Question Adding 16 GB vs adding 8 GB

Oct 6, 2019
Hello,

I've got a Lenovo Legion Y530 laptop that came with a single 8 GB stick of ram. What I'm considering is either adding another 8 or 16 gigs to that. I know enough to match the speed/voltage/etc when adding a 2nd stick. Matching brands is recommended, but probably doesn't matter.

From what I've read (here and elsewhere), if I go with a 16+8 setup I aught end up with 16 gigs dual channel (my original 8 plus half my 16) then another 8 gigs single (the other half of my 16). Others have said that the computer would act as though I only have 2 sticks of 8, but that seems less likely to me but I don't know.

The other thing is, assuming having 24 GB works as I think, would it even be worth adding the 16 GB instead of just 8? In other words, for about double the price, is that last 8 GB of single channel RAM going to do much for me? Or might the extra memory still be nice to have for 'future proofing'.

Thanks.

"From what I've read (here and elsewhere), if I go with a 16+8 setup I aught end up with 16 gigs dual channel (my original 8 plus half my 16) then another 8 gigs single (the other half of my 16). Others have said that the computer would act as though I only have 2 sticks of 8, but that seems less likely to me but I don't know. "

^^^^I think this is motherboard dependent.

Regardless....I would go with 16 for now as.....unless I was doing something that needed more than 16.....16 is generally plenty for things like gaming and other normal computing tasks.

....and by the time you actually need 24....you may need a whole new PC anyway.