[SOLVED] Acer Predator 144hz monitor only showing 24hz, 60hz and 80hz?

Nov 27, 2019
Just got a new monitor today and only options are 24hz, 60hz and 80hz. It's an Acer Predator XB241YU Gsync monitor. Yes, I'm using a DisplayPort (that came with the monitor itself).

There are no options in the OSD to change the refresh rate limit it just shows what I'm running. Tried enabling the overclock option to see if I could then change the refresh rate but this also doesn't change anything.

Tried changing the Refresh rate in the NVIDIA control panel and windows display settings. Also tried customising the resolution setttings in NVIDIA control panel and setting it to 144 but the screen just stops working.

Currently running with a 1080ti graphics card so can definitely support it, tried all 3 DisplayPorts and none allow me to go above that.

Even changing resolution to 1080p it won't allow me to go above 85hz...

Not sure if this information is useful but this is what says came with it:
Miscellaneous
TCO CertificationTCO Certified Displays 7
Cables Included1 x DisplayPort cable ¦ 1 x SuperSpeed USB cable
Compliant StandardsMPR II

Edit: Forgot to mention I was running 2 monitors a 1920x1080 with it originally however I unplugged it while I sort this mess out. No I'm not running "clone mode" or any settings just the singular display currently. Updated graphics drivers, windows update etc.

Solution
1440p 85 Hz limit means the DP connection is failing link training at the higher speed and is falling back to a slower transmission speed. This affects 1080p as well due to GPU scaling, since the GPU will transmit at 1440p no matter what resolution is selected. Usually this is caused by a poor quality cable but could just be a flaky connection or DP receiver. Try unplugging the monitor cables (including the power cable) for a minute or two to reset it.
Just got a new monitor today and only options are 24hz, 60hz and 80hz. It's an Acer Predator XB241YU Gsync monitor. Yes, I'm using a DisplayPort (that came with the monitor itself).

There are no options in the OSD to change the refresh rate limit it just shows what I'm running. Tried enabling the overclock option to see if I could then change the refresh rate but this also doesn't change anything.

Tried changing the Refresh rate in the NVIDIA control panel and windows display settings. Also tried customising the resolution setttings in NVIDIA control panel and setting it to 144 but the screen just stops working.

Currently running with a 1080ti graphics card so can definitely support it, tried all 3 DisplayPorts and none allow me to go above that.

Even changing resolution to 1080p it won't allow me to go above 85hz...

Not sure if this information is useful but this is what says came with it:
Miscellaneous
TCO CertificationTCO Certified Displays 7
Cables Included1 x DisplayPort cable ¦ 1 x SuperSpeed USB cable
Compliant StandardsMPR II

Edit: Forgot to mention I was running 2 monitors a 1920x1080 with it originally however I unplugged it while I sort this mess out. No I'm not running "clone mode" or any settings just the singular display currently. Updated graphics drivers, windows update etc.
it sounds like the gpu is failing to detect proper drivers for the monitor that or it's the pc it's self try using driver booster to update drivers

1440p 85 Hz limit means the DP connection is failing link training at the higher speed and is falling back to a slower transmission speed. This affects 1080p as well due to GPU scaling, since the GPU will transmit at 1440p no matter what resolution is selected. Usually this is caused by a poor quality cable but could just be a flaky connection or DP receiver. Try unplugging the monitor cables (including the power cable) for a minute or two to reset it.

Solution
Nov 27, 2019
Okay, the cable came and it works! They must have gave me a dodgy cable or something. Thank you all for taking the time to read and attempt to help me it was very much appreciated.

Solved!

Reactions: Glenwing