Access is Denied When Trying to Initialize Disk

SirAndrewVII

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
Hey, so I recently got a new SSD. The issue is, when I go into "Computer Management" and then "Disk Management" to initialize the SSD, I right click it, select "Initialize Disk", press "MBR", and press "OK", but it says "Access is denied." every time. Does anyone have any suggestions? If this helps, the bar next to it is black, and it says "Unallocated".

Solution
I see! Okay then, make sure you have enabled the local administrator account. This way you might be able to get the permission to initialize the disk. Here's a tutorial from the Win7 forum that might help you: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-built-administrator-account-enable-disable.html
Another thing you could try is initializing/re-formatting it on another computer and see if the error "Access is Denied" is still present. If it is, you might want to contact your SSD manufacturer for assistance because the drive could be faulty.
If you don't have access to a different computer, I'd maybe try using a SATA-to-USB cable to plug the SSD externally and try to initialize it from there.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes...

SirAndrewVII

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014

Thank you for the help, but I know how to DO it. The problem is that I am being denied access every time I attempt to initialize the disk. I was wondering how I can fix that. Thanks!

I see! Okay then, make sure you have enabled the local administrator account. This way you might be able to get the permission to initialize the disk. Here's a tutorial from the Win7 forum that might help you: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/507-built-administrator-account-enable-disable.html
Another thing you could try is initializing/re-formatting it on another computer and see if the error "Access is Denied" is still present. If it is, you might want to contact your SSD manufacturer for assistance because the drive could be faulty.
If you don't have access to a different computer, I'd maybe try using a SATA-to-USB cable to plug the SSD externally and try to initialize it from there.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution