Question Adding an external gpu to a laptop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2022
So I have a Dell Latitude D630 and this model is intel CPU. i want to put an external graphics card on it but i want a low powered card that can run on the laptops battery (or a 12v battery) and it has to use the laptops internal display, and yes i seen the big razor boxes but thay cost too much. Im not getting another laptop (some of you may tell me to).... any ideas? Thanks.

Specs are
windows 7 pro x64
160gb WD scorpio black (going to be upgraded)
3gb ram (2gb stick and 1gb stick) (also getting a upgrade)
Core 2 duo (T7500 at 2.20ghz)
Intel gma 965 (wddm 1.1)

Jun 13, 2022
Specs are
windows 7 pro x64
160gb WD scorpio black (going to be upgraded)
3gb ram (2gb stick and 1gb stick) (also getting a upgrade)
Core 2 duo (T7500 at 2.20ghz)
Intel gma 965 (wddm 1.1)

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
The only way it MAY be possible to hook up an external GPU to such an old laptop would be to remove the mini-PCIe WiFi card to re-purpose the slot for an external riser. With only PCIe 2.0x1 though, performance would almost certainly suck.

Almost anything is possible with the appropriate adapters but for such an old thing, it isn't worth the trouble. The IGP in modern laptops would likely run laps around the best you could get out of that laptop due to its nonexistent options for viable external PCIe.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Personally, I’ve never feel that eGPU is worth spending money on. There are 2 problems,
  1. Even with TB3 or 4, the PCI-E x4 is not enough especially if you are considering a fast GPU. In your case, the laptop don’t even support TB3 or 4, which means eGPU is not an option
  2. The CPU on older laptops are usually too slow because they are thermally constrained

In your case, you want to use the laptop’s display, which I suspect runs at either 720p or 1080p given the age of the laptop. So I won’t surprise the GPU will be heavily bottlenecked even if you can go around issue 1. In my opinion, if you want a gaming PC and also a slim + light laptop, it is best to segregate them. If you buy a “gaming” Ultrabook, it will perform poorly while still requiring a steep premium.

Jun 13, 2022
The only way it MAY be possible to hook up an external GPU to such an old laptop would be to remove the mini-PCIe WiFi card to re-purpose the slot for an external riser. With only PCIe 2.0x1 though, performance would almost certainly suck.

Almost anything is possible with the appropriate adapters but for such an old thing, it isn't worth the trouble. The IGP in modern laptops would likely run laps around the best you could get out of that laptop due to its nonexistent options for viable external PCIe.

Jun 13, 2022
Sorry for not responding. Any performance might be better than what i get out of a gma x3100
Also most likely I'm going a older gpu
(but not too old)

Jun 13, 2022
Not much of a calculation to do there: run time ~= battery Wh / GPU power. If you use a 84Wh battery (12V 7.2Ah SLA) to run a 70W GPU, you get ~1h of run time. Easiest part of the whole thing to solve.
Tha
eGPU (AKA - How to turn a poorly performing laptop into a poorly performing desktop)

Your laptop lacks the CPU horsepower to make use of a reasonable GPU.
Your laptop lacks the proper ports.

No, you can't do this. Especially if on the cheap.
what if i get a new cpu

Jun 13, 2022
Not much of a calculation to do there: run time ~= battery Wh / GPU power. If you use a 84Wh battery (12V 7.2Ah SLA) to run a 70W GPU, you get ~1h of run time. Easiest part of the whole thing to solve.
Tha
eGPU (AKA - How to turn a poorly performing laptop into a poorly performing desktop)

Your laptop lacks the CPU horsepower to make use of a reasonable GPU.
Your laptop lacks the proper ports.

No, you can't do this. Especially if on the cheap.
what if i get a new cpu

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The amount of money you would spend setting this up is better spent on a more recent refurbished laptop. You can gain several generations of CPU and graphics without spending too much.

I had a D630 at work, at the END of its deployment cycle in 2010, just silly to keep hanging on to it and expect any level of gaming performance out of it.

What were you going to spend on a GPU, and external cable, and additional 12V power supply (or battery...)? Take that, buy a used laptop or desktop.

Jun 13, 2022
The amount of money you would spend setting this up is better spent on a more recent refurbished laptop. You can gain several generations of CPU and graphics without spending too much.

I had a D630 at work, at the END of its deployment cycle in 2010, just silly to keep hanging on to it and expect any level of gaming performance out of it.

What were you going to spend on a GPU, and external cable, and additional 12V power supply (or battery...)? Take that, buy a used laptop or desktop.
The gpu will be abit old so not much 30-$70
The cable is 20-$40
Already have the batterys

Jun 13, 2022
brother has the bottom one
But i have two desktops already.

Alright listen please i don't won't a new laptop
I'm fine with performance loss or cpu bottle-necks (im getting new one for the d630)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS