[SOLVED] Accidentally installed internal HDD while PC in sleep mode. Could I have caused damage?

Cassie2011

Commendable
May 26, 2021
After install, The PC came awake with no indication of issues, and I immediately shut it down. However, after reboot I get the message "Fixing (C drive). It went through this quick and everything seems fine. But is this indicative of damage, or short circuit I've caused? The HDD was a new & unformatted Seagate BarraCuda.

Any insights much appreciated.

Update- I just called Dell to help me set up the replacement drive and also told them my concern. They said that there is no way any damage could have been done under the circumstances. Does that sound right? It just seems very strange that I would get this "fixing" message just after the install.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree, it is HIGHLY UNlikely that any damage was done. What MAY have happened is that there was a little confusion generated when your system ran through its start-up checks. For example, those checks may have discovered that, although the new HDD was there and able to run, it had NO information on it so it could not answer some queries about itself. More thorough checks after that would have settled the question.

Reactions: Cassie2011