Question Advice for choosing a hdd with good read/write which is quiet

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
Hey,
I will go straight to the point.
I am looking for a drive to replace my old samsung hdd drive HD154UI .
I think it runs for over 10 years maybe longer. I kinda forget when i bought it exactly xD
It runs without any issues, despite the fact it is over 10 years old; The main reason i want to replace is the noise and speed.
Few years ago i bought WD40EFRX - wd red 4tb red drive and it is faster and quieter than this old samsung drive.
I was thinking once again to buy same type of drive.
Now i found that standard red drives i named red plus nowadays; I also found out about this drama WD analitics is placing a warning on any nas drive that has over 3 years. WD NAS drive drama
I wonder if this will any affect on performance of my drive?
I do not use nas, i use red drive only for reliability. That is why i bought that red drive in the first place; purple have lower reading speed and WD black are 7200 which means they are noisier and since i am noise freak this aspect of my PC is an important factor.
I tried using seagate drives but i always have bad luck with them aka smart failure within 5-6 months of buying them.
So i wonder if this wd analictics is something i should be afraid off as a standard pc user. I do not copy large files but my pc is usually turned on for huge amount of time.
Thanks for the info,
Cheers

Lutfij

Titan

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
my old samsung hdd drive HD154UI
It's a drive made back in 2009;
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/1.5tb-hdd-caviar,2331-3.html

You might want to look into the FireCuda range of drives from Seagate. Just an FYIO, if you're investing in an HDD to retain mission critical data, it goes without saying that you should have a copy of them on another drive in the event that the one that was hooked to your platform decided to go South without a warning.
I kinda forgot i made that topic xD
I do not hdd performance drive, i have 2 ssd for that.
I do not have any mission critical stuff, i just download a lot of stuff plus i have gathered i lot of over the years which i like to keep around.
If i recall correctly it this disk worked fine plus i didn't have my wd blue and wd red back then.
Like i said i am looking for quiet disk with good write/read speeds and that old drive isn't either quiet or have good speeds compared to modern hdd 5400 drives.

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
The way a drive is mounted can also affect perceived noise. Ideally a drive should be mounted with rubber grommets between the drive and the mounting tray.
I am rather sensitive when it comes to noise. So that is why i am wondering is it worth changing my old samsung drive.
A ssd will be absolutely silent, more reliable, and considerably faster.
Yes, it will be more expensive.
I already have 2ssd in pc. One for system, other for games.
I am not buying ssd just for hold stuff there.
HDD are still better option.
4TB HDD cost as much as 1TB SSD.