Question Acer aspire CMOS battery míster y.

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Hi. Recently I bought a second hand Acer aspire 5920, with its battery totally worn out, and also its CMOS cell battery, I kwow it because data in BIOS was 2007; certainly, not the year we live on. Because of that, I purchased a new battery. The surprise came when, once I charged and inserted the New battery, and after changing date and time into Win7, I turned off the laptop, and then turned on it again Just to test if it'll keep the charge.
All was ok, but...
When I cheched date and time... both were still right!!!
I must say that I have no connection to the Internet, and also the Windows time is disabled in services.
But, what surprised me the most is that date and time into the BIOS also was right, and remained intact even with battery detached!!
What does this mean?, had the cell battery take charge from the mai battery in some manner?, was it re chargeable? I have build severa pcs, changed CMOS batteries, and know that once they're gone, data and time neve return, so this situation is confusing me so much.
Any help Will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
But, what surprised me the most is that date and time into the BIOS also was right, and remained intact even with battery detached!!
If you swapped out the CMOS battery in a matter of seconds, then it's possible that the residual power was what retained the power on the board.

Then again,
I kwow it because data in BIOS was 2007
I think you meant to say the date stamp for the BIOS's creation. Did you see the clock set to 12:00 when you first fired the laptop after purchase? If not, then the CMOS battery was fine to begin with.

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Hi. The laptop has its main battery dead. And the cmos cell battery is so hidden that i wasnt able to touch it. ;) And... No, the data and time was for the laptop, it says 00:00 hrs. January the first of 2007 in the task bar. The data of the build, of course, was 2007 (once I looked to the BIOS when I first turned on the laptop and cheked the BIOS to see if the CMOS battery was ok). :)