Question ACPI-related DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSODs?

Aug 14, 2021
Greetings!

I purchased a Lenovo Gaming Desktop Legion T5 28IMB05 off of NewEgg four months ago, and shortly after I noticed it was having significant DPC latency due to the ACPI.sys driver (viewed by using LatencyMon), and I was receiving some strange stuttering when playing some games and videos. Since I was past the 30 day return at the time, I figured out how circumvent this by going into power options and setting the minimum processor speed to 99% and never turning off the hard disk. After having tried many things, this finally stopped the stuttering.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, and now I'm randomly receiving BSODs. It seems to most often happen when playing Minecraft, emulating, or streaming video on Discord, but it also seems to happen just from opening the browser or some other programs (but only sometimes). I've tried updating all my drivers, updating the motherboard, keeping an eye on the temps in HWMonitor, and resetting Windows and my motherboard, but the crashes keep happening. The crashes make an unpleasant "BRBRBRBR" noise, as if the last microsecond of audio is being looped infinitely while everything is locked up(can't use mouse or CRTL+ALT+DEL), until about a minute passes when a BSOD pops up with the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error and it reboots automatically. When looking at Speccy to make this post, I noticed the Seagate HDD is showing up as an SSD for some reason, and after the initial reboot from a crash, my Realtek HD driver will be completely missing until I shut down and turn on the computer again.

MiniDump File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RSbf0Ryxbj1bQijTo53a6kvPyBKkwvH1/view?usp=sharing

Specs from Speccy:
CPU: Intel Core i7 10700 @ 2.90GHz Comet Lake 14nm Technology
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1463MHz (21-21-21-47)
Motherboard: LENOVO 3717 (U3E1)
Graphics: LEN G24-10 (1920x1080@144Hz) 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (MSI)
Storage: 953GB Western Digital WDC PC SN730 SDBQNTY-1T00-1001 (Unknown (SSD)) & 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102 (SATA (SSD))
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio
PSU: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DtncTHIUKQQvoc_ZxEsVJTSb0yyq4fUz/view?usp=sharing (this is an image of the PSU's label that was on Lenovo's website; I haven't opened the case yet)

Any help or insight into this issue would be greatly appreciated! If there's any more info I need to provide, please let me know and I will promptly do so. Thank you!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021
Strangely enough, I haven't had a crash since I started leaving Task Manager open. I have no idea why that would be the case, but I can't deny the results. I'm not convinced this is a true fix though; is there anybody that can help me with my issue? If there's a better place to put this topic, please let me know and I'll ask a mod to move it or repost.

Aug 14, 2021
i will get a friend to check dumps out, and show me a link I an use to see if it shows a cause.
Thank you very much! I would wager it's the ACPI.sys driver, but I have no idea what to do about that; I couldn't really find anything. From most of the other forum threads I've looked into, it seems to be an issue that happens mostly with laptops relating to the battery. So I'm pretty lost.

Colif

Win 11 Master
acpi.sys is part of windows so its more likely another driver thats meant to work with it.

DPC errors are the error of the season. I could do without them
Deferred Procedure Call - normal action of windows, anytime another action has to jump ahead of the queue on the processor, a DPC is created so that the CPU knows what to do once the interrupt is completed. The error seems to occur when it reads the info stored in the DPC and you get this error.

dpc latency tied to ACPI.sys seems to often relate to audio drivers so try updating them.

Aug 14, 2021
acpi.sys is part of windows so its more likely another driver thats meant to work with it.

DPC errors are the error of the season. I could do without them
Deferred Procedure Call - normal action of windows, anytime another action has to jump ahead of the queue on the processor, a DPC is created so that the CPU knows what to do once the interrupt is completed. The error seems to occur when it reads the info stored in the DPC and you get this error.

dpc latency tied to ACPI.sys seems to often relate to audio drivers so try updating them.
Interesting, I wondered if it was something to do with my audio drivers since Realtek bugs out after I get a BSOD. Here's what I have currently:

FvNpJZq.png

I only use Realtek (that I know of) for my speakers/headset and Focusrite Usb Audio for my mic. The DPC latency has been a problem since well before I installed the Focusrite driver (and likely since I got the PC, I just didn't know to test for it until I already had it for a month or so). The drivers were all up-to-date previously, but doing the automatic updates through the Drive Manager now, I noticed that the NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) did have a small update. However, I still have DPC latency. I'll try to see if it will crash again tonight by leaving on Minecraft (without Windows Task Manager being open).

If it's relevant at all: after my computer would crash and Realtek would be completely missing, I would try to reinstall the latest Realtek driver and it would completely fail to install or show up at all. The files wouldn't even show up, like the installer just completely failed. They would only come back when I power cycled.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/k9z8dyg4/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:082921-6218-01.dmp (Aug 29 2021 - 05:44:20)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:ACPI.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 11 Hour(s), 42 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

Possible system page: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/desk...rs/legion-tower-5i-gaming-desktop/len102g0001

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: 8BitRedMage

Colif

Win 11 Master
i normally do custom installs of Nvidia drivers and don't install the Audio drivers, but only as discord asks if I want them as defaults and my monitor doesn't have any speakers.

i was going to ask about Focusrite but if it possibly happened before. Can you confirm they newest drivers as one part of them is from 2016
Nov 09 2016FocusritePCIeSwRoot.sys(Focusrite Audio Engineering Ltd.)
Jun 02 2020Focusriteusb.sysFocusrite USB ASIO driver
Jun 02 2020FocusriteusbAudio.sysFocusrite USB ASIO driver
Jun 02 2020FocusriteusbSwRoot.sysFocusrite Audio Engineering driver
is it just a USB mic or is there a PCI card part as well?

Jun 01 2021RTKVHD64.sysRealtek Audio System driver https://www.realtek.com/en/
latest drivers appear to be from June 12 - https://www.tenforums.com/sound-audio/182081-latest-realtek-hd-audio-driver-version-3-a.html
did you update them yourself as newest on lenovo site are from 2020.
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...05/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Audio

Aug 14, 2021
i normally do custom installs of Nvidia drivers and don't install the Audio drivers, but only as discord asks if I want them as defaults and my monitor doesn't have any speakers.

i was going to ask about Focusrite but if it possibly happened before. Can you confirm they newest drivers as one part of them is from 2016
Nov 09 2016FocusritePCIeSwRoot.sys(Focusrite Audio Engineering Ltd.)

Jun 02 2020Focusriteusb.sysFocusrite USB ASIO driver
Jun 02 2020FocusriteusbAudio.sysFocusrite USB ASIO driver
Jun 02 2020FocusriteusbSwRoot.sysFocusrite Audio Engineering driver
is it just a USB mic or is there a PCI card part as well?

Jun 01 2021RTKVHD64.sysRealtek Audio System driver https://www.realtek.com/en/
latest drivers appear to be from June 12 - https://www.tenforums.com/sound-audio/182081-latest-realtek-hd-audio-driver-version-3-a.html
did you update them yourself as newest on lenovo site are from 2020.
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...05/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Audio
The Focusrite is a USB mic, and the drivers for that are the same date as you posted.

My Realtek driver is from Jun 01 2021 as you posted. I tried the link you posted for the June 12th drivers, but the links there don't seem to work: the Microsoft Update Store link seems to have drivers from March, and the direct link doesn't download anything.

I updated all my drivers using DriverEasy previously when I thought the crashes might be related to drivers, but I was still getting crashes after, and that's when I ended up resetting Windows. Since then, I haven't used DriverEasy or anything else to install new drivers. After rebooting from a BSOD, the Realtek driver will be completely missing (meaning no sound), until I turn the computer off and on again, after which the Realtek driver will be back, so I'm guessing the Jun 01 2021 driver is what it's installing itself.

Aug 14, 2021
whats version number of the June driver?

I have to go to sleep soon but I try to figure it out when i wake up. Sound drivers are a pain, I don't suggest people mess with them unless they have to.
The version number for my Realtek driver is 6.0.9180.1. I have a few options when I go to update > browse for drivers > on my machine, but that's the latest one and is what's currently installed.

Thank you again for all your assistance! Like I mentioned earlier, the crashes seem to have stopped since I've started keeping Task Manager open in the background and disabled Windows notifications, for whatever reason, so this is not time-sensitive. Take all the time you need! I will also try to see if I can get it to crash again tonight under different conditions.

Aug 14, 2021
I left my computer on with Minecraft open all night (without task manager open), and there was no crash, where before it would crash within 15 minutes or so. The only thing I can think of is that I disabled "Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows" in Notifications and I think I disabled "Allow downloads from other PCs" in Windows Update, but I can't quite remember. Unfortunately, I can't find the article I was reading in my browser history that told me to do those things. Would those options really make that much of a difference?

I do still have microspikes of 2ms DPC latency from APCI.sys every 10 seconds or so, but my PC seems to act alright despite the DPC latency (with the hard drive set to not turn off and 99% minimum processor speed in power options).

Sep 2, 2021
Hey there!

I have a similar problem with my Legion T5 28IMB05. It started a week ago ish. Tried multiple things such as BIOS- and driver updates/resets through device manager, without success. Waiting curiously to see if you guys find any solution here :)

Aug 14, 2021
Hey there!

I have a similar problem with my Legion T5 28IMB05. It started a week ago ish. Tried multiple things such as BIOS- and driver updates/resets through device manager, without success. Waiting curiously to see if you guys find any solution here :)
Greetings! So you also have the DPC latency and crashes? I'm sorry you're going through this too. If I get more crashes and we can't find the solution, my plan currently is to get a new motherboard and then go down the list if it keeps crashing, replacing the CPU, PSU, RAM, and so on until it either stops crashing or I have enough parts to build another PC. But hopefully it doesn't come to that. :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
@Rhoend I would start a thread here about your problem and include info as per this thread - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

that is from MIcrosoft since its on their update catalog so its why its reinstalled again
its from May 31 2021

i like how its version 6.0.9180.1. and the newest on the Tenforums page is 6.0.9132.1 (microsoft like to change version numbers, or perhaps it was assigned to them by realtek)
I wish realtek had sound drivers on their own website like they do Ethernet drivers, make life so much easier.

there are 2 types of Realtek audio drivers now too.
  1. Old stylye drivers that included the HD Audio manager
  2. Now the driver comes from Realtek or MB maker and the Audio Manager is on Windows Store

I would think you have the 2nd type given how new it is. the driver on HP site is older than the one currently installed so that won't help

So clicking that does nothing??
http://download.windowsupdate.com/c..._0d12e66e1c349424ed4429ec1ed9a69443806382.cab
should open a pop up to ask if you want it opened in Explorer or saved to file -
3M3GRdE.jpg

I would choose save file and see if anything does happen

this might help with installing it - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/66346-install-cab-file-windows-10-a.html#post873775

Aug 14, 2021
@Rhoend I would start a thread here about your problem and include info as per this thread - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

that is from MIcrosoft since its on their update catalog so its why its reinstalled again
its from May 31 2021

i like how its version 6.0.9180.1. and the newest on the Tenforums page is 6.0.9132.1 (microsoft like to change version numbers, or perhaps it was assigned to them by realtek)
I wish realtek had sound drivers on their own website like they do Ethernet drivers, make life so much easier.

there are 2 types of Realtek audio drivers now too.
  1. Old stylye drivers that included the HD Audio manager
  2. Now the driver comes from Realtek or MB maker and the Audio Manager is on Windows Store
I would think you have the 2nd type given how new it is. the driver on HP site is older than the one currently installed so that won't help

So clicking that does nothing??
http://download.windowsupdate.com/c..._0d12e66e1c349424ed4429ec1ed9a69443806382.cab
should open a pop up to ask if you want it opened in Explorer or saved to file -
3M3GRdE.jpg

I would choose save file and see if anything does happen

this might help with installing it - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/66346-install-cab-file-windows-10-a.html#post873775
Yes, I believe I have #2. I have the Realtek Audio Console app, which appears to be from the Windows Store.

I forgot about Edge, so I tried that and the link worked. I guess Brave acts a little weird about those kinds of files. I'll make a restore point and try it tonight. If it starts crashing regularly again, the restore point should reset things, right?

Aug 14, 2021
I followed in the instructions in the link to install CAB files (extracting to a folder then searching that folder in Device Manager in admin mode), but this is what it gave me:
dBBROyk.png

It seems like the latest drivers are installed, as far as Windows is concerned. I still haven't had any crashes, though I also haven't restarted my PC since the crashes stopped. I'm shutting down for tonight, so we'll see how things go tomorrow.

Aug 14, 2021
Hello again. I didn't have any crashes for a while, doing all kinds of tasks, but I finally got one tonight when hosting a 7 Days to Die game with a friend. It wasn't like the ones in the past though: no "BRBRBR" noise and though it did restart on its own after a minute or too, I never saw the BSOD that told me what kind of error it was. Here's a link to the minidump file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TRlffw_3iDb4NGVMsiHUD1FWnUcho1el/view?usp=sharing

At this point I'm considering just getting a new motherboard.

Sep 2, 2021
Hello again. I didn't have any crashes for a while, doing all kinds of tasks, but I finally got one tonight when hosting a 7 Days to Die game with a friend. It wasn't like the ones in the past though: no "BRBRBR" noise and though it did restart on its own after a minute or too, I never saw the BSOD that told me what kind of error it was. Here's a link to the minidump file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TRlffw_3iDb4NGVMsiHUD1FWnUcho1el/view?usp=sharing

At this point I'm considering just getting a new motherboard.

Hey there.

Sad to hear you're still getting crashes. I managed to fix my problem!
Havn't had a crash since the beginning of september when i uninstalled all the NVIDIA drivers. Somehow they were in conflict with my Realtek HD Audio. I installed an older version of the driver, as you can see below, and now it's all good.

Best of luck mate

Aug 14, 2021
Hey there.

Sad to hear you're still getting crashes. I managed to fix my problem!
Havn't had a crash since the beginning of september when i uninstalled all the NVIDIA drivers. Somehow they were in conflict with my Realtek HD Audio. I installed an older version of the driver, as you can see below, and now it's all good.

Best of luck mate
I'm glad to hear that worked out for you! I didn't get any crashes when I rebooted and started up again, and after I was done I took a look at Event Viewer and noticed that instead of the errors I was getting last time, this time I was getting errors for Netwtw10, starting after a NDIS error that read the following: "The network interface "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver detected that its hardware has stopped responding to commands. This network interface has reset 1 time(s) since it was last initialized." So maybe the cause is different this time?

If it keeps crashing, I'll take note of those NVIDIA drivers you're using and try rolling mine back to see if that makes any difference. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Rhoend

Colif

Win 11 Master
this time I was getting errors for Netwtw10
Jul 12 2021Netwtw10.sysIntel Wi-Fi driver
The network interface "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver detected that its hardware has stopped responding to commands. This network interface has reset 1 time(s) since it was last initialized."

so realtek caused WiFi to crash? Do you use both? could use wifi and see if it does stop that problem, or is it slower like mine where Cable is 4x faster than WIFI?

is the lenovo still under warranty? wonder if it uses standard parts as that would make replacing motherboard interesting. Wonder if its PSU is 12VO or normal still.

Aug 14, 2021
Jul 12 2021Netwtw10.sysIntel Wi-Fi driver

so realtek caused WiFi to crash? Do you use both? could use wifi and see if it does stop that problem, or is it slower like mine where Cable is 4x faster than WIFI?

is the lenovo still under warranty? wonder if it uses standard parts as that would make replacing motherboard interesting. Wonder if its PSU is 12VO or normal still.
Yes unfortunately, I only use a lined ethernet connection (which uses the Realtek PCIe Family Controller) because it's so much faster and reliable. Intel(R) is my Wi-Fi, but I never use it. I actually went ahead and disabled it after the crash. I thought I had disabled it when I first got it, but I guess reinstalling Windows reenabled it. In regards to the Realtek, it said "The network driver detected that its hardware has stopped responding to commands", so wouldn't that mean the hardware itself is the issue? And wouldn't said hardware be the motherboard?

I was wondering about the warranty as well. I don't recall purchasing a better warranty, but when I check my device at the Lenovo website it says I should have a 3 year onsite warranty. I'm also curious as to what they would do with it, or if they'd even recognize it as a problem, since it seems difficult to recreate the crashes methodically. I don't have any experience with Lenovo support, so I'm not sure how feasible it would be to rely on them vs. putting in a new motherboard on my own (my housemate built his own PC and would help me change it out).

I haven't opened the tower up since I was concerned that would void the warranty, but there was a picture of the PSU's label on the Lenovo site: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DtncTHIUKQQvoc_ZxEsVJTSb0yyq4fUz/view?usp=sharing

If there's any more crashes, I'll report here. I'm hoping it was just a weird one-off thing since it was different than the previous crashes I had. The crash happened right when I started hosting with my friend, and after rebooting, we tried it again and played for a few hours without incident, under the exact same conditions.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/743b5vkr/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:091021-6015-01.dmp (Sep 11 2021 - 00:52:05)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:ACPI.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 15 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: 8BitRedMage