[SOLVED] adding cellular capabilities to a desktop or laptop

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
so hear is the project, I want to do the the stuff on a computer that a cellphone can do, like make calls and send text messages and access the internet over the 4G LTE network

lets face it, today's cellphones are just crappy hand-held computers with mobile networking capabilities. overpriced junk is what's being sold to the mindless millennials, with stupid apps and games.

so hear is what i found on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PCI-E...30bb867:g:jsQAAOSw2fRdFQ7C&LH_ItemCondition=3

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-N...rand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

s-l1600.jpg

will this stuff do what i want

Solution
so hear is the project, I want to do the the stuff on a computer that a cellphone can do, like make calls and send text messages and access the internet over the 4G LTE network

lets face it, today's cellphones are just crappy hand-held computers with mobile networking capabilities. overpriced junk is what's being sold to the mindless millennials, with stupid apps and games.

-- snip ---

So instead of having a 5" phone as a weaker computer with programs on it (that are designed to be run on that power) you want to make a 16" phone that weighs 10-20 times what an actual phone weighs that you can't carry with you and need to keep running and open to see your calls and text message?

Sticking a cell data card in a laptop will...

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
"lets face it, today's cellphones are just crappy hand-held computers with mobile networking capabilities. overpriced junk is what's being sold to the mindless millennials, with stupid apps and games."

Gotta keep this to laugh at later.

-- snip ---

So instead of having a 5" phone as a weaker computer with programs on it (that are designed to be run on that power) you want to make a 16" phone that weighs 10-20 times what an actual phone weighs that you can't carry with you and need to keep running and open to see your calls and text message?

Sticking a cell data card in a laptop will allow it to connect to a cell data service. Issue may be with antenna wiring, likely your laptop has an antenna around the screen for the WiFi card, you will need another for the cell card. There have been a lot of people asking how to make calls from a computer, if you do a web search you will find plenty of information, this is not a new idea.

Solution
I prefer to text on a full size keyboard as well. Perhaps you want to get GOOGLE VOICE. I can answer calls and texts from my cell phone, as well as on any internet browser.

Many laptops, especially business laptops have the option for a cellular mini-pcie card which you show in your link. However, not all are populated with the antenna wires, some are and some only come with the wires if you spec it out as an option from HP, Dell, or Lenovo.