Advice on $700-ish Gaming PC

scott1710

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
The will be the first time I've ever tackled a home-build, so I thought the best thing to do would be to come here and get some opinions as I don't know a lot about which hardware I should be looking at.

Approximate Purchase Date: Unsure, but hopefully before Christmas.

Budget Range: $600-$700 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: The main motivation behind this build is to play The Old Republic. I know that's a few months away yet, but I like to do my research. Other games I'd like to be able to run at reasonable performance are Devil May Cry 4 and Fable III. I don't know if DmC: Devil May Cry (the series reboot) will ever be released on PC (I know that Wikipedia only states PS3 and X360) but I'm hopeful, and if it does I hope to be able to play that too, although without any system requirements for that, it will be hard to judge.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, OS, Case, DVD Drive.

Country of Origin: Australia.

Parts Preferences: Nothing very specific other than being an Intel machine.

Overclocking: Probably not.

SLI or Crossfire: I'd like the abilty to do so, but don't need it right now (unless it turns out cheaper than buying one GPU to handle the whole lot).

Monitor Resolution: I have a 24" Acer monitor running at 1920x1080.

I've heard a lot of talk that an i5-2500 or an i5-2500k is the way to go right now. I've also heard good things about the Asus P8P67 is a good range of Mobo's, but could somebody please explain the Pros and Cons of the P67's and the Z68's?

Thanks.

rvilkman

Distinguished
P67 and Z68 both allow for overclocking of memory and CPU.

Z68 in addition allows SSD caching and graphics outputs from the CPU.
And to utilize the features of the built in GPU on the CPU via Virtu -technology.

There are of course more differences but that's the main part.

Old Republic will run on almost ANYTHING. Its listed system requirements are ludicrously low for any enthusiast build, even a budget gamer:

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4000+ or Intel Core2Duo @ 2.0 Ghz
Video: Radeon X1800 or Geforce 7800 or Intel 4100 graphics
2 GB RAM

Basically, an enthusiast machine from early 2006 is required.