adobe rgb v srgb

Not only in photoshop but in my camera i have the option of adobe rgb or
srgb. How much of a difference does it make to colour accuracy?

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

"ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com> wrote in message
> Not only in photoshop but in my camera i have the option of adobe rgb or
> srgb. How much of a difference does it make to colour accuracy?

Does not make all that much difference to colour accuracy.

SRGB is designed for Web use and other "On Screen" displays.

Adobe RGB has a slightly wider range (Gamut) of colours, especially in the
reds, which is more of a match to the output from Inkjet Printers.

Roy G

"Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message
> "ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com> wrote in message
>> Not only in photoshop but in my camera i have the option of adobe rgb or
>> srgb. How much of a difference does it make to colour accuracy?
>
> Does not make all that much difference to colour accuracy.
>
> SRGB is designed for Web use and other "On Screen" displays.
>
> Adobe RGB has a slightly wider range (Gamut) of colours, especially in the
> reds, which is more of a match to the output from Inkjet Printers.

I think i will set my camera back to srgb. As for my monitor i will leave
that alone for the time being. Adobe opens up in whatever format the file
is in i believe though i could be wrong.

birdman

Unless you understand and use color management these designations of color
space make little difference to you.
Should you want to learn more and have more predicable results you would be
better off keeping everything in one color space, sRGB or AdobeRGB.
In the long run AdobeRGB is the better color space to use as it contains
more colors. You can convert an sRGB image to AdobeRGB without loss of color
information. If you convert an image from AdobeRGB to sRGB you irretrievably
lose color information.

> "Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "ian lincoln" <jessops@sux.com> wrote in message
>>> Not only in photoshop but in my camera i have the option of adobe rgb or
>>> srgb. How much of a difference does it make to colour accuracy?
>>
>> Does not make all that much difference to colour accuracy.
>>
>> SRGB is designed for Web use and other "On Screen" displays.
>>
>> Adobe RGB has a slightly wider range (Gamut) of colours, especially in
>> the reds, which is more of a match to the output from Inkjet Printers.
>>

> I think i will set my camera back to srgb. As for my monitor i will leave
> that alone for the time being. Adobe opens up in whatever format the file
> is in i believe though i could be wrong.

Adobe Elements will use either sRGB or Adobe RGB depending on which profile
is taggd to the image, Photoshop will use the Working Space you select, and
may ask if you want to convert the File to that Space.

Set your camera for whichever suits.

Your Monitor should always use its own Monitor Profile, which has nothing
whatsoever to do with your choice of Working Space.

Roy G

TRENDING THREADS