[SOLVED] Acer Predator XB273U 1440p/240hz/10bit Problem

Riken664

Prominent
Apr 9, 2021
Hello, I have just bought the Acer Predator XB273U GXbmiipruzx and I'm pretty happy with it overall. However, I cannot enable 1440p/ 240hz/10bit all together, when I turn the refresh rate down to 120hz, sure enough, the 10bit option in the nvidia panel shows on again. I have read somewhere on reddit even before buying the monitor, that in order for it to be possible to run this monitor at it's full potential, it would require a graphics card that supports displayport 1.4 or "DSC" which would make perfect sense, since I'm currently using gtx 950 which to my knowledge, supports up to displayport 1.2 - would make sense that 1440p/120hz/10bit is the limit.
So I guess I would like some more opinions on this, are any of you running a similar configuration? is 1440p/ 240hz/10bit actually possible on displayport 1.4? Does that mean that all I need is an upgrade to a card with DP 1.4/DSC support?

There's also another thing. There's something weird happening to the text once the refresh rate is set to 240hz.
View: https://imgur.com/a/Vi5gxwq

The first image shows text on 240hz, second 120hz. For some reason on the 240hz setting the text looks like those early 3d illusion pictures with red and blue glasses, no idea why that is happening. I've tried using cleartype to correct for that, but to no use. Weirdly enough, not all text does that, mostly just windows related and some web text, discord being the worst offender - pictures showcase just that.

Last edited:
Solution
Hello, I have just bought the Acer Predator XB273U GXbmiipruzx and I'm pretty happy with it overall. However, I cannot enable 1440p/ 240hz/10bit all together, when I turn the refresh rate down to 120hz, sure enough, the 10bit option in the nvidia panel shows on again. I have read somewhere on reddit even before buying the monitor, that in order for it to be possible to run this monitor at it's full potential, it would require a graphics card that supports displayport 1.4 or "DSC" which would make perfect sense, since I'm currently using gtx 950 which to my knowledge, supports up to displayport 1.2 - would make sense that 1440p/120hz/10bit is the limit.
So I guess I would like some more opinions on this, are any of you running a...
So I guess I would like some more opinions on this, are any of you running a similar configuration? is 1440p/ 240hz/10bit actually possible on displayport 1.4? Does that mean that all I need is an upgrade to a card with DP 1.4/DSC support?

There's also another thing. There's something weird happening to the text once the refresh rate is set to 240hz.
View: https://imgur.com/a/Vi5gxwq

The first image shows text on 240hz, second 120hz. For some reason on the 240hz setting the text looks like those early 3d illusion pictures with red and blue glasses, no idea why that is happening. I've tried using cleartype to correct for that, but to no use. Weirdly enough, not all text does that, mostly just windows related and some web text, discord being the worst offender - pictures showcase just that.
It's chroma subsampling, which is a reduction in color resolution in order to reduce bandwidth, because the card can't support that refresh rate at full resolution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riken664
Solution

Riken664

Prominent
Apr 9, 2021
I see, thank you.

So DSC is apparently almost lossless compression visually, can anyone vouch for that? I've read some opinions, and they range from people claiming they can see it, to others that say that it's virtually imperceptible. What are y'all opinions on this

Last edited: