[SOLVED] Adding RAM to intel DH55PJ , pc keeps restarting after getting stuck on windows logo...

mahin101

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
PC build :
intel DH55PJ motherboard , core i3 540 (discontinued version ),
ram :
silicon power
SP002GBL TUI133V02
DDR3 1333 (CL9) 2GB
1011SO0550(13V)

Newly Bought RAM:
PC3 12800U 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz
512x8 81C CL11.0 U-DIMM (1.5V)
04x9006152232 9DXXCN4E made in Taiwan
Windows 10 home edition
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GT 730 2GB GDDR5
harddisk:

HITACHI 500GB

problem description:

Been using since December,2010 . Added a (probably) copy RAM (Transcend 4gb) in 2017 , had no problem until after more than 1 year later the pc kept showing BSOD screen of various errors . Local Computer technician said the 4GB ram module is faulty and HDD became old.
So I bought the new RAM mentioned above, inserted it alongside with the 2GB RAM .... PC showed a glimpse of a BSOD screen and went to restart loop.
Then I checked the RAM labels , the clock speed was different . My old 2GB RAM has CL 9 , but the new one has CL 11.0 !
So I checked the bios and changed the clock speed to 11-11-11-28 to match with the new RAM.
( Didnt change the multiplier and the voltage rating(1.5 )
Still cant get pass Windows logo : First it shows the windows logo and 'Preparing Automatic Repair' then PC restarts without stopping the motherboard ( the fans keep spinning but boot beeps are heard ) . After 2-3 times like this the pc shuts down .

So I removed the old 2GB RAM . But the pc still does the same with only the 4gb ram installed . then again set the clock
numbers to auto and then again manually set them to 11-11-11-28 , 1.5V . No change.. :(

I did have the BSOD screen appear again to me only for ONCE. the error code said : KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

Last edited:
Memory is only guaranteed in the form sold. The clock speed and timings are also for memory in the form sold.

Once you start combining memory that has never been tested together before, those specifications - the memory clock speed and timings, may no longer be achievable.

You can make any combinations you want and do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.

mahin101

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
Memory is only guaranteed in the form sold. The clock speed and timings are also for memory in the form sold.

Once you start combining memory that has never been tested together before, those specifications - the memory clock speed and timings, may no longer be achievable.

You can make any combinations you want and do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.
So I understand that the two RAMs are different in specifications (one has CL9, other has CL11 etc. ) , BUT why would my new RAM NOT work on its own (without the old 2GB RAM) ?