Question Acer Aspire 5532 series laptop no screen/hdd activity

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
Hello everyone.

I have recently been gifted an Acer Aspire 5532 laptop. I just got to looking it over last night to try and get it set up for my son for homework. It will not boot.

specs:
amd athlon x64 - TF-36 (2Ghz cpu)
Ati radeon hd 3200
2gb memory
320gb hdd

I have tried the following:

• bios hard reset
  • boot with/without hdd
  • boot with/without cpu
  • boot with/without original and different memory modules
  • boot with/without battery
  • boot with different power adapter (matching voltage and amperage)
  • boot with/without an external monitor
  • boot with a windows 7 /8/10 usb drive to try a fresh install.
im stumped, thinking the bios or possibly the mainboard is dead?

when i power on (in any of the above situations) i get a blank screen (no backlight or anything) no hdd activity.. however the fans do spin up, and heat is generated from the cpu rad if left running for a while.

It also seems to get stuck in a boot loop re-boots after about a minute to 2 minutes of runtime.

Lodmot

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
I would say once you notice the laptop doing its reboot loop, press F2 to try and get into the bios and see what you can access from there... Unless it's actually physically not posting at all.

Also, you might want to try the flashlight trick on the LCD screen. It's possible the LCD panel is in fact showing an image, but the actual screen's backlight isnt functioning...

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
I would say once you notice the laptop doing its reboot loop, press F2 to try and get into the bios and see what you can access from there... Unless it's actually physically not posting at all.

Also, you might want to try the flashlight trick on the LCD screen. It's possible the LCD panel is in fact showing an image, but the actual screen's backlight isnt functioning...

I have tested to try and get into the bios, and also hit the screen with a flashlight (forgot to mention these trials)

I also forgot to mention that i picked up a broken laptop last night, same model, (the ac plug port has been snapped off of the mainboard), i pulled the charged battery off of the laptop that i am troubleshooting, and the broken laptop booted as far as the bios. (no hdd as the owner took it out). i then went as far as swapping the screens. and the laptop i am troubleshooting still showed nothing.