Adding a 5th IDE device

G

I now have 1 hard drive a zip drive, dvd, cdwriter. i want to add another hard drive to my computer. Can I just add a controller card and then a internal hard drive? what about any IRQ issues. Would this be a master or slave? Any advice would be appreciated.

G

yea, you can just buy a controller card and add on another 4 or so devices if you wish. You shouldn't encounter any problems.... at least that I know of

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You should have plenty of DMA`s open, and IRQ sharing will almost certainly avoid any probs on that end. One thing you may wanna consider is, make sure you get a controller card commensurate with the new HD you get. If you want a real good ATA100 HD, be sure you get an ATA100 controller card.

Rama

" He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church " Joe Strummer, The Clash - "Death or Glory"

mpjesse

Splendid
It'll work dude... since PCI is 32 bit, IRQ's can be shared out the ass. Crap... take a look in System information and see how many devices are on each IRQ... one of my IRQ's has 6 devices on it!

-MP Jesse

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey was that connection on the sound card made for cd drives origianlly? Can't you just connect the Cd drive to he Sound card?

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

G

Yea, just use a cable to connect the CD player to the sound card. If you have more than one (CD drive) the aux plugs work the same as the CD ones.

May Fortune Favor The Foolish

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Umm NOOOOOOOO.
IN the days of ole. The sound card had an ide controller built in, however as those are 16bit isa cards and prob. not compatible with new cd rom drives how can you use it?
I assume you were talking about an audio cable and not thinking? or perhaps I misread this ?

Bored,Certified tech