Acer Doubles C7 Chromebook's RAM, Updates HDD, More

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Here's the thing: people don't trust companies with their info. Chromebook gives the companies EVERYTHING, and puts people at the mercy of internet providers.

Not interested.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
This is actually quite a good Netbook... to install Windows. Sorry, it really is, with the RAM upgrade, and especially the HDD upgrade, it really seems they are almost hoping people give these a consideration because they can install Windows on it, and maybe, just maybe, try Chrome OS before and see if they like it.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]MasterMace[/nom]Here's the thing: people don't trust companies with their info. Chromebook gives the companies EVERYTHING, and puts people at the mercy of internet providers.Not interested.[/citation]
You connect to the internet? You do? You're already providing the ISPs with everything.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]This is actually quite a good Netbook... to install Windows. Sorry, it really is, with the RAM upgrade, and especially the HDD upgrade, it really seems they are almost hoping people give these a consideration because they can install Windows on it, and maybe, just maybe, try Chrome OS before and see if they like it.[/citation]

I've tried it in best buy. The google guy told me that it was the second day without plugging it to the wall (it was a samsung, though), what I noticed was that he would show it and then immediately close the lid so it would sleep. Chrome is good for somebody that will check emails and navigate the internet for a while to check some simple stuff. forget about doing too much. I would rather have a tablet and add a keyboard, personally. It is interesting, but looks more limited than android. Only the old people were buying it.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]You connect to the internet? You do? You're already providing the ISPs with everything.[/citation]

Connecting to the internet does not provide your ISP with any sensitive data that is stored on your local drive and not being sent over the internet...

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]You connect to the internet? You do? You're already providing the ISPs with everything.[/citation]
I think he means google.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Chromebook's cloud-based Chrome OS and built-in virus protection refresh on reboot,"
wasn't there an article that the google android antimalware was like 15% detection rate?

Unlike other computers, Chromebooks get better with age. Plus, Chrome OS's intuitive interface makes it all so simple."

It'd better get better with age, otherwise if bugs are not resolved and performance improved no one will adopt it!
And the interface is very simple, for there is not much to do, though I don't know how many apps does google have that can run in this OS

InvalidError

Titan
I think Mace's comment has more to do with how cloud-centric applications/OS tend to store every trivial thing online and become severely crippled without internet connectivity than the ISP benefiting from some new information to leverage. App writers/publishers though do get privileged access to tons of information and I can see why people may be worried about that - I'm not particularly comfortable with the amount of personal info my Nexus7 contains, even less so considering that nearly every app "require" tons of permissions that have no apparent justification, likely due to the advertisement toolkit(s).

Before cloud-centric devices, devices focused on facilitating access to LAN-based storage and other devices but now, everyone is pushing towards online/cloud storage by making that easier to access than LAN. You want to transfer a file between two cloud-based devices, the files sync over the cloud instead of directly over the LAN. This could hurt quite a bit if (more) ISPs start implementing caps, in which case the issue is the amount of data transferred rather than its nature.

Cloud-based everything sounds nice in principle but it is also scary in many ways.

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Checked into it and there is a custom version of Ubuntu for these acer Chrome-books. "Our first step toward getting ChrUbuntu on the C7 is to put it in developer mode"
It's all here: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/12/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-acers-199-c7-chromebook/

I will have to keep my eyes out now at Best Buy for one of these. No dual booting into cloud computing for me, wipe the thing and give Ubuntu all of it.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]Connecting to the internet does not provide your ISP with any sensitive data that is stored on your local drive and not being sent over the internet...[/citation]
Okeydokey.

G

99% of what most normal people do is email and browser-based stuff anyway. For them, this is great. Netflix, Facebook, browsing the web...all with a simple interface that does not provide too much distraction. And, yes, it would make a lot of sense for seniors. I just don't think it does Skype.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
That is really good spec wise, but I already placed my order for Samsung Chromebook unfortunately it was not delivered to me and thus had to be re-ordered sadly. Though they definately stepped up their game to make a netbook that's worth considering, if I didn't already have my heart set on the Samsung Chromebook I would definatatly consider that updated c7.

Though personally I think they should have tossed in the larger battery and ram and left the HD alone and tried to his the $250 price point, or at least the battery to hit $250 to compete with the Samsung at their exact price point. Than the only big difference would have been the better build quality and less heat the Samsung has and the better spec and upgradable system would have been the Acer c7.

I am really hoping these cheap chromebooks bring back the cheap netbook market and make netbooks what they were suppose to be. Cheap laptops to get on the internet and do basic tasks cheaply and effectively.

map2010

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Well if your thinking The Chrome OS is a Basic Laptop for Kids and Old People you are wrong, this OS Type will take over The Whole OS World as you know it. Windows and Apple will Run to do the same and Redesign their Whole System in Both PC and Smart Phones, Micro Computing is Coming with High Power and Micro OS's. But this is a very good thing and if done right your OS and Apps will be smaller data packets that can be sent easy back and forth over The Internet to your Cloud Drive, I also believe you will have a Host Server at Home that you can use to back up or store Apps. If you remove Chrome OS your just stepping back in Time and not Forward.

billiu

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
I cannot wait for cloud-based computing to take over. I am done with messing around with local storage, usb hard drives, regular computer upgrade cycles and bloated OS junk. Most people don't live their lives on computers any longer. They live their lives online and the 1990s are so since over, so I think it's time for cloud-based devices to be the only stuff that I own. If I lose my internet connection for a period, I am not going to be using my computer anyway. I don't use any computers, or devices any longer offline. I have no need to use a computer offline any longer. Yes, I know some people do, but I don't; so, I have no reason to buy bloated OSes & "power user" computers (most people don't) ... I have some uses left for "power user" stuff, but I have a fast internet connection set and I can easily remote access into centralized Mac, Windows & Linux machines... If internet goes down, I have no use for a power machine anyway; so, I am outta luck with no internet, even if a power user machine is physically with me.

billiu

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
[citation][nom]MasterMace[/nom]Here's the thing: people don't trust companies with their info. Chromebook gives the companies EVERYTHING, and puts people at the mercy of internet providers.Not interested.[/citation]

Well, I don't have much of a use to be online without what these companies offer; so, unless someone is willing to offer the same stuff for free (with them losing tons of money, because of paranoid users), then I am stuck with these supposedly awful privacy policies. Look, even the most egregious of privacy policies have one thing in common: you're more than welcome to dump them and use your own resources to build the same innovative offerings. I suspect you don't have the personal resources & talents to do this, so if you had your way, the internet would be a desert: no water, no food, no reason to be there - but, with total privacy. Think about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.