Activision Blizzard Sued For Virtual World Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
....and they're getting away with this.
It's a dark day for entrepreneurs. It's the entrepreneur genocide pretty much. If you invent ANYTHING AT ALL, you're going to infringe on someone patent.

digital anomaly

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I remember Worlds Inc.. In case you guys were wondering if they even bothered creating something based off their patent, back in early '95, when I was still using Windows 3.1, I installed AlphaWorld and Worlds Chat, two 3D online worlds owned by Worlds Inc.. At that point in time, I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I have no doubt that their patent is legit and they'll probably win the court case, but the way they decided to enforce their patent this late in the game is just downright foul. They should have come after MMOGs actively upon launch. I guess they used NCSoft as a testbed first to see if they have enough clout to take on Activision Blizzard.

NCSoft is a new company where as Blizzard could easily show use of much the same system prier to this patent. This patent covers any multi player graphical game where a server is used to determine direction and keeps a data base. Given wow was released on November 23, 2004 I don't think this patent dated FEB 20, 2007 has any merit.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Hasn't every single multiplayer game in existence violated this patent?

Isn't the definition of multiplayer gaming effectively "users interacting in a virtual space"?

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]digital anomaly[/nom]I have no doubt that their patent is legit.[/citation]

No, its bogus; even by the patent system's own flawed rules. Its no different than trying to patent the displaying of words on an LCD screen. Its an obvious idea that a device capable of displaying images will display images, or that a network between computers with graphical user interfaces will be presented graphically.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
[citation][nom]jonathanrhunter[/nom]I'm going to patent "the method for collecting air into one's lungs and breathing"...[/citation]

Why not? Remember, now we're on the "first to file" rather than "first to invent" system.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]This is a BS suit for sure but I gotta say They had it coming after making great franchises SO GAY with COD and SC2/D3[/citation]

You may wish to zip your lips... your stupid is showing.

jonathanrhunter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
[citation][nom]twelch82[/nom]Why not? Remember, now we're on the "first to file" rather than "first to invent" system.[/citation]
It really only does the world any good if inventions end up invented. The U.S. system for approving patents is remarkably good at keeping inventors suppressed and awarding money to people and corporations that have proved they are good at writing ideas down for things they never intend to realize.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]jonathanrhunter[/nom]I'm going to patent "the method for collecting air into one's lungs and breathing"...[/citation]
I've got one up on you. I'm going to patent the 5 senses.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
If Benjamin Franklin lived and had a patent on electricity he would own our "behinds" and of course everything that operated with electricity (from digital to analog) would have to pay him rights :p

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
EXTRA! EXTRA!
Lawyers went on Strike!
Word is that Lawyers were not getting paid due to game developers have not sold their games.
An investigation on this matter revealed that Players have stop supporting them because they apparently got tired of what they call "patent trolls".

Well at least something good has come out of this.
face_mischief

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hopefully World's Inc. gets their asses handed to them by Bobby Kotick. And then I hope he goes to work on them after this debacle is over.

For the record, I don't like Activision because of Bobby Kotick, but my dislike towards trolls in general is far greater. Buncha lazy assholes.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Unless Worlds, Inc. sues every single game developer in the industry they are not actively protecting their patent and it might be found in default. Then the question rises why did they wait so long to start generating these lawsuits. Ultima Online and Everquest were doing this a decade ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.