advice on a game

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi all,it's a bit OT this but i'm looking for a game.

I'm looking for a nice relaxing adventure game,possibly point and click.
The main thing i want is to be able to roam around,maybe solving puzzles at
a leisurely pace...

The main thing i want is nice graphics..you know,like huge enviroments to
explore that show off the gpu.

Anyone playing anything like this?

I was looking at Myst III but it doesn't work on XP.

Sorry for the OT,any help appreciated.

"Dave" <baddsxyz@xyzbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,it's a bit OT this but i'm looking for a game.
>
> I'm looking for a nice relaxing adventure game,possibly point and click.
> The main thing i want is to be able to roam around,maybe solving puzzles
at
> a leisurely pace...
>
> The main thing i want is nice graphics..you know,like huge enviroments to
> explore that show off the gpu.
>
> Anyone playing anything like this?
>
> I was looking at Myst III but it doesn't work on XP.
>

> Sorry for the OT,any help appreciated.

You'll probably get a flame posting this on a hardware NG...but since most
of us are gamers here, I don't see any harm. I can see relevancy to 'show
off' these top dollar graphics cards we're buying. First, Myst III works
fine on my XP machine. What could be the problem?

Schizm has some 'other worldly' eye candy, but hard puzzles [get the DVD
version for high density graphics].
Syberia(s) are cakewalks, but good artwork, nice cold country scenes.
One I'm about to try is Aura: Fate of the Ages. I'm told that one is great.
I play all genres...adventure a good rest from RTS, Sims, and RPGs.

http://www.justadventure.com/Reviews.shtm
A good link to investigate old and new adventures w/reviews etc.

Dave left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Hi all,it's a bit OT this but i'm looking for a game.
>
> I'm looking for a nice relaxing adventure game,possibly point and click.
> The main thing i want is to be able to roam around,maybe solving puzzles at
> a leisurely pace...
>
> The main thing i want is nice graphics..you know,like huge enviroments to
> explore that show off the gpu.
>
> Anyone playing anything like this?
>
> I was looking at Myst III but it doesn't work on XP.
>
> Sorry for the OT,any help appreciated.

Morrowind?

First Person, huge enviroment to roam around in and explore. Not too
much puzzle solving tho. A fair bit of choice regarding your character
tho - Wizard, Rouge, Warrior plus all the ones inbetween.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

sanitarium is good

"tooly" <rdh11@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> "Dave" <baddsxyz@xyzbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,it's a bit OT this but i'm looking for a game.
> >
> > I'm looking for a nice relaxing adventure game,possibly point and click.
> > The main thing i want is to be able to roam around,maybe solving puzzles
> at
> > a leisurely pace...
> >
> > The main thing i want is nice graphics..you know,like huge enviroments
> > explore that show off the gpu.
> >
> > Anyone playing anything like this?
> >
> > I was looking at Myst III but it doesn't work on XP.
> >

> > Sorry for the OT,any help appreciated.
> >

> You'll probably get a flame posting this on a hardware NG...but since most
> of us are gamers here, I don't see any harm. I can see relevancy to 'show
> off' these top dollar graphics cards we're buying. First, Myst III works
> fine on my XP machine. What could be the problem?
>
> Schizm has some 'other worldly' eye candy, but hard puzzles [get the DVD
> version for high density graphics].
> Syberia(s) are cakewalks, but good artwork, nice cold country scenes.
> One I'm about to try is Aura: Fate of the Ages. I'm told that one is
great.
> I play all genres...adventure a good rest from RTS, Sims, and RPGs.
>
> http://www.justadventure.com/Reviews.shtm
> A good link to investigate old and new adventures w/reviews etc.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Thanks for the helpful responses peeps,appreciated.

"inwiththenew" <yeahright@yeahright.com> wrote in message
> sanitarium is good
>
> "tooly" <rdh11@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Dave" <baddsxyz@xyzbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,it's a bit OT this but i'm looking for a game.
> > >
> > > I'm looking for a nice relaxing adventure game,possibly point and
click.
> > > The main thing i want is to be able to roam around,maybe solving
puzzles
> > at
> > > a leisurely pace...
> > >
> > > The main thing i want is nice graphics..you know,like huge enviroments
> > > explore that show off the gpu.
> > >
> > > Anyone playing anything like this?
> > >
> > > I was looking at Myst III but it doesn't work on XP.
> > >

> > > Sorry for the OT,any help appreciated.
> > >

> > You'll probably get a flame posting this on a hardware NG...but since
most
> > of us are gamers here, I don't see any harm. I can see relevancy to
'show
> > off' these top dollar graphics cards we're buying. First, Myst III works
> > fine on my XP machine. What could be the problem?
> >
> > Schizm has some 'other worldly' eye candy, but hard puzzles [get the DVD
> > version for high density graphics].
> > Syberia(s) are cakewalks, but good artwork, nice cold country scenes.
> > One I'm about to try is Aura: Fate of the Ages. I'm told that one is
> great.
> > I play all genres...adventure a good rest from RTS, Sims, and RPGs.
> >
> > http://www.justadventure.com/Reviews.shtm
> > A good link to investigate old and new adventures w/reviews etc.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

"Dave" <baddsxyz@xyzbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,it's a bit OT this but i'm looking for a game.
>
> I'm looking for a nice relaxing adventure game,possibly point and click.
> The main thing i want is to be able to roam around,maybe solving puzzles
at
> a leisurely pace...
>
> The main thing i want is nice graphics..you know,like huge enviroments to
> explore that show off the gpu.
>
> Anyone playing anything like this?
>
> I was looking at Myst III but it doesn't work on XP.
>

> Sorry for the OT,any help appreciated.

Try "Uru: Ages Beyond Myst." It's the latest chapter in the Myst saga and
very enjoyable.

--
DaveW

"Dave" <baddsxyz@xyzbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,it's a bit OT this but i'm looking for a game.
>
> I'm looking for a nice relaxing adventure game,possibly point and click.
> The main thing i want is to be able to roam around,maybe solving puzzles
at
> a leisurely pace...
>
> The main thing i want is nice graphics..you know,like huge enviroments to
> explore that show off the gpu.
>
> Anyone playing anything like this?
>
> I was looking at Myst III but it doesn't work on XP.
>

> Sorry for the OT,any help appreciated.

JohnS

Me too. I really like Syberia 1 and 2 ... my wife and I
do it together because it is a "girls" game, and she
comes from an Eastern European family ... very very
very Catholic. It is impossible without the walkthroughs,
so I drive the mouse, and she spins Alpacka and watches.
I wish the game let me roam in that environment more.
It is too linear, and is 3rd person to boot. I would like
to find a 1st person game of the same quality. I've never
seen one anywhere. Syberia is not a kids game .. not
even close ... and it is a pain in the ass, so most adults
would give up quickly. The art work in that game is
beautiful. No other game can touch it for that. The
characters are equally special and fit the theme. I wish
Benoit Sokal would do a game like that with a much
better engine, and do it 1st person.

johns

Dave wrote:
> Hi all,it's a bit OT this but i'm looking for a game.
>
> I'm looking for a nice relaxing adventure game,possibly point and
> click. The main thing i want is to be able to roam around,maybe
> solving puzzles at a leisurely pace...
>
> The main thing i want is nice graphics..you know,like huge
> enviroments to explore that show off the gpu.
>
> Anyone playing anything like this?
>
> I was looking at Myst III but it doesn't work on XP.
>

> Sorry for the OT,any help appreciated.

I have *ALL* Myst games installed and running under XP Pro SP1.

Try some of the Dreamcatcher games. Try Syberia and Syberia2.

Try...Morrowind! :)

McG.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Thanks,......regarding Myst 3.....the internet store i'm buying from just
says it's not compatible with XP,i've not actually tried it,
Will have a look at some of these other games though.

> Thanks,......regarding Myst 3.....the internet store i'm buying from just
> says it's not compatible with XP,i've not actually tried it,
> Will have a look at some of these other games though.

Hmm...one thing I like about Myst 3 is the 360 degree mouse view. Some of
the later Atlantis games had this also. I just downloaded and played the
new 'Aura: Fate of the Ages' demo, and I have to say, the graphics are a lot
better than the gritty Myst games, including Myst 3 [in comparison]. I've
just played the demo, so not sure how the puzzles are or the storyline, but
the graphics are the best I've seen. And yes, you get the 360 degree mouse
view [up, down, all around].

I'm still using my ati 9600pro waiting for my FX5900XT to get here, and the
one thing that stood out is the vivid colorization. When one sees how these
fantasy worlds come to life when the graphics are so lush and vivid, it
makes the costs of the new cards worthwhile. One of my big gripes about most
adventure games is that there's usually not a lot of video modes available.
If the game is written for 640x480 pixs, that's what you live with. Myst
games, though very interesting worlds, have not always been at the higher
pixel modes. The Aura demo loaded at 1024x768, so right away the crispness
stands out [hope the real game offers even higher pixel settings]. I've
played the Syberia games, and I agree with other posters, they are beautiful
too. Good luck.

Sharanga Dayananda left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

= Eye Candy ?!
--
Stoneskin