Activision Defends Modern Warfare 2 PC

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2shea

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
the above makes the server issue a bit more clear but still it is not so much the disappearance of the options and servers possibilities but the way they just say, we know what youre saying and ima let ya finish but frankly we dont give a shit. WE KNOW PC GAMES ARE NOT THE MARKET to make money from but it is one of the biggest supporters of the community, console gamers tend to be more casual and not as much clanbased although there obviously will be a lot of clans. (no offence intended) PC gaming is just sliding fast in the background with the whole spiral:
games are multiplatformed because of alleged pirating and thus has to be more profitable. Multiplatform games tend to be not so state of the art, more maxed/tweaked out dx9 in this occasion.
So those games on the pc are not that innovative on the visual area.
also the controls have to be the same to make it multiplatform. This is seen in simplified gaming, autoheal, no lean etc.
Then comes the inevitably reaction from the pc gamers community that the game is not what it should have been on the pc and the REACTION is what causes this outrage against activision/IW.
They just don't care about the costumers but about profit, its a costprice based business; if a game is too different, too big of a risk it will no

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
"One of the problems with our PC SKUs in the past is that it has not been as friendly a consumer experience in terms of matchmaking and online play as the consoles"

What a shitload of bullfuck, anyone who knows how to maintain a capable gaming PC and install the game should be more than capable of joining a match without stupid matchmaking shit.

And WTF?! NO LEAN?! THAT IS HORSESHIT. I'm not even going to pirate this for the SP experience anymore, they've moved from ruining multiplayer and advanced settings to actually ruining GAMEPLAY ELEMENTS. Thats the last fucking straw. Fuck Activision, fuck IW, fuck thsi game

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
bahahahahahahah, trying to HELP the situation by basically saying "we are trying to dumb the PC version down to the console level"?

he clearly has NO idea what PC gaming is.

jay236

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Let's face it, they're just following their noses to where the money goes. I just want dedicated servers and 64 player caps...you can take away the peaking and whatever.

man-inj-74

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I was looking forward to purchasing this game... now I will spend my money elsewhere.

This is a disgrace... could it be that time constraints led to them dropping dedicated server support in order to release the game on time? If this is the case I believe I speak for many people here and would simply ask Activision/IW - "Please delay the game until it is complete, we understand and would rather wait for it with proper dedicated server/mod support rather than get an on time castrated release!"

Do they even realize that without dedicated server support for authenticating/rankings its going to be pirated to kingdom come? Dedicated authenticating severs for online play are a strong anti piracy measure as in order to play on official servers the game cannot be a copy and you need a valid key/license...

This is going to hurt sales big time.... all this talk about beating GTAIV in sales records etc etc... not going to happen now.

man-inj-74

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
And to add... the online petition is at 191396 signatures... Assuming those who sign are not buying the game which retails for $60 a piece...

To Activition,
Say bye-bye to over $11.4 Million and counting!

Hold the release! Fix the game!

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Of course they are not that concerned about this.
After all, CoD3 was console only - wasn't it?! They probably put their good experience with it to good use...

What a load of BS...

Damn, we did the petition and everything in vain. Guess we don't matter that much do we? I mean I will boycott, but what else can we do?

I guess I'll just go on and forget all about MW2.

reaver11

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Alright, nothing to see here. Move along people, let's take our business elsewhere.

[citation][nom]bikeracer4487[/nom]*sigh* I'm prolly gonna get bashed for this, but here goes. How can we expect developers and publishers to make games that cater to a hardcore audience if it's not profitable? I keep hearing people bash publishers because they are only motivated by money, but what else do we expect them to be motivated by?The publishers WILL go where the money is, but that's also where the people are. We're seeing a trend of more games catering to casual gamers because the audience of casual gamers FAR outnumbers hardcore gamers...there's just no way around it and I have a hard time believing that the collective bitching and moaning of the relatively small hardcore gaming community can do much about it.[/citation]

Call of Duty has always been most popular on PC prior to Modern Warfare. They're basically lining up some of their most devoted players, asking them to spread their legs, and giving them a swift, steel-toed kick to the crotch.

So they're abandoning their original fanbase in light of console-only gamers who will mindlessly play this. And I don't think you'll find a "casual" PC gamer around.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I've dropped IW off my list of developers to support. These days with so many kids stealing (pirating) games on PC it's very important to support the developers of the games you enjoy. Now to be honest if the game doesn't have a demo I completely understand if you download it to try it out, but if you enjoy it you should buy it. IW was one of the developers I didn't even need a sample for in order to fork over some $ to support them. They seemed to have PC in mind first with consoles as an after thought, unfortunately that's been reversed. So now I'm pretty much left with just Bioware. I've already spent the money on "Dragon Age" and it's amazing, its best platform is PC and it's completely polished. I would love to have IW back on the list, they just need to show some love back to the PC gaming community.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
For the person who had a question about the importance of having a console. Any option you could change in your games config files can be changed on the fly through console. This is important as I'm sure is obvious the changes you make effect game play, thus it's easier to change them and see the results through the console. One of the popular commands was fov (field of view) this let you zoom your screen out or in, which has the obvious benefit of allowing you to see more on your screen, in addition there are a slew of latency console commands that can really have an effect on your ping.

I sympathize with those who have had poor experiences with mods who just wrang up the server (low gravity), I associate that kind of conduct to the Counter Strike days, I've seldom found such activities in most of the COD4 servers I've joined.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]On the contrary, they want to maximize their sales on consoles so they can get more profit due to low piracy and Microsoft xbox live services hosting the games.Also, I am sure Microsoft is behind this to maximize their xbox360 sales by pissing off PC gamer to get the xbox360 version. I cannot suspect Sony, because it's not in their interest to do so.[/citation]
I agree and MS is one of the biggest players helping to try and control and destroy PC gaming. GFWL is a joke and I stay away from it like the plague.

Sardaukarz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
I have a console because it has a blu-ray drive...
And yes I am a hardcore PC gamer!

I didn't buy your games in a while and I will not buy them in the future!

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]archange[/nom]Of course they are not that concerned about this.After all, CoD3 was console only - wasn't it?! They probably put their good experience with it to good use...What a load of BS...Damn, we did the petition and everything in vain. Guess we don't matter that much do we? I mean I will boycott, but what else can we do?I guess I'll just go on and forget all about MW2.[/citation]

CoD3 was not an IW game and was one of the worst CoD titles. It may have been console only but, it did not sell all that well either.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
So basically the future of realistic FPS's for the PC is quite bleak. MW2 is going to be a console port, nothing more. Although it's nice to see BFBC2 is coming to PC unlike BFBC1, it also is going to be a console port, nothing more. What else is there really? Obviously the game developers are interested in profit only, which is nothing unusual since they are indeed a business and this is a capitalistic country. It's just sad to know that people running the show no longer have the passion for PC gaming, only dollar signs.

xaephod

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
I was going to buy this game for sure, but now I definitely will not. Dedicated servers is the only thing that makes COD4 worth playing over and over, otherwise its a rental for your console which I will never own.

I will find another game which allows dedicated servers and gives the PC gamer a choice. Infinity Ward and Activision, I urge you to implement Dedicated servers on the PC port of MW2.

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
""One of the problems with our PC SKUs in the past is that it has not been as friendly a consumer experience in terms of matchmaking and online play as the consoles have allowed it to be," he added. "Our solution here improves that consumer experience overall by a significant margin. And so we think that the benefits we will see are going to far outweigh any negatives that seem to be surfacing.""

So full of $&$#! You can easily have what you have no and add whatthe pc gamers want. The fact is you are going to destroy your PC market because you are listening to the wrong people in your company. Are you even looking at the money loss from the all the pc gamers cancelling orders?

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Frankly, with such hype and apparently demand for this game, I am sure they simply can stick to their guns. Looking forward to a price cut relatively soon after release though. Either way, it's probably right that they don't have to worry too much about selling this game. Not that I support it, or even agree with it.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Ixo[/nom]3- Through MW2's game browser, players can decide to join games created by other players or host them themselves. They DON'T HOST IT on their own PC, instead, they simply send a hosting request to Activision, IW, or whoever servers are used to virtually create a game room that will be remotely "hosted" by the given player, (hopefully) granting him a restricted access to the game's options of inviting/kicking/banning other players, selecting the map, the game type, etc. Think of it as a remote admin that has limited control over the game's server. Once the hosts and/or all the players leave the game session, the game room "disappears", as it was only temporarily created. Everything goes in and out of Activision's servers. You probably won't have a good ping like you would have in the past by playing on servers that was hosted in your city ([/citation]

It is a good theory, but is not what is happening, nor will it ever happen. IW stated that players that are capable of hosting can host. This implies that the users system will need to be able to handle the game and hosting activities. The player hosting will not have ban abilities, only kick and invite. And with the ID masking programs available for consoles it would not do any good to ban a user anyhow. It is how pirates play online. Microsoft does not have an answer for this app and more than likely will not have one anytime soon since it has been available for nearly two years.

Those clans with dedicates servers will not now be able to gather in one location as they had done in the past. And with limiting the ping to 100ms (which is not too bad) you are not now limiting players to specific regions. I usually play late at night 1:00-3:00am. There are not enough players in my region on at those times to support a good online game. I normally connect to Korean, Japanese, and Russian servers because I am on closer to their peak hours. The setup in place removes my online gaming experience for MW2. While I am not happy about it, there is nothing I can do.

IW is moving away from the PC market stating that piracy and a better online community are their reasons. So far I have seen both of these to be untrue. MW2 has more pirated copies on the console so far than the PC. It is not hard to find either. The console version of MW2 was available two weeks prior to its release date on torrents.

IW is about to lost more money that they expected from these poor decision. Unfortunately it is not going to change their current transition to consoles. It just means those of us who want to be able to trust in game developers will need to look elsewhere. There are now two developers that holds the market for respecting the players wishes. Dice and Valve, and Valve has the whole Left 4 Dead 2 fiasco.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]rebturtle[/nom]Am I the only one that sees that a move like this could enable the game to be played cross-platform? It is a niche market that will actually be pissed enough by this to not buy the game. I can imagine they are looking into the long term of how much better the game will be, on the whole, when people on consoles and PCs can play against each other on the same servers. They are dividing us in order to bring us together.That said, I still prefer dedicated servers and console commands. I am a PC gamer and it sucks to see us being pushed over to the gaming console side.[/citation]

There are already cross-platform capabilities between consoles and PCs with dedicates servers. Also, they have no intention of making it cross-platform enabled. The pre-existing games that had it failed when PC players dominated game play forcing out console users. Being able to change the direction you are looking by any given degree in less than a second definitely give PC players the edge and alienates the inferior controller setup. That being said, I still do play FPS games on my 360 if they are not available on the PC. If the 360 would support a keyboard/mouse configuration I would play more console games and, it would open up the market for RTS games on consoles.

gamerjames

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[quoteI really hope that everyone who want to play the game will use file sharing and not actual copy bought in a video game store[/quote]

And how is pirating the game going to help IW make changes, idiot...

But in all seriousness, I think games like CoD4, CoD5, and games like that are just meant for console. Want to play PC games? Play Quake 3/Quake Live/Unreal tournament, fast paced games.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Two big issues. One mentioned before, no admin access for kick/ban, and 'matchmaking' ser\/ers blow, how are you honestly supposed to get better if you can't pit yourself against people that rock at games? Playing against mediocrity isn't going to help you learn new strategy and impro\/e your game. I like getting pwned in a game, it forces me to learn to play better.

Status
Not open for further replies.