additional info on daughter's broke machine

It is a soyo dragon lite. As noted in earlier post, originally one short
beep and a long 15 second beep and power off. I left it lying on its side
with the side panel off to observe the CPU fan. I gave up and left it
overnight that way. This am the machine started up and I downloaded XP
updates, sent e-mail and all was well during the 3 or 4 hours use.
I put side back on and set it upright. After being off for over 5 or 6
hours the original problem is back on first boot attempt and additional
boots. Is it possible that the cpu fan does not like the vertical setup?
Does this make any sense to any readers?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Did you try a different/new cpu fan?
Maybe the bearings are shot in the existing fan????
Or maybe a grounding/shorting issue, or something shifting with the
mb/cards?
just an idea or two!
later,
dave

"Sligo" <sligo@cox.net> wrote in message
> It is a soyo dragon lite. As noted in earlier post, originally one short
> beep and a long 15 second beep and power off. I left it lying on its side
> with the side panel off to observe the CPU fan. I gave up and left it
> overnight that way. This am the machine started up and I downloaded XP
> updates, sent e-mail and all was well during the 3 or 4 hours use.
> I put side back on and set it upright. After being off for over 5 or 6
> hours the original problem is back on first boot attempt and additional
> boots. Is it possible that the cpu fan does not like the vertical setup?
> Does this make any sense to any readers?
> Thank you,
> Seamus J. Wilson

Thank you for ideas.
Best,
Seamus J.
"dave AKA vwdoc1" <NO_vwdoc1_SPAM_@hotmail.com_PLEASE> wrote in message
> Did you try a different/new cpu fan?
> Maybe the bearings are shot in the existing fan????
> Or maybe a grounding/shorting issue, or something shifting with the
> mb/cards?
> just an idea or two!
> later,
> dave
>
> "Sligo" <sligo@cox.net> wrote in message
> > It is a soyo dragon lite. As noted in earlier post, originally one short
> > beep and a long 15 second beep and power off. I left it lying on its
side
> > with the side panel off to observe the CPU fan. I gave up and left it
> > overnight that way. This am the machine started up and I downloaded XP
> > updates, sent e-mail and all was well during the 3 or 4 hours use.
> > I put side back on and set it upright. After being off for over 5 or 6
> > hours the original problem is back on first boot attempt and additional
> > boots. Is it possible that the cpu fan does not like the vertical
setup?
> > Does this make any sense to any readers?
> > Thank you,
> > Seamus J. Wilson

"Sligo" <sligo@cox.net> wrote in message news:<gwlfc.7088$ab3.3859@fed1read02>...
> It is a soyo dragon lite. As noted in earlier post, originally one short
> beep and a long 15 second beep and power off. I left it lying on its side
> with the side panel off to observe the CPU fan. I gave up and left it
> overnight that way. This am the machine started up and I downloaded XP
> updates, sent e-mail and all was well during the 3 or 4 hours use.
> I put side back on and set it upright. After being off for over 5 or 6
> hours the original problem is back on first boot attempt and additional
> boots. Is it possible that the cpu fan does not like the vertical setup?
> Does this make any sense to any readers?
> Thank you,
> Seamus J. Wilson

Does the cpu fan startup when the case is positioned upright? If not, then
you need a new one. If it does run with the chassis upright, then I would
be looking for some type of mechanical mounting issue with the motherboard
itself or installed pc cards. Take out any cards an reseat in the slots, and
check that the 6 or 8 motherboard mounting screws are tight.

Andy

Glad you got it running well again!
you're welcome! :)