Advice for Overclocking/Cooling a GPU

Sebastian_64

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
Hi Peoples,

I currently have a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card and would like to upgrade to Water Cooling for it.

I want to find out if it may be possible to use a CPU AIO cooler for my GPU. I am looking at the Antec Mercury 360 RGB Liquid Cooler.

Still a noob with Water cooling and don't want to mess up. Please let me know! Thanks!

Solution
If you want to use an AIO on a GPU, you'll need a bracket you can buy for the GPU to mount your AIO.
Like the Kraken G10 https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-g10-white
You'll need to take the cooler off your existing card and replace it with this, you'll also need some small heatsinks for the Vrm's of your card to stick on.

Although what clocks are you running to need the cooling? or do you want to do this just for fun ;)

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
If you want to use an AIO on a GPU, you'll need a bracket you can buy for the GPU to mount your AIO.
Like the Kraken G10 https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-g10-white
You'll need to take the cooler off your existing card and replace it with this, you'll also need some small heatsinks for the Vrm's of your card to stick on.

Although what clocks are you running to need the cooling? or do you want to do this just for fun ;)

Solution

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
I want to find out if it may be possible to use a CPU AIO cooler for my GPU
Instead of doing that, just change the thermal paste to something better. Use liquid metal if you want to go all out. Add a couple of case fans too for improved airflow. Especially lower side panel fan as it cools the GPU directly.
Antec Mercury 360 RGB Liquid Cooler
You need special bracket to mount it. Otherwise, it wouldn't stick. If you have money to spare, use it on a better GPU.

Even if you use liquid nitrogen or water chiller with your AIO, you would get a 15% boost at most if you're lucky. The problem is the chip's own limitation, not chip's temperature. Buying a 1070/Ti would be a better option.

If you're doing it for fun or for future projects, go for it.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Simply pulling the factory installed cooler and replacing with some good thermal paste can often make a difference on GPUs. Most of them come with that thick, mealy generic paste and a bit of even moderately good thermal compound can make 5C+ difference.

Sebastian_64

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017

Thanks man!

Just wanna learn how to OC to be honest. I know that getting a 1070 or 1080 would be a no brainer. Just wanted some advice.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Just wanna learn how to OC to be honest
If you need a guide:

0. Open MSI Afterburner. I found the MSI AB v3 skin to be easier on the eyes.
0. Run UNIGINE Valley on Ultra + Windowed. Any other benchmark works too.

1. Max your power limit. (Good PSU recommended)

2. Increase your core clock 50+ at a time while looking at UNIGINE benchmark till artifacts (weird lines and colors) appear or your driver crashes. Then fine tune it compared to your previous clock.
Example Core clock: ... > +200 > artifact > +190 > no artifact > +165 (Keep it 25 or more below max stable)

3. Do the same for Memory. (50 or more below max stable)

4. Save your profile.

5. Don't check apply overclocking at startup. You can check it after few days of testing.

Keep your temps below 80c/176F, if you go over it or stay near it, consider installing a fan on your case near the GPU.

TRENDING THREADS