Acer Readying AMD Ryzen-Powered Aspire Desktop PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick_Bateman

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
Why did they have to put that horrible glossy plastic on the front? It all looks good except for that area by the optical drive cages. Other than that, it is good to see AMD make a return to high-end gaming PCs.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The RX480 itself isn't underwhelming....just the fact that they're shipping new systems with Ryzen processors and an RX480 instead of the RX580 is a bit underwhelming.

G

The article says "before RX580 was readily available to OEMs". Is there any evidence that the RX580 is available to OEMs? It's not manufactured by AMD, only by partners. The back of the computer seems anemic. 6 usb and an ethernet port? Is that motherboard even compliant with AMD specifications?

There is a reason Acer is cheaper than everyone else......

AndyChow,
Why would you need more than 6xUSB, ethernet, and audio connections on the rear anyway?

You don't need video since it comes with a graphics card. If you really needed more than SIX USB you can always get a hub or addon card for pretty cheap.

Dch48

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
The RX580 is only minimally different from the 480. It is very slightly faster but that's it.

I have a Sapphire RX470 and I love it.

G

Since you ask, I want two usb-c. Don't have to be independent ports, could be shared. One for my cellphone, one for my laptop. But, that's me. If not, use the space. Just put some stuff that costs $0.05 and doesn't sacrifice anything. Like a ps/2, a couple usb-2, something.

Doesn't have to be a parallel port that no one uses but that 1% of 1% of linux user that insists on boycotting something that doesn't have vga, parallel and serial, because a cousin of a cousin once used that feature in the 70's But my anemic junk terminal has 10 active usb ports, and I have to use these usb-c converters for my phone and laptop. So there is an actual barebones usecase where 6*usb+ethernet isn't enough.

And it's fine that it has no video ports. The cpu doesn't have an integrated gpu, so it's very good that it doesn't have a video port. But, then, the ethernet should have WOL and those type of features.

Status
Not open for further replies.