Question Adblock Settings in Chrome?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello,

I have Win 8 using Chrome with the Adblock extension - the one with the Red stop sign and the hand in the icon.

I want it on for most sites - but I'd like to allow ads on Google and things like Gumtree so I can see the links/ads for things like musical instruments when I'm searching for products?

I've tried whitelisting but I must be getting it wrong... if I just put in https://www.google.com/ etc it just doesn't work - still blocks them, same for Gumtree?

Hope someone might know what to do - that would be great

thank you

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
If you select the Manually Edit Your Filters option and enter text like this:

Hey dwd999

I gave that a go and removed my prior efforts - but it still doesn't work ?

The ads appear at the top of the google search but when you click on them - they open in a new tab - but won't open - it says it's googleadservices in the address bar - so I even tried adding that in the same manner you did - but no go?

Similar with Gumtree - except it doesn't show the ads at all - just a blank space where they'd be?
And when you click on a normal gumtree item page eg 'this guitar here' - all the ads are missing too

here's what I added in

@@||google.com^$document
@@||gumtree.com^$document
@@||googleadservices.com^$document

any other tweaks?

thank you

Does the little stop sign show green? Maybe your ad problem is related to your other wininit.exe problem. Perhaps that's malware that blocks everything except what it wants you to see. Try downloading the free trial version of Malwarebytes to see if that helps.

If you try this on the dailymail.co.uk site, does that show a lots of ads. It certainly works on that.

Last edited:

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Does the little stop sign show green? Maybe your ad problem is related to your other wininit.exe problem

it shows green when on the google page - but the links are still dead when you try to open them
Doesn't show green for Gumtree though - still no ads there at all.

I really don't think it's related to wininit.exe as I'm pretty certain these ads showed up and worked fine until recently - and the wininit.exe has been here for a much longer time.

If you try this on the dailymail.co.uk site, does that show a lots of ads

Tried that - but it won't let me properly view it as it has a pop up saying 'you have an ad blocker - you shall not pass'
Still no Green thumbs up anyway

Besides that its full of Aussie content even though the UK address.

cheers

TRENDING THREADS