Acer Sees More Success in Chrome OS Than in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]disolitude[/nom]Looks like Acer would like to keep selling cheap netbooks.[/citation]

Nothing wrong with it if they can make a profit off of it.

disolitude

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Nothing wrong with it if they can make a profit off of it.[/citation]
Notice how mr. Acer doesn't say anything about profit...

iniudan

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
[citation][nom]ethanolson[/nom]Look, I get why people bag on Windows 8 but it's still way better than Chrome OS. Just sayin'.[/citation]

Chrome OS, has it use and for user who are just looking for a cheap computer for basic task. Chrome OS will have better performance then Windows on similar hardware and much lesser hard drive foot print (ChromeOS take like 2GB, Windows 20GB), thus can easily put in a small capacity mSata SSD, and still having some usable storage and helping keeping the form factor of the laptop small, while still been cheap.

G

Well, it is obvious that a segment of users are finding their needs better served by smartphones and tablets, and therefore stop buying PCs. As PCs used to serve this segment as well so the switch is reducing the total market volume. Acer is just not able to make any significant in-road as far as the smartphones and tablets are concerns, and hence seeing their profit shrink. PC market volume will shrink and then stabilize at a new level, it will never disappear completely.

It is sort of like when everyone is eating french fries in the past and then suddenly someone introduces pizza, and then you see some people start eating pizzas and the total market volume of french fries start going down. But will everyone merely eat pizzas at the end? Not going to happen.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]disolitude[/nom]Looks like Acer would like to keep selling cheap netbooks.[/citation]

Consumers make the decision. There is nothing wrong with Chrome as an OS for 90% of the consumers. It's faster, it's more efficient, and it's cheaper. That's why mobile OSes are so popular because they do enough for their needs. Why pay more for more (and possibly slower), when you don't need more.

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Ok, I just bought the Windows 8 Pro upgrade, right before the deal expires..

And, I hate it so far. Even more than I imagined I would. Do I regret the purchase? Absolutely.

Anyway, I'm using Start8 now, and it's excellent and made me much happier. But the OS still feels weird.

MS better come up with something drastically better fast, or else its market share is going to tumble.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
As the general situation changes, companies have to evolve as they best can, for some it may mean ChromeOS, for some others, Win8:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/01/30/lenovo-sees-explosive-tablet-growth-ceo-enthusiastic-about-windows-8/

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
@Godfather666

So the thing that threw you from windows 8 was instead of a start menu you got a start screen... How is it that hard to figure out? God I hate these People. I remeber when XP first came out.,. Alot of people bitching and moaning about how it looked compaired to WIn95 how it was too colorfull, looked like a kids OS.. Funny thing to hear all the people PRAISE the hell out of it.. now.. XP wasn't really any good until Service Pack 2.
Here's a couple of hints for you so you can stop bitching about windows 8
1) See the win key on your keyboard.. it's been there for over a decade.. yeah.. there's your start button..
2) In desktop mode.. Right mouse click in the very bottom left hand corner.. Check out the awesome menu that pops up.. run search command prompt control panel, programs and features etc.. etc..
3) the Start Menue is gone.. GET OVER IT ALREADY.. it really wasn't that usefull in the first place.. To make life faster.. customize the start screen.. Get rid of all the CRAP that comes preloaded if you want.. (Right click on the icons and either un pin or uninstall) Create Groups on the start screen and Label them.. THen when you are in desktop mode and you want to start a new app.. click the win key on your keyboard and click the app you want.. WAY faster then click star click all programs click the program fold find the icon of the program you want to start..
4) Pin the most common programs you use to the task bar..
5) The simplest one on the planet.. how do you shut down your computer.. Just TAP the F*CKing power button on the PC.. it will go to sleep.. Ipads do it that way.. android tabs do it that way.,. how hard is it for you people to figure this shit out.
6) the charms bar on the left.. Move your mouse to the top right, the charms bar appears.. here you can go to settings and reastart or shut down your PC the old fashond way.. Also lots of other great things you can do.. the menu's are linked to the application that's open.

After reading all this if anyone can give me ONE SOLD REASON that Windows 8 is really that BAD.. then you are just to Lazy or stupid to be able to use something new.. Pack your shit up and take it back to the store, you are to stupid to use a computer..
Eat that

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
@Godfather666

So the thing that threw you from windows 8 was instead of a start menu you got a start screen... How is it that hard to figure out? God I hate these People. I remeber when XP first came out.,. Alot of people bitching and moaning about how it looked compaired to WIn95 how it was too colorfull, looked like a kids OS.. Funny thing to hear all the people PRAISE the hell out of it.. now.. XP wasn't really any good until Service Pack 2.
Here's a couple of hints for you so you can stop bitching about windows 8
1) See the win key on your keyboard.. it's been there for over a decade.. yeah.. there's your start button..
2) In desktop mode.. Right mouse click in the very bottom left hand corner.. Check out the awesome menu that pops up.. run search command prompt control panel, programs and features etc.. etc..
3) the Start Menue is gone.. GET OVER IT ALREADY.. it really wasn't that usefull in the first place.. To make life faster.. customize the start screen.. Get rid of all the CRAP that comes preloaded if you want.. (Right click on the icons and either un pin or uninstall) Create Groups on the start screen and Label them.. THen when you are in desktop mode and you want to start a new app.. click the win key on your keyboard and click the app you want.. WAY faster then click star click all programs click the program fold find the icon of the program you want to start..
4) Pin the most common programs you use to the task bar..
5) The simplest one on the planet.. how do you shut down your computer.. Just TAP the F*CKing power button on the PC.. it will go to sleep.. Ipads do it that way.. android tabs do it that way.,. how hard is it for you people to figure this shit out.
6) the charms bar on the left.. Move your mouse to the top right, the charms bar appears.. here you can go to settings and reastart or shut down your PC the old fashond way.. Also lots of other great things you can do.. the menu's are linked to the application that's open.

After reading all this if anyone can give me ONE SOLD REASON that Windows 8 is really that BAD.. then you are just to Lazy or stupid to be able to use something new.. Pack your shit up and take it back to the store, you are to stupid to use a computer..
Eat that

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]r3dl1n3[/nom]@Godfather666So the thing that threw you from windows 8 was instead of a start menu you got a start screen... How is it that hard to figure out? God I hate these People. I remeber when XP first came out.,. Alot of people bitching and moaning about how it looked compaired to WIn95 how it was too colorfull, looked like a kids OS.. Funny thing to hear all the people PRAISE the hell out of it.. now.. XP wasn't really any good until Service Pack 2.Here's a couple of hints for you so you can stop bitching about windows 81) See the win key on your keyboard.. it's been there for over a decade.. yeah.. there's your start button..2) In desktop mode.. Right mouse click in the very bottom left hand corner.. Check out the awesome menu that pops up.. run search command prompt control panel, programs and features etc.. etc..3) the Start Menue is gone.. GET OVER IT ALREADY.. it really wasn't that usefull in the first place.. To make life faster.. customize the start screen.. Get rid of all the CRAP that comes preloaded if you want.. (Right click on the icons and either un pin or uninstall) Create Groups on the start screen and Label them.. THen when you are in desktop mode and you want to start a new app.. click the win key on your keyboard and click the app you want.. WAY faster then click star click all programs click the program fold find the icon of the program you want to start..4) Pin the most common programs you use to the task bar..5) The simplest one on the planet.. how do you shut down your computer.. Just TAP the F*CKing power button on the PC.. it will go to sleep.. Ipads do it that way.. android tabs do it that way.,. how hard is it for you people to figure this shit out.6) the charms bar on the left.. Move your mouse to the top right, the charms bar appears.. here you can go to settings and reastart or shut down your PC the old fashond way.. Also lots of other great things you can do.. the menu's are linked to the application that's open.After reading all this if anyone can give me ONE SOLD REASON that Windows 8 is really that BAD.. then you are just to Lazy or stupid to be able to use something new.. Pack your shit up and take it back to the store, you are to stupid to use a computer..Eat that[/citation]

i think you're the stupid shitz here. So what if people hates the Windows 8 UI? Even MS acknowledge that...the guy who design this 'resigned'(aka forced to leave). And yes, i have tons of troubles with Windows 8....soundc crackling/stuttering with XFI and ASUS XONAR cards, TVERSITY keep losing the libraries settings, Acronis clashes with Start8 etc.

Other than Hyper-V, i don't see a single advantage of Win 8 over Win 7 (and Win 7 looks way better with the Aero transparent windows).

So before you start insulting people. look at yourself first. You sounds REALLY STUPID to me.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
[citation][nom]godfather666[/nom]Ok, I just bought the Windows 8 Pro upgrade, right before the deal expires..And, I hate it so far. Even more than I imagined I would. Do I regret the purchase? Absolutely.Anyway, I'm using Start8 now, and it's excellent and made me much happier. But the OS still feels weird.MS better come up with something drastically better fast, or else its market share is going to tumble.[/citation]

You shouldn't have done that. I think those cheap upgrades render your Windows 7 key "invalid", so you can't reinstall 7. Does someone else will know for sure, as I'm not 100 % on that? Luckily I learned my lesson after weeks witht the consumer trial.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]wdmfiber[/nom]You shouldn't have done that. I think those cheap upgrades render your Windows 7 key "invalid", so you can't reinstall 7. Does someone else will know for sure, as I'm not 100 % on that? Luckily I learned my lesson after weeks witht the consumer trial.[/citation]
That's not true. The rule I believe you're thinking of is that you can't install an upgrade license of Win8 over Win7 and then go take that Win7 key somewhere else and use it. Getting the upgrade doesn't invalidate your key at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS