[SOLVED] accidently deleted ubuntu partition

rookiez7punk

Reputable
Jan 25, 2019
help, i accidently deleted my ubuntu partition and now stuck at grub rescue. i'm using dual os, my main one is Windows 7 64 bit, i installed ubuntu long time ago for some kind of work but cancelled so i never use it and been too lazy to uninstall it, and yesterday i delete the partition which is i thought it waa okay

i tried boot from my bootable usb, but having the same problem, grub rescue again, havent tried using Windows 7 usb bootable but i'm kinda scared it will have the same problem

i tried using
grub rescue> ls
that show (hd0), (hd0,msdos2), (hd0,msdos1), (hd1), (hd1,msdos1)

but all of them is unknown file system

what should i do? should i try using windows bootable usb?

Edit : i've tried my ubuntu bootable usb that failed to boot in my pc on another pc and nothing wrong, it booting properly to ubuntu loading screen

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah Grub needs the Linux partition to boot, the boot manager was in the partition you deleted. MBR has only a little bit of space so only part of the boot code fits (the part that gives you the rescue prompt among other things). You need to reconstruct code in MBR that start's Windows's boot manager on the Windows system partition.

Try booting from Windows install DVD, it should offer an option to repair your install.

Wu-Zi-Mu

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
Yeah Grub needs the Linux partition to boot, the boot manager was in the partition you deleted. MBR has only a little bit of space so only part of the boot code fits (the part that gives you the rescue prompt among other things). You need to reconstruct code in MBR that start's Windows's boot manager on the Windows system partition.

Try booting from Windows install DVD, it should offer an option to repair your install.

Solution