Advice Needed: Moving away from intel to AMD

Arham_saif

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
I am going to upgrade my CPU from i3 to AMD 8350 or 8320.is this is the best buy for me?
also i am going to purchase:
Gigabyte 990fx gaming MoBo
16ram
Nvdia GTX 1060
650wt smps

is my confi is good or gaming or suggest me better in equivalent price.

Thanks in Advance :)

Solution

Good grief no.
Which i3 do you currently have?

The existing AMD line is old and at the end of its upgrade path. Either continue on Intel, or wait for the Zen line to emerge.

USAFRet

Titan

Good grief no.
Which i3 do you currently have?

The existing AMD line is old and at the end of its upgrade path. Either continue on Intel, or wait for the Zen line to emerge.

Solution

oobymach

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Welcome to the club brother, intel can suck it as far as I'm concerned. Been avoiding their 'products' for the last 20 years (holy ... I'm old). Go with the 8350 as most of them can hit 4.6 ghz and all of them can hit 4.4, there's a big difference in gaming @ higher clock speeds.

Most games now require the 8core because it's been out for a while, so for probably another year or 2 games will require it until the new stuff gains ground and developers switch to that.

It's not the best route, it's not the fastest, but if like me you're sick of intel and its fanboys then go for it.

Also, both ps4 and xbox one use amd 8core cpu's, so cross platform games will be built for your cpu.

EDIT: LOL @ the haters down voting my comment.

00cpuioc_zpsmeb6ggyo.png

fanboi's or not numbers and benchmarks don't lie. but to each their own

Well you didnt exactly provide any real evidence, your CPU-Z screen does not indicate performance.
Games still have not made the transition to utilizing more cores, when or if that happens AMDs current IPC is still lacking regardless.
Clock speeds are irrelevant unless you compare two identical processors due to variable IPC performance.

Heres mine, for no reason:
http://valid.x86.fr/5dcs16

Unless you're running a first gen i3 like the i3 530, moving to AMD isn't going to offer you much of a performance boost, and is going to be more of a sidegrade as far as gaming performance goes. If you have a Sandy Bridge i3 eg. the 2100 or newer, then either stick with what you currently have and wait for Zen if you really want AMD, or maybe look at getting an i5 or i7 that works with your motherboard.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

for that money you could be actually upgrading to an i5 ... XD

and not downgrading/sidegrading

undouble

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

Without data as to your current CPU parameters, it's almost impossible to state for sure. Both of the AMD cpu's you mention are 8-core systems, are near the end-of-life (as far as sales are concerned), and will soon be relegated to 3rd tier units (per Tom's Hardware criteria). All of that being said, either AMD cpu "may" be better than your current unit. My personal preference is the 8320, because it provides the best performance value. Again, my comment is based on limited information, as your I-3 may well be a "better" cpu than either of your choices. The other criteria to look at is: "just what are you doing with your current set-up"?? None of the cpu;s you speak of are using ANYWHERE near their potential, because the available software does NOT demand it, nor can the software use the available potential!! At this point, any change you make will provide only an incremental improvement, small enough that you may not even notice it, in your system's performance.
By the way, I'm currently running an AMD 8320 cpu, and am very happy with it. For my usage (gaming) I have at least the same (noticeable) performance as the latest Intel I-5 unit---------but at a cost my budget can afford. That's not to say that Intel isn't "better"-it just costs more, and any difference in performance is very small--------except for those performing very high intensity computing activities------which games don't even approach.

jeffredo

Distinguished
I have both an i5-4690k system and an FX-8320E PC overclocked to 4.3 Ghz. There are a number of games where the difference is noticeable both in max and min FPS. If you're serious about PC gaming by all means get a current gen Skylake i5 at the least. Zen may make AMD competitive again in the CPU arena. A five year old architecture that was weak back then certainly didn't.

Sumo999

Honorable
Jun 27, 2015
Go with an i5 for best performance for money or i7 if you can afford it. I have a 8350 in my spare machine and it plays everything fine a lot of it is to do with the GPu as well, but the intel are just so much faster.

alsmith

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
You really aren't helping anyone to help you, or helping yourself. Start with what you want to do with the computer you have (hardware specs), what games or applications you run (or want to run), what graphics card you have (or will have), what monitor/resolution you use (& want to use)........ Without knowing this then you get guesses, not real help on your needs.

g-unit1111

Titan

This right here. It's pointless to buy AMD FX at this point in the game and when / if AMD's next generation platform Zen shows up is currently anybody's guess. The fact that it is taking so long and has been repeatedly pushed back and pushed back is definitely not a good sign. Depending on what your current i3 is, upgrading to even an i3-6100 or i5-6500 will be a better purchase than an FX-8320 is at this point.

Most games now require the 8core because it's been out for a while, so for probably another year or 2 games will require it until the new stuff gains ground and developers switch to that.

They have? Show me one game where an 8 core CPU is a requirement. Even the resource hungry Star Citizen doesn't use more than 4 currently.

Also, both ps4 and xbox one use amd 8core cpu's, so cross platform games will be built for your cpu.

Two words: Arkham Knight.

oobymach

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Fallout 4 the recommended system requirements are a 4.7ghz fx9590.

Minimum:

Operating system: Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz or equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Hard disk space: 30 GB free HDD space
Video: NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB / AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

Recommended:

Operating system: Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790 3.6GHz / AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz or equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Hard disk space: 30 GB free HDD space
Video: NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB / AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB or equivalent

I meant most cross platform games being developed for xbox ps4 and pc will require it.

oobymach

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
Yeah but gta4's minimum requirement is a dual core amd or intel chip. It will 'run' on these chips but it was designed for a triple core cpu so dual cores lag horribly with it even though they meet the minimum required to 'run' the game.

Ever tried to play gta4 on a dual core? Even on a 3ghz athlon 64x2 I couldn't play with minimum settings without horrible lag. Minimum means it will barely run it.
Grand Theft Auto IV Minimum Requirements
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4GHz

Grand Theft Auto IV Recommended Requirements
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1GHz

You can play fallout 4 on a low end cpu but not without horrible lag, play it on an 8core at 4.6ghz it's smooth as silk.

The recommended requirements are recommended for a reason, the game was developed for them.

USAFRet

Titan
Pursuant to the OP's request/question...we have no idea since he has not been back for a week.

Pursuant to the general question of AMD vs Intel...HAHAHAHAHA.
This has been beat to death in multiple threads here. And anyone saying get the "FX-9590, Furnace Edition", is seriously deluded.

Like it or not, the current AMD line is badly outdated. Spending money on an 'upgrade' to something in that line is a waste of money.
Personally, I don't like to waste money.
Either keep what you have, change/stay with to Intel, or wait for Zen.

At this rate, though....I think the Zen line is being made with powdered unicorn horn as a substrate.
And their unicorn source has dried up.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The new AM4 boards with ddr4 are supposed to be available in December from aio partners, planted with an A12 9800? The new Zen FX Cpus are supposed to be featured at the January CES, so should be available shortly after that. That's what I hear anyways.

Personally, I'd skip Zen entirely, it has too many shades of Bulldozeri for my taste. If I was going to use AMD, I'd be waiting for Zen Plus (Piledriver Plus?) and the R2.0 boards. AMD just doesn't seem to have too much luck with anything 1st gen.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fallout 4 uses the same game engine as Skyrim. These games are above average cpu usage. Also, because of limited thread usage, the engine relies very heavily on 2 things. Core speed and IPC.

FX Cpus have an IPC about 67% performance vrs Intel. 2x threads of an FX cpu need to be running @4.5GHz to equal a 3.2GHz Intel cpu. Roughly. To roughly get the same performance of a 4.0GHz Intel, an Fx cpu would need over 6.0GHz. Or, going the other way, a little g2020 pentium would give an Fx8320 a run for its money on either of those games.

I'm not knocking amd, they do have their good points and where they are strong, just happens not to be in gaming, especially on high cpu, high core speed, high IPC games like Fallout 4.
Games like Battlefield 4 are different. Those engines rely more on core count than IPC. An 8350 with decent OC tops everything but (prior to skylake cpus) the i7-4790k and 2011(-3) builds, surpassing even the i5-4690k, simply due to core count and usage.

Zen is supposedly a raise in IPC of @40%. This should bring the FX series upto Haswell levels in IPC. Or thereabouts. If it works as planned, Zen will put amd back in the running, still second place, but a damn sight closer race than the present.