ad hoc network with LAN

Trying to add wireless ad hoc network between Hp laptop, and desktop. Desktop
is connected to LAN, and is networked to several other computers in the
house. The desktop and laptop run xp-pro, but desktop has svc pack 2.

I set up the ad hoc and the computers can ping each other, but I can't
figure out how to get the computers to share files?

Also with the ad hoc connected, the LAN connection is lost in the desktop.

Using d-link network cards:

desktop - dwlg122 its 8.011 G
laptop - dwl-650+ its 8.011 B