Adding more RAM to my graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

batbot6

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
I have an Nvidia 840M with 2GB graphics card(which is horrible on its own) and 16GB of system ram, is it possible to give some of my system ram to the graphics card, will it help my gameplay? Also will there be any disadvantages?

Solution
Hi.
It is not possible to add any more RAM to your gpu. Graphic cards have VRam - it is different from the RAM . VRAM is used for graphic processing (textures , AA ).
RAM(your is 16 gb) is used mainly for storing temporary(recent) data - you can upgrade this type of memory , but you have enough.
VRAM is not the reason why your video card doesn't get you the performance you desire. Well it is very important if you want to play with maxed out setting (like high textures etc) , but much more important is the speed of the gpu (the bandwidth GDDR5) for example - 2 gb of GDDR5 is much better than 4 gb of DDR3
And here is the worst part about the laptop gpu - You cannot upgrade it(well sometimes you can , but that is rare and hard). You...

VoidFn

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
Hi.
It is not possible to add any more RAM to your gpu. Graphic cards have VRam - it is different from the RAM . VRAM is used for graphic processing (textures , AA ).
RAM(your is 16 gb) is used mainly for storing temporary(recent) data - you can upgrade this type of memory , but you have enough.
VRAM is not the reason why your video card doesn't get you the performance you desire. Well it is very important if you want to play with maxed out setting (like high textures etc) , but much more important is the speed of the gpu (the bandwidth GDDR5) for example - 2 gb of GDDR5 is much better than 4 gb of DDR3
And here is the worst part about the laptop gpu - You cannot upgrade it(well sometimes you can , but that is rare and hard). You will be stuck with your card untill you buy a new laptop. I am sorry. I had the same problem.

Solution
May 31, 2023
Hi.
And here is the worst part about the laptop gpu - You cannot upgrade it(well sometimes you can , but that is rare and hard). You will be stuck with your card untill you buy a new laptop. I am sorry. I had the same problem.
Is it possible to add Physical vram to laptop's gpu, like i give it to a professional and they just forge it on board since it's integrated

Status
Not open for further replies.