[SOLVED] Advanced Recovery Failure

billybob713

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2015
So yesterday my pc started randomly shutting down. I figured that the problem was likely overheating related and I remembered that in years prior I had overclocked my cpu. So I went into my bios and changed the frequency to "Auto" and noticed a setting having to do with voltage that was flashing "voltage not optimized" as it had been manually set, so I similarly changed that to "Auto". However, after exiting bios my computer immediately got stuck in a recovery loop. The system would boot up and it would say repairing and then go to a blue screen that would say the computer needs to be restarted with a "WHEA" error and this would proceed indefinitely. I looked it up and found that the solution was generally to boot into advanced recovery and try one of those options in order to fix the computer. However, whenever I try to use advanced recovery, no matter the method, reset, system restore, command prompt, etc., it is always interrupted by the blue screen which restarts the machine and starts the loop all over again. Seeing as advanced recovery is the only way out of this loop it seems like there is no way to fix this. Would anyone have any idea how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Try resetting your BIOS to defaults by unplugging it and pulling the CMOS battery for 10 seconds.

Of course you also have the issue already of the system shutting down so this crashing now may just be a continuation of the issue. The WHEA error often comes up when there is something wrong with the CPU.
Try resetting your BIOS to defaults by unplugging it and pulling the CMOS battery for 10 seconds.

Of course you also have the issue already of the system shutting down so this crashing now may just be a continuation of the issue. The WHEA error often comes up when there is something wrong with the CPU.

Solution