Adding an Unmanaged Switch

Jun 19, 2018
I am adding an unmanaged switch to my network and I need some assistance getting this setup properly.

Modem: Motorola MB8600 Cable Modem DOCSIS 3.0
Wireless Router: Linksys EA7500
Switch: Cisco SG112-24

Does the wireless router need to connected to the Modem AND switch? I was hoping not since the router would be on the second floor and the modem and switch are in the basement. I'd have to run another cable down the walls which I'd prefer not to do, but I suppose I can if needed.

I'm currently doing testing of that setup:

MODEM ==> ROUTER ==> SWITCH

But the port where the router connects has the left light blinking amber with the right light solid green. I think I read this is a network loop. However, the other ports in the switch appear to work as I plugged my computer and and had network. Is the network loop an issue I need to correct (assuming that's what it really is?

Also, what is the SFP port on the switch and should I be using it?

You need to have the modem plugged into the WAN port of your router and the Switch plugged into a LAN port of your router.

Really for your arrangement. You should have a second router. It's not necessary if you run another cable. It's just more practical to have your modem, router and switch in one location.

In this setup. You would plug your modem into your new router's WAN port, your switch into one of its LAN ports. Your upstairs router would have DHCP disabled and a static IP address (one which is appropriate for your IP range). Then the cable running from downstairs to upstairs would be plugged into the LAN ports or each router. Causing the upstairs router to act as a simple access point and switch.