Question Additional 2nd CD-drive not showing

Aug 30, 2024
I have a HP Compaq 6000 Pro MT with WIN10-64-Pro with 1TB HDD. I just added an additional HDD with 750GB, just plugged it in with SATA power and data cable and it works.

However, I also added a second CD-ROM drive, also via SATA power and SATA data cable. It worked fine, showed up everywhere and all. I shut down the computer, went to bed and when I came back today, started it up and could not find the second CD-ROM anymore, not in the BIOS, not in hardware manager, not in win explorer...

I did what I did, researched and all and did all the possible things. I even put in a SATA card in a PCIe slot and attached the SATA data cable there. It showed up in the BIOS, but not anywhere else. The card has a sticker on it, it said RAID and in the Device Manager under "Other Devices" the RAID Controller shows up but has a yellow triangle. So perhaps the RAID additional SATA card does not work (it is old and perhaps not made for WIN10, but who knows I do not have the package anymore, took it out from a different PC who was running with WIN Vista in the past). But the RAID/SATA card is not the issue, I have 4 SATA data connection ports on my MOBO and the 4th one should do it. That is where I had the 2nd CD-ROM plugged in when it worked before I went to bed.

So I took the SATA cable off from the RAID/SATA card and plugged it back into the 4th SATA connector on my MOBO. BIOS did not show anything there, it only shows SATA0, SATA1 and SATA2 with a connection (HDD1, main with WIN 1TB / CD-ROM1 / empty HDD2 750GB) No SATA3 and no second CD-ROM.

The funny thing is that I also replaced the CD-ROM with another one, same configuration, it showed up for 30 seconds (so I thought the first CD-ROM died over night, powered off) but then that replacement also evaporated mysteriously and since then the replaced 2nd CD-ROM also is gone, not showing up. Both of those CD-ROMs are SATA devices and both do work, I could open and close them both, pressing on the button up front. But for whatever reason my PC does not see them at all...

The only thing still left to do is to replace the SATA cable itself, very odd if that would be the culprit, but I heard cables can go bad... The 2 unused SATA connections on my MOBO were not used until now and they were available, already on my MOBO and not dusty and not broken off, they are on the MOBO and ready to put a SATA cable in them. That's what I did.

My MOBO: HP 3048h
My BIOS: HP786G2 v02.03 Rev.A
PC: HP Compaq 6000 Pro MT (not the SFF)

How do I get one of the 2nd CD-ROM to work? The one that was alway installed works perfectly, the two HDD work also perfectly, they asll show up everywhere and all good... Just the second CD-ROM does not show up. And as I tried two different ones and both are not recognized by my PC, I have to assume it is something in the BIOS or hardware/Device Manager, but what and where and how and why???

Thank you for any help!!!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You say that you've plugged your 2nd ODD into SATA #3 port on MoBo. Have you tried e.g plugging your 2nd HDD into SATA#3 port, to make sure the SATA #3 port itself is working? While in the same time plug the 2nd ODD where 2nd HDD used to be (SATA #2 port).

If both ODDs show up in BIOS, but 2nd HDD doesn't, the SATA #3 port on MoBo is most likely bad.

Back in the day, when i used to run HDDs alongside my one ODD and SSD, my MoBo also had some beef with what device is plugged into what SATA port. Had to find the "correct" combination, so that all 4x devices would show up nicely.
Nowadays, i've phased out all HDDs. But i still have my ODD, 2x SATA SSDs and 2x M.2 SSDs in my system, while i have 6x SATA ports in total on my MoBo (3x of them are currently unused).