[SOLVED] Admin password change on Huawei HG8245W5-6T

Dec 11, 2021
Does anyone know whether it's possible to change the default admin password on the Huawei HG8245W5-6T ONT and how can it be done?

Solution
There are many things on these type of routers that the ISP does not want you to have access to.

There should be a useid/password you use to do stuff like change the wifi passwords and lan ip addresses. If you are looking to change things like GPON settings the ISP is not going to want you doing that even if you find a way.

In general because routers like this have some master password the ISP can use I would not trust them. If someone say a bad employee got the passwords they could mess with everyone router. I would always put a router you have full control over in front of the ISP router. You could then more or less use it as just a modem and not care about the settings.

Huawei has a history of back door passwords and is...
Does anyone know whether it's possible to change the default admin password on the Huawei HG8245W5-6T ONT and how can it be done?
if you want to change the admin password, you need to log in as a superuser account which could be found here (sometimes you need to ask the carrier itself since it's a carrier item), then go to reset and change the admin password, it should be like this (dont mind my router page, it's the same as yours):
unknown.png

There are many things on these type of routers that the ISP does not want you to have access to.

There should be a useid/password you use to do stuff like change the wifi passwords and lan ip addresses. If you are looking to change things like GPON settings the ISP is not going to want you doing that even if you find a way.

In general because routers like this have some master password the ISP can use I would not trust them. If someone say a bad employee got the passwords they could mess with everyone router. I would always put a router you have full control over in front of the ISP router. You could then more or less use it as just a modem and not care about the settings.

Huawei has a history of back door passwords and is one of the key reasons the USA banded the use of their equipment in cell towers.

Solution
Dec 11, 2021
Omg, how many clearance levels does this thing have? I only managed to find the credentials for the admin level...What should I ask my ISP for, the super user credentials?

I have also tried editing the config file, but it all seems to be heavily encrypted. What algorithm could this be? IMAGE

Or if if what I tried to do is impossible, can I at least somehow disable the root (that's what the highest clearance account is called apparently) and admin account? What would happened if were to set the Enable value from 1 to 0?

Last edited:
Omg, how many clearance levels does this thing have? I only managed to find the credentials for the admin level...What should I ask my ISP for, the super user credentials?

I have also tried editing the config file, but it all seems to be heavily encrypted. What algorithm could this be? IMAGE

Or if if what I tried to do is impossible, can I at least somehow disable the root (that's what the highest clearance account is called apparently) and admin account? What would happened if were to set the Enable value from 1 to 0?
well yes, try to ask them that you wanted to change the default admin password.