[SOLVED] Acer Nitro 7 CPU Throttling Issue when loading CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 16, 2020
I own a Acer Nitro 7 AN715-51 model gaming laptop (Intel i5-9300H). Recently I noticed that while running games or any other benchmarks my cpu clock speed drops from the usual 3.9 Ghz to 2.0 GHz or even lower and stays there. As soon as the application or game is closed or minimized the clock speed comes back to almost 4.0 GHz. I do not understand why this issue occurs. The BIOS is at latest version for this model.
  • Temperatures ranges around 75C - 95C which is normal from the time I got my laptop
  • And no, my laptop used to run at these temperatures AND AT MAXIMUM FREQUENCY without any throttling although it would show Thermal Throttling in ThrottleStop.
  • Clock speed is normal while Idle
  • I have not undervolted or underclocked my CPU/GPU
  • I reset/re installed windows already and issue still persists
  • I have also updated my BIOS to the latest version available
  • Related Screenshots
  • I tried to disable BD-Prochot, Intel Speed Step and every other major possibility that I found on the internet.
  • Maximum & Minimum Processor State is set to 100% (Power Plan: High Performance w/ maximum performance settings AND Fan speed at Maximum)
At this point I'm clueless as to what is causing this issue. If anyone here can help me in any way possible I'd really appreciate it.

Solution
The 3.9ghz (up to 4.1ghz) is intel turbo boost technology just boosting single core higher.
Intel Turbo Boost technology is designed to boost all cores higher. A 9300H can run night and day on all cores at 4.0 GHz as long as it is not thermal or power limit throttling.

The screenshot posted shows Max temperature 95°C and max power consumption 34.6W. The 9300H has a 45W TDP rating. Your cooling is not adequate. The heatsink and fan need to be thoroughly cleaned and the thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink should be replaced.

my laptop used to run at these temperatures AND AT MAXIMUM FREQUENCY
You need to get your temperatures under control to restore performance.

Use Cinebench R20 or R23 for testing purposes...
Nov 16, 2020
@xfire16451 - If your computer used to work OK then it is not a defective motherboard. I have never heard that excuse before. The problem is the technician and the thermal paste he used.

It is not unusual for thermal paste to degrade over time, especially in a laptop that constantly runs at high temperatures. Replacing the thermal paste is normal maintenance. Kind of like changing the oil in your car.
Okay man, I'll live up with that hope and get back as soon as a proper re-paste is done.
Thank you very much for the support guys!

thermal pads
As long as a thermal pad is not too thick, it should not interfere with the clamping force between the heatsink and the CPU or GPU. Keep an eye on your temperatures after you are done.

Some laptops have problems when using MX-4. The temps are great at first but long term, some laptops need to be re-pasted frequently. If you see temperatures creeping up a month from now, try using a different paste.

Nov 16, 2020
@uWebb429 The temperatures were good for like 1 day and again they've started hitting 80's and 90's, although the CPU doesn't throttle now.
I found out that my CPU Clock throttling occured when GPU temp. hit 85 degree C and above. Now that I've underclocked my GPU, the CPU doesn't throttle as much while still running at high temperature (GPU: 75 to 86, CPU: 88 - 96 when gaming and less than 55 when idle).

So what paste do you suggest for laptops that is really good at reducing heat in long-term?

And about thermal pads, I have several thin thermal pads. I just wanna know if its safe to wipe off those pink paste and apply these thermal pads there...

temperatures were good for like 1 day
This is a common complaint with MX-4 when used on a laptop CPU. Try Noctua NT-H2 or do some Google searching about what pastes work best long term in laptops. Most reviews test 20 different pastes for 5 minutes each and then draw a big chart that show them to be all pretty much the same. This is useless information and does not mean anything long term.

Nov 16, 2020
This is a common complaint with MX-4 when used on a laptop CPU. Try Noctua NT-H2 or do some Google searching about what pastes work best long term in laptops. Most reviews test 20 different pastes for 5 minutes each and then draw a big chart that show them to be all pretty much the same. This is useless information and does not mean anything long term.
Ah, alright man. I'll look for some other brand then.. Thanks a ton!