Activision Defends Modern Warfare 2 PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
"We're, of course, watching this very carefully and paying attention to it," Activision president Mike Griffith said in response to a financial analyst, as noted by Kotaku. "But we're not overly concerned about it."

They don't really care about PC gamers.. I think this is a test to see how it will effect their overall bottom line. Face it, the majority of the sales went to consoles with COD:MW and now they believe they don't need to make any more games specifically for PC. Hence this port.. minimal expense to switch it to PC and if it doesn't work out, then oh well. That is why they are watching this and they are not concerned.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the next installment of the COD series a console only game.

I do not need this game.. I need oxygen, food and water.. but not this game. I wont be buying it, not even out of curiosity. I will take my money and spend it on other things.. maybe a game from one of their competitors.

So, fine.. your not concerned... neither am I. I will still be playing games, just not yours.

Have a nice day IW,

A former customer

Lavacon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Well look on the bright side, now that they are giving the go ahead to cheat and glitch by not allowing dedicated servers, take advantage of it!!

More cheating occurs on these match making servers they provide. The cheating also goes on much longer then that of a dedicated server where an admin is almost always available in some form.

up up down down left right left right ftw

G

No dedicated server support?

Think I'll just wait for the hacked version and play single player and continue to play COD: modern warfare (1st one) and COD: World at war online.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Apparently Activision doesn't understand the culture of PC gaming. The vast majority of people who would get this game on PC aren't what you would call "casual" PC gamers. They are people who game on PC because of the unique versatility it offers, which IW/Activision seem to be intent on taking away from them.

But when you think of it really, who expects a publisher of all things to understand a PC gamer's mentality, let alone any gamer.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Griffith must be drinking his own kool-aid, he isn't improving anyone's experience. Imagine MW a fine scotch, and MW2 that same scotch, but someone mixed it with coke, then peed in it.

I don't understand how they thought removal of features that PC gamers find desirable would equate to more sales. Their logic is not sound. If they had kept the features from MW to MW2, MW2 would more than likely outsell MW, but it's very doubtful to be well received from the PC community give the number of pre-order cancellations and ongoing petitions.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Lavacon[/nom]Sure we do.. easy kills :) Besides, They don't want people cry when they get owned, hence their matchmaking system.[/citation]

they're always on your team

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ominous prime[/nom]Griffith must be drinking his own kool-aid, he isn't improving anyone's experience. Imagine MW a fine scotch, and MW2 that same scotch, but someone mixed it with coke, then peed in it. I don't understand how they thought removal of features that PC gamers find desirable would equate to more sales. Their logic is not sound. If they had kept the features from MW to MW2, MW2 would more than likely outsell MW, but it's very doubtful to be well received from the PC community give the number of pre-order cancellations and ongoing petitions.[/citation]
Their logic is business and money. Less features = less development time and less bugs = earlier release. What's better than having 1 fully featured game released in one year? Having 2 feature-less games released in one year. You'll find a majority of sequels coming out that would have been expansions 5-10 years ago. Why? Because they cut the features out due to time constraints and bugs. Just look at Left4Dead and Left4Dead 2. Left4Dead was short on gameplay length. Left4Dead is basically the same game, just a few more gameplay features, and new maps.

Capitalism at it's best.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Yup, 2 other systems that has way more users then PC, and you all honestly think that they would even care? IW and Activision have already told ever one for their reasoning and I agree with them on it.

Now if you really want too mod or hack or just make them game completely unfair (or stupid; ie low grav) then someone is probably going too release a hack for the game, and a way too host games using the hack (or you can call it a mod for the entire game, w.e). This happens with every game so stop your crying.

IW puts alot of time, thought, and heart into every game that they make and Im trusting them on this one.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
"One of the problems with our PC SKUs in the past is that it has not been as friendly a consumer experience in terms of matchmaking and online play as the consoles have allowed it to be,"

I read this sentence five times and I still don't understand this marketing jargon horsecrap. Is he saying that consoles are better at matchmaking or online play? If he is, is he on drugs? I'm a PC gamer cause I can handle more than 6 buttons on my input device. So sick of stupid game producers dumbing down games to accommodate the idiots among us.

Consoles are awesome for game producers because:
1) They're uniform hardware so no people are going to call them asking for help with compatibility
2) console makers bribe them with licensing fees

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]Capitalism at it's best.[/citation]
Thats how everyone in the country wants it *cough, reps view, cough*

Seriously though, I doubt it took any less time too develope the game, they would have made the game and turned off the features.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]JWL3[/nom]"One of the problems with our PC SKUs in the past is that it has not been as friendly a consumer experience in terms of matchmaking and online play as the consoles have allowed it to be,"I read this sentence five times and I still don't understand this marketing jargon horsecrap. Is he saying that consoles are better at matchmaking or online play? If he is, is he on drugs? I'm a PC gamer cause I can handle more than 6 buttons on my input device. So sick of stupid game producers dumbing down games to accommodate the idiots among us.Consoles are awesome for game producers because:1) They're uniform hardware so no people are going to call them asking for help with compatibility2) console makers bribe them with licensing fees[/citation]
Im sorry too tell you this, but consol controlls have more then 6 buttons: (depending on consol) Triangle, X, O, Square, R1, R2, L1, L2, R3, L3, 4 directional buttons, and 2 sticks.
1)If all these PC users have to call and ask the compatibility then why are they complaining about lacking features.
2)Are you serious? They have too pay the consol makers for these. That is why they are called FEES, so this would make them favor the PC not the consol.

Adroid

Distinguished
Sad day for real PC gaming honestly. This was supposed to be the next big thing. Now its just a slap in the face.

I am dumbfounded why a good PC game developer would cut the corner like this. And at a 60$ tag to boot - I can't justify buying it. I might buy it in a bargain bin a couple years from now to play the single player, but PC FPS gaming and P2P are a cliche by definetion.

I think Red Faction: Guerilla would have been epic with large scale dedicated servers.

Can't win em all I guess - I should be looking for a different Genre

G

I'm boycotting it. Too many great games coming out at the same time and so little time, I need just the smallest excuse to drop one or two games and be done with them. Activision/Infinity Ward gave me a big excuse, and that's all I needed. Next!!

AtuBrian

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
what a lame excuse postives will out weigh the negetives what positives when it comes down to it this has been a punch in the face with the announcement of no dedecated servers and 4v4 how bs

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Consoles are and always will lack in the multiplayer arena. Undercutting how many players can join is a huge let down. Image how much fun Halo 3 would have been with 64 players in a team deathmatch. The rain of plasma nades streaking across the sky. That would have been fun. People act like 18 players is a big deal...its not. It is only one more person per team compared to the average matchmaking setup. To a PC gamer that is just one more round from the clip.

codeman03xx

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Nice Activision be ignorant to the fact that the PC Provided the funds to keep this game getting squeal after squeal. This would be like releasing a new star-wars but with out Jedi or storm troopers. Activision you are retarded, Nobody is going to buy this game unless its fixed.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I didn't care about the other complaints, but 9 vs 9 multiplayer is incredibly low. It all boils down to lack of choice. Players should have the choice to play with as many players as they want. 9 vs 9 is like something out of the 90s, and I'm sure it's a direct result of no dedicated servers. Players should have the option of choosing a dedicated server or using matchmaking. Absolutely no reason they shouldn't have the choice of both. And no console commands restricts choice once again. A lot of players never use console, but some do. I'm sure it's in there in the code anyways, it seems they've willfully restricted access to it. Plus the extra $10 price point, it's pretty inexcusable. I'll still keep my pre-order though, since I only got it for the $20 gift card that came with it which I've already used. And multiplayer has always been pretty overrated in these games.

Status
Not open for further replies.