? The 2700X lacks an integrated video controller, regardless of the ports on the motherboard. When testing, was there a video card installed?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jan 15, 2023
Yes i've tried it with and without the GPU and still dead.

I also just tried my old thermaltake 650w PSU and still nothing and i know it worked to power the bare minimum. So im thinking it's just gonna be time to retire this motherboard

Yes i've tried it with and without the GPU and still dead.

I also just tried my old thermaltake 650w PSU and still nothing and i know it worked to power the bare minimum. So im thinking it's just gonna be time to retire this motherboard

Yeah, it seems so. cleaning off the dust, resetting CMOS (taking out battery and shorting pins) might resurrect it. Try it and see if it works.

In terms of cleaning maybe not q-tips as they can leave small strand residue. Simple lint free cloth/kitchen towels will suffice. Yes, ISO is good for cleaning and evaporates quickly.

You could bring to local repair store, and get them to test/swap out the mobo. It might only cost about 20£$€ or so. Just to be sure, before you shell out on a new mobo.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Dirty for sure, but that shouldn't affect anything other than temps, dirt acts as an insulator and traps heat.

My thought would be its something to do with the transportation of the pc. Just plugging in the motherboard and turning on the psu should provide power on the 5v rail, regardless of whether the pc is off or on. You'll get motherboard leds on, power to the USB ports etc. If not, then either the 20+4pin connection is bad, or there's a wire/connection pinched/shorted and tripping SC or OCP immediately and shutting the psu down.

I'd go through everything, looking for anything that can be grounded out or not right before assuming a mobo will fix the problem, since 2x different psus have the same results.

Jan 15, 2023
i went looking at every little pin and for a moment i got so excited i noticed one of the 24 pins cable was pushing out of the housing, but no luck. I'm just gonna step away from it and wait for either new mobo or psu, i've put way too much effort into this for a cousin lol.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate the effort.