News Adata Switches to Slower Controller, NAND on SX 8200 Pro

mattkiss

Honorable
Sep 22, 2016
The XPG SX8200 Pro was recently listed for $107.99 at the beginning of Amazon Prime Day. It also had a very briefly available $15 off coupon, for a total price of $92.99. If I were any of those people who purchased the drive on Amazon, I'd be checking my drive info right now.

Co BIY

Splendid
Glad Tom's finally got the back up needed to publish this article. Indications of this problem have been present for a while with the XPG SX8200 Pro sitting at the top of their recommended list.

This is most egregious in my opinion because they sent these review units out to reviewers, got the great reviews and then rather quickly changed the components.

They also changed the location of production from Taiwan to another Asian location. Not having seen the samples I don't know if this was concurrent with parts changes. Maybe that was because employees in that other location are much less likely to leak about dishonest business practices to a tech site or the press because of systematic oppression.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Yes, i am one of them who bought the slower 1tb drive.... Prior to this, i have the 512gb which is the faster one...

Bad news is that the 1tb is slightly slower on benchmarks than the 512 version esp. sequential writes. But good news is, i dont or feel or notice any difference. Since it is still anong the cheaper ssd, cant complain.

Reactions: Why_Me

USAFRet

Titan
Kingston is on my perm Do Not Buy list for doing crap like this, long ago.

Initial reviews were great. Release and review at Performance A. Switch to performance B-, keeping the same model name.
See ya.

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
This is exactly why I never recommend using parts from Adata or Kingston. Both are guilty of doing this, as are a few other companies.
I guess a lot of people do it albeit in different ways of thier own. GTX 970 = 3.5 GB. WD and Seagate, crappy slower models included sliently among faster/better drives. AMD lawsuite on number of cores etc etc. The list goes on. Unfortunately for people who dont check tech sites or benchmark drives, they never know what happened.

javiindo

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
Recently Adata SX8200 PRO has got cheaper and cheaper. If they new modifications make them to compete with the concurrence, why not. Nobody buy adata because is the best, but because they are the best at performance/price. I'm waiting to see the new review and to see how they compete with the concurrence. They are a bit more expensive that SN550 and P2 but cheaper that Samsung and Silicon Power.

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Recently Adata SX8200 PRO has got cheaper and cheaper. If they new modifications make them to compete with the concurrence, why not. Nobody buy adata because is the best, but because they are the best at performance/price. I'm waiting to see the new review and to see how they compete with the concurrence. They are a bit more expensive that SN550 and P2 but cheaper that Samsung and Silicon Power.
That is about alright but they cannot release it under the same model number. People will believe they are getting the best when they are getting subpar hardware compared to the original. They can always release a non pro version or something and price is lower.

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: vinay2070

javiindo

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
That is about alright but they cannot release it under the same model number. People will believe they are getting the best when they are getting subpar hardware compared to the original. They can always release a non pro version or something and price is lower.
Yes, they can if the performance is the same. Let's wait for the review comparative.

Co BIY

Splendid
Nobody buy adata because is the best, but because they are the best at performance/price.

We know what the price is but how can we know what the performance is if they bait and switch.

I agree it is fine and right for a company to change the product for the market even building a lesser product and selling it for more money.

Actually I bet a lot of people bought Adata drives because they were the best in the reviews.

merlinq

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2012
How do you check which version you have without pulling out the drive?

Theoretically, AIDA64 might let you see.
I know my recently purchased 2TB reports as the 2262ENG, and that does agree with what the actual chip has printed on it.
(Note, the 2262 ENG is the 2262EN, the G is often left off when saying it.)

From what I've seen, it looks like the 512GB, and the 1TB capacities are more commonly affected, so YMMV.

Edit: the AIDA may or may not be accurate, but there are ways that are more complicated (ie require specific nvme drivers, and specialized, rare, software).
See the SSD god, u/NewMaxx on reddit or discord for more info.
But it's not for the faint of heart, and don't ask, he doesn't like to advertise his sources to overtly, for obvious reasons; but just read around, and you'll find them if you want.

Last edited:

Co BIY

Splendid
I got one during Prime Day. Just checked and it has the SM2262G. Kinda bummed, tbh.

Maybe filling out a government form would make you feel better ...

Or maybe more usefully complain to Amazon - Buy a new SSD of your choice , clone it over, then return your Adata and tell them why.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
How do you check which version you have without pulling out the drive?
I used this tool: http://vlo.name:3000/tmph/smi_nvme_flash_id.rar

AIDA64 Extreme does the job, indeed.

Checked my drives yesterday and the results coincide with the dates purchased as well as the money they costed me! :confused_old:

That's the normal EN that should have the normal ROM/firmware. Mine reads the same. You also have the Micron 64L NAND, the same as mine. The above VLO tool should output the speeds and the number of NAND dies.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Ah so the EN is the same as the ENG, I got lucky with the 2TB I bought of Amazon yesterday then
From what I can tell so far. My earliest sample SM2262EN is labeled SM2262ENG from back in 2018. I think this SM2262G is just the SM2262 as the SM2262ENG is just a SM2262EN. There is some other data I am looking into to see if I can find any other differences or patterns. I am trying to source a new model now.

Reactions: Goldman60