Acer Founder: Windows 8 More Stable Than Apple iOS 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

lassik

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Kudos to both I say.

Windows mobile has come a long way, and in a lot of ways I prefer it to both iOS and Android.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I'm skipping Windows 8 entirely. I like being able to boot directly to desktop, and I don't like big corporations trying to control how I use my computer.

Oh, and that terrifying picture of Acer's founder is here just in time for Halloween! :)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Stan has a bumper sticker on his car that says "Shih Happens"
It's nice that he says it is more stable, it's difficult doing Apples & Oranges comparisons as Windows is a real OS and iOS is really just a toy OS

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Intel CEO Paul Otellini saying "Windows 8 is one of the best things that ever happened to Intel"
reminds me of the old Bill Gates quote:

"640K is more memory than anyone will ever need"

Think again guys...

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Once released, we'll see how stable it is. I kind of remember somebody having to switch tablets during a presentation... And I'm pretty sure it wasn't Cooks...

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]How much did he get paid to say this ?[/citation]
I take it you've never tried Windows 8. You may not like the UI but when it comes to stability and performance, W8 does it very well - better than W7 which is an OS that has been flawless for me so far (no BSODs or errors). This comment by Acer founder is not farfetched

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Intel CEO Paul Otellini saying "Windows 8 is one of the best things that ever happened to Intel"reminds me of the old Bill Gates quote: "640K is more memory than anyone will ever need"Think again guys...[/citation]

It was actually never proven that he said that.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Worst software ever:Windows ME, AOL, Windows Vista and now Windows 8![/citation]
Who say's Vista is one of the worst software ever. With newer Hardware and and lots of windows update's, vista is just as good as Win Heaven(7).

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Worst software ever:Windows ME, AOL, Windows Vista and now Windows 8![/citation]
No mention RealPlayer, CometCursor, IE6, SoftRAM or BMG rootkit fiasco? Something tells me you weren't around in the early days of the internet to see what really bad software was.

Ever put a retail CD into your computer and have it install a rootkit on behalf of Sony without notifying you in any way? I have.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
He may have gotten pretty much feedback on Win8 performance and stability from his legions of software engineers at Acer so i might take his assessment on that. I doubt if he has this level of feedback on iOS6, but he's entitled to his own opinion.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]He may have gotten pretty much feedback on Win8 performance and stability from his legions of software engineers at Acer so i might take his assessment on that. I doubt if he has this level of feedback on iOS6, but he's entitled to his own opinion.[/citation]

I doubt he's listening to his legions of software engineers, more his marketing and finance group.
Clearly they want to make it sound their products will be on a 'more stable' OS then the largest competitor Apple.

Just a marketing ploy, how do you fully gauge stability of a product that hasn't even been released fully to consumer and business?

[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]Who say's Vista is one of the worst software ever. With newer Hardware and and lots of windows update's, vista is just as good as Win Heaven(7).[/citation]
Vista, at launch, was one of the worst platforms available. It is not so much an issue of the OS being bad, because really it was pretty sound (I mean, it is the core of win7 and win8 which are both rock solid). The issue was more of a communication problem between MS and hardware makers. The hardware makers just did not understand just how different Vista was from XP, and for most of them it was their first attempt at 64bit anything, and so the drivers were aweful for that first year or so. But this is still largely MS' fault for not explaining the importance, and signing drivers for use with Vista that simply sucked and caused no end of issues (both stability and security).

The only issue with win8 though is an aesthetic one. If one click is too hard to get to the desktop, then you are just lazy. win8 otherwise works better than win7, giving many more options to programs (both metro and desktop), better support for more interface devices (though speech is disappointing, but may be fixed in time), and overall better use of hardware.

And for those who complain about getting to the desktop: If you are on desktop, and put the machine to sleep, it will wake up back in desktop. It is only if you turn off, or reset the computer that you have to worry about dealing with metro.

cornandbeans

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]i wish install windows 8 in my htpc, but i dont have a dvd to burn. in the Piratebay i see some original copies avaliable.[/citation]
USB universal installer and a thumb drive is what you need.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]I'm skipping Windows 8 entirely. I like being able to boot directly to desktop, and I don't like big corporations trying to control how I use my computer.Oh, and that terrifying picture of Acer's founder is here just in time for Halloween![/citation]

I believe this article is about the Mobile OS.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah well he's probably right. Though i'm sure he'll say tomorrow that the surface isn't stable enough.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]No mention RealPlayer, CometCursor, IE6, SoftRAM or BMG rootkit fiasco? Something tells me you weren't around in the early days of the internet to see what really bad software was. Ever put a retail CD into your computer and have it install a rootkit on behalf of Sony without notifying you in any way? I have.[/citation]
itunes?

If Windows 8 and Windows 7 were running on few hand pick hardware and software ONLY, then they will run as stable as Apple iOS.
Just try configuring a system (e.g. Mac Pro desktop) on Apple store. You could configure a $8,000 system with one OS, one processor series (Xeon) from Intel, two video cards from one manufacturer (AMD), memory (from one vendor I assume), one optical drive model, two hard drives and one SSD and the mainboard, which I think it is only one model available.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]I'm skipping Windows 8 entirely. I like being able to boot directly to desktop, and I don't like big corporations trying to control how I use my computer.Oh, and that terrifying picture of Acer's founder is here just in time for Halloween![/citation]
"The big corporations" are the ones that brought you the other OS version, doesn`t that make them the ones that "controlled" you how you use your computer in the first place ? You`re just a crybaby, you`re throwing away innovation just because of a silly start up screen. On my laptop i use only hibernate mode,that makes me always boot up in desktop mode btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.