[SOLVED] Advice for buying Ryzen 5 5600X

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
I have understimated marketplace today, i never though Ryzen 5 3600 is sold out almost in every places. but a new Ryzen 5 5600X just release and its also ready in my place, but its only available if i'm buying it bundle with motherboard, do i need buy it, please, any advice is appreciated.

here the specification :
Processor : Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard : Gigabyte B550M DS3H
Cooler Fan : AMD Stock Cooler

i have ask the shopkeeper and he said i also can change the motherboard with other choice like B550 AORUS MASTER or b550 Aorus Elite but its so Expensive,

what do you think ? do i need to buy this processor, i have take a look at the benchmark and ryzen 5 5600X is hugely more faster than ryzen 5 3600 with the same Watt so i don't need to change my current PSU too. and what about the motherboard, is it good enough ? or do i need to save money for now to buy the Aorus Master or Elite ? please any advice is appreciated, thanks in advanced

Solution
so is gigabyte is enough for me ? i don't really need like multiple LAN, USB-C or other super duper Ports. just four default USB Port and Audio Port is enough for me. i just don't want to break my PC because of bad choice of motherboard.
if gigabyte is good enough for Ryzen 5 5600x without any issue then i will definitely buy it. whats your opinion on this sir ?

as for the new case, actually even with current case Imperion E3 Gaming PC Case ATX Multicolor LED Fan inside is like full of wild snake because of my PSU Cable. any Case recommendation ? below 60$ if possible or slightly higher maybe

You should get a better power supply that is modular rather than a new case, Corsair CXM is a good cheaper model for a gaming setup...
You would be MUCH better off with a 5600x than a 3600, depending on what you actually need it for. What is your use case?

I would definitely NOT want to pair the Ryzen 5600x with the DS3H. That is a pretty low end board. I mean, it would "work", but I suspect you'd likely face some thermal issues at some point ESPECIALLY if you live in a region with a very high ambient temperature.

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
You would be MUCH better off with a 5600x than a 3600, depending on what you actually need it for. What is your use case?

I would definitely NOT want to pair the Ryzen 5600x with the DS3H. That is a pretty low end board. I mean, it would "work", but I suspect you'd likely face some thermal issues at some point ESPECIALLY if you live in a region with a very high ambient temperature.

i'm mostly using this for gaming and watching video's well sometimes uses it for developing Desktop and Android programs but mainly for gaming, especially i want to try Yuzu Nintendo Switch Emulator which the recommendation is Ryzen 5 3600 or higher.

I see, so i need to save money for now and buy the higher spec of mobo then. is Aorus Elite is enough ?

What do you have right now?

What is the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor you'll be using? What kind of settings do you intend to play at?

Truthfully, you'd be better off with the 3600 and a half decent motherboard, if that is cheaper for you, than you would with the 5600x and a cheap motherboard. Yes, the Aorus Elite would be a better choice than the DS3H, without any doubt.

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
this is what i have right now :

i want to change my old PC to Ryzen so i also need to buy a new mobo too

as for the monitor, its refresh rate is 59 Hz.

if you really said that Ryzen 5 3600 is more than enough for me then i might just do that and will buy the it. whats your opinion on this ?

Nov 19, 2020
this is what i have right now :

i want to change my old PC to Ryzen so i also need to buy a new mobo too

as for the monitor, its refresh rate is 59 Hz.

if you really said that Ryzen 5 3600 is more than enough for me then i might just do that and will buy the it. whats your opinion on this ?

I think value wise, the 3600 is plenty. Keep in mind since you will be getting a new CPU/MOBO, you will also need DDR4 RAM. I recommend 16GB total as a baseline, but you COULD get away with 8GB if you're on a budget, and upgrade to 16GB later. Ryzen works best with DDR4-3200 or DDR4-3600 RAM. You may also need a little higher rated PSU than 500W, but that depends on the GPU you will be using in combination with the Ryzen. You may get away with 500W though, but I personally would feel better with around 750W.

As for the motherboard, look at the features and see what you need. Generally, the more expensive boards are just for better thermals/power delivery/VRMs and newer "top of the line" features, and just MORE stuff ( multiple LAN ports, more USB ports etc). If this isn't required, or you won't be overclocking at all, you will be just fine with a $150-$200 MOBO. Do a bit of research on a few boards that suits your needs and go from there. You may only need a couple USB 2.0/3.0/3.1 ports, so why get a board with USB-C/USB 3.2 ports? These are questions you need to ask yourself when buying a board. I would say the Aorus Elite/Pro is a decent mid range option if you need to go Gigabyte. Again, just look at what you need and go from there.

Also, a new case may be the way to go as well, but that depends if you feel like taking apart your current build and reusing the same case. I like to start fresh, but that's me.

Good luck!

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
I think value wise, the 3600 is plenty. Keep in mind since you will be getting a new CPU/MOBO, you will also need DDR4 RAM. I recommend 16GB total as a baseline, but you COULD get away with 8GB if you're on a budget, and upgrade to 16GB later. Ryzen works best with DDR4-3200 or DDR4-3600 RAM. You may also need a little higher rated PSU than 500W, but that depends on the GPU you will be using in combination with the Ryzen. You may get away with 500W though, but I personally would feel better with around 750W.

As for the motherboard, look at the features and see what you need. Generally, the more expensive boards are just for better thermals/power delivery/VRMs and newer "top of the line" features, and just MORE stuff ( multiple LAN ports, more USB ports etc). If this isn't required, or you won't be overclocking at all, you will be just fine with a $150-$200 MOBO. Do a bit of research on a few boards that suits your needs and go from there. You may only need a couple USB 2.0/3.0/3.1 ports, so why get a board with USB-C/USB 3.2 ports? These are questions you need to ask yourself when buying a board. I would say the Aorus Elite/Pro is a decent mid range option if you need to go Gigabyte. Again, just look at what you need and go from there.

Also, a new case may be the way to go as well, but that depends if you feel like taking apart your current build and reusing the same case. I like to start fresh, but that's me.

Good luck!

so is gigabyte is enough for me ? i don't really need like multiple LAN, USB-C or other super duper Ports. just four default USB Port and Audio Port is enough for me. i just don't want to break my PC because of bad choice of motherboard.
if gigabyte is good enough for Ryzen 5 5600x without any issue then i will definitely buy it. whats your opinion on this sir ?

as for the new case, actually even with current case Imperion E3 Gaming PC Case ATX Multicolor LED Fan inside is like full of wild snake because of my PSU Cable. any Case recommendation ? below 60$ if possible or slightly higher maybe

Nov 19, 2020

Gigabyte/Asus are both solid brands, any mid range board from those manufacturers will be just fine. As for the case, it all comes down to personal preference. I think the Fractal Design Focus G or Corsair Carbide 275R are good choices if on a budget, but there are many good alternatives.

Last edited:

You should get a better power supply that is modular rather than a new case, Corsair CXM is a good cheaper model for a gaming setup. Also make sure you are routing the cables properly using the cut-outs on the case instead of going over the top of the motherboard.

Solution
If that Imperion E3 Gaming PC Case is what you have now, I don't really see any reason to change it immediately other than it looks like it probably has very poor airflow. That Enlight PSU, that HAS to go. That is a dumpster fire waiting to happen.

Coming from the 4770, since that's what you have right now, I don't think I'd spend the money on the Ryzen 3600. Most of what you're doing other than probably some of the games, isn't particularly heavily threaded unless you are programming applications that are heavily threaded that need to be tested using a high thread count CPU, so you could probably just get everything else and then just wait to get the CPU when it comes available. Of course, it's your money and your system, so if you feel like you can afford to, and need to, get the 3600 as a placeholder, then that's fine too.

To be honest, the Ryzen 3600 doesn't have significantly higher single core performance than your 4770. It's better, but not by that much. The 5600x on the other hand has not only more cores and threads but SIGNIFICANTLY better single core performance, so no matter what you are doing, aside from data transfers, you'll see noticeable improvement across the board.

Realistically though, either of them is a nice improvement. I guess I feel like if you're going to spend the money, you should just do it once and be done for 5-7 years.

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
If that Imperion E3 Gaming PC Case is what you have now, I don't really see any reason to change it immediately other than it looks like it probably has very poor airflow. That Enlight PSU, that HAS to go. That is a dumpster fire waiting to happen.

Coming from the 4770, since that's what you have right now, I don't think I'd spend the money on the Ryzen 3600. Most of what you're doing other than probably some of the games, isn't particularly heavily threaded unless you are programming applications that are heavily threaded that need to be tested using a high thread count CPU, so you could probably just get everything else and then just wait to get the CPU when it comes available. Of course, it's your money and your system, so if you feel like you can afford to, and need to, get the 3600 as a placeholder, then that's fine too.

To be honest, the Ryzen 3600 doesn't have significantly higher single core performance than your 4770. It's better, but not by that much. The 5600x on the other hand has not only more cores and threads but SIGNIFICANTLY better single core performance, so no matter what you are doing, aside from data transfers, you'll see noticeable improvement across the board.

Realistically though, either of them is a nice improvement. I guess I feel like if you're going to spend the money, you should just do it once and be done for 5-7 years.

thanks for the reply Darkbreeze,

that Enlight PSU actually has 5 year warranty and I have bought it for about 1 and half a year, but so many people already said I need to change the PSU, is that PSU really that bad lol.... well no choice then. I will change it immediately.

as for the reason i upgrade from i7-4770, IT IS actually improve a lot using ryzen. and i change my PC not because i want the ryzen but i need the ryzen. not only it cheaper than intel it also faster than intel at about the same price. i also want to try Yuzu emulator too since using i7-4770 is too slow to even play anything and many other things too.

and yeah, this is my first overall upgrade actually. in my old PC I only upgrade RAM, change PSU and add HDD but that's about it. i hope the new PC i bought can last like 10 years, hopefully....

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
You should get a better power supply that is modular rather than a new case, Corsair CXM is a good cheaper model for a gaming setup. Also make sure you are routing the cables properly using the cut-outs on the case instead of going over the top of the motherboard.

thanks for the suggestion also advice, you are right. this is my second topic and many people already said to me to change my PSU. your choice is the most cheaper and I will definitely buy it.

Enlight USED to be a company that you could recommend, a LONG time ago. It has been probably 10 years since I've seen anything with the Enlight name on it that could be recommended with a good conscience. So yes, it's probably really that bad. Most of what I've seen in regard to mentions of the "Black silver" units have been from people with failed units or damaged hardware.

Brands that in general should never be trusted at all except when a positive reliable review for a SPECIFIC MODEL from that brand exists.

One or two of these brands listed below MIGHT have a single model or two that are cut from a completely different mold than what that brand is known for (Or manufacture anything from mediocre to decent quality units under other brand names but not their own. One example would be HEC that makes some decent models under the Cougar label and a few rather borderline ones in the past for EVGA, but their own HEC/Compucase Orion units have historically been terrible.), but overall, if they are listed below they are primarily known for selling just plain junk and in many cases, very dangerous junk that lacks adequate protections or cannot even manage to sustain a fraction of whatever rated capacity their products might indicate on the specifications as far as units sold under their OWN name. I have yet to see any that were of recommendable quality or in many cases even safe for use.

A-Top, AK Power, Akyga, Alpine, Apevia, Apex (Supercase/Allied), Artic, Ace, Aerocool (There might be one model worth using, but I'd still avoid them.), Aspire (Turbocase), Atadc, Atrix, Broadway com corp, Chieftech, Circle, CIT, Coolmax, Deer, Diablotek, Dynapower, Dynex, Eagletech, Enlight, Eurotech, Evo labs, EZ cool, Feedtek, Foxconn, G7, HEC (Compucase Orion), HEDY, High power, iBall, iStar computer co., Jeantec, JPac, Jual, Just PC, Kentek, Kolink, LC Power, Linkworld electronics, Logisys, Macron, MSI, Njoy, NmediaPC, Norwood Micro (CompUSA), Okia, Powercool, Powerlogic, Powmax, Pulsepower, Q-tec, Quantex, Raidmax, Rave, Rocketfish, Segotep, SFC, Sharkoon, Shuttle, Skyhawk, Spire, Startech, Storm, Sumvision, Tesla, Trust, Ultra, Wintech, Winpower, Xilence (Until I see a reputable review of a model showing different), xTreme (Cyberpower), Youngbear and Zebronics.

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
Enlight USED to be a company that you could recommend, a LONG time ago. It has been probably 10 years since I've seen anything with the Enlight name on it that could be recommended with a good conscience. So yes, it's probably really that bad. Most of what I've seen in regard to mentions of the "Black silver" units have been from people with failed units or damaged hardware.

Brands that in general should never be trusted at all except when a positive reliable review for a SPECIFIC MODEL from that brand exists.

One or two of these brands listed below MIGHT have a single model or two that are cut from a completely different mold than what that brand is known for (Or manufacture anything from mediocre to decent quality units under other brand names but not their own. One example would be HEC that makes some decent models under the Cougar label and a few rather borderline ones in the past for EVGA, but their own HEC/Compucase Orion units have historically been terrible.), but overall, if they are listed below they are primarily known for selling just plain junk and in many cases, very dangerous junk that lacks adequate protections or cannot even manage to sustain a fraction of whatever rated capacity their products might indicate on the specifications as far as units sold under their OWN name. I have yet to see any that were of recommendable quality or in many cases even safe for use.

A-Top, AK Power, Akyga, Alpine, Apevia, Apex (Supercase/Allied), Artic, Ace, Aerocool (There might be one model worth using, but I'd still avoid them.), Aspire (Turbocase), Atadc, Atrix, Broadway com corp, Chieftech, Circle, CIT, Coolmax, Deer, Diablotek, Dynapower, Dynex, Eagletech, Enlight, Eurotech, Evo labs, EZ cool, Feedtek, Foxconn, G7, HEC (Compucase Orion), HEDY, High power, iBall, iStar computer co., Jeantec, JPac, Jual, Just PC, Kentek, Kolink, LC Power, Linkworld electronics, Logisys, Macron, MSI, Njoy, NmediaPC, Norwood Micro (CompUSA), Okia, Powercool, Powerlogic, Powmax, Pulsepower, Q-tec, Quantex, Raidmax, Rave, Rocketfish, Segotep, SFC, Sharkoon, Shuttle, Skyhawk, Spire, Startech, Storm, Sumvision, Tesla, Trust, Ultra, Wintech, Winpower, Xilence (Until I see a reputable review of a model showing different), xTreme (Cyberpower), Youngbear and Zebronics.

well damn.... but because its already exceed my budget, i think i will wait for 1 or 2 month later to change the PSU. hopefully my i7 4770 can handle the pressure untill then

Yes, the thing is, you want to plan to change it at the same time you upgrade the CPU, motherboard, etc. Often, a power supply that is working ok at the time a platform change occurs, fails after the platform change because there is a change in demand from the system or simply because it's routine was altered, I guess. Sometimes it doesn't even make sense that it worked before but doesn't afterwards other than it's almost always a cheap PSU that is involved which makes it not particularly surprising.

As long as you do that, you should hopefully be good.

Latest posts