[SOLVED] Advice on a short term upgrade on my old PC

Jun 1, 2020
I had planned on building my dream PC this year but like everyone else on earth my plans where changed due to the virus. I've had to be responsible and put a hold the new computer for now, however, the limitations on my current ancient PC are driving me insane.

I like to use 3D software primarily Daz3D but also Blender, Photoshop, Modo, and Marvelous Designer. Daz3D uses Iray to render and my teeny tiny GPU has to send the work to the CPU and everything slows down, but my primary problem is that the program locks up or crashes because I'm trying to use to many polygons when I'm modeling. It so limiting it's killing the fun that I could be having with the program.

I need some advise on some short term updates.

Right now I have a Dell Inspirion 580 with a Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.20GHz,8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 on a Dell Inc. 033FF6 Motherboard, with a 300 watt power supply. I've updated it with a 931GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB and an ASUStek NVIDIA GeoForce GT 710 with 2 MB. The operating system is Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

I'm think of two options. First , 2MB of GPU memory is bad. I could get a refurbished or off-brand 730 with 4MB of memory for around $50 . I know this isn't a great card but would it be a inexpensive short term solution?

I've never paid much attention to the fans in the case – getting a couple stronger fans and maybe re-applying the thermal paste on the CPU make any difference?

The motherboard limits my memory to 8gb which is a problem but probably nothing I can solve with this PC.

Sorry for such a lengthily posting but I really need some help.

Solution
Do you currently have Daz3D set to GPU render or CPU render, or GPU+CPU? GPU+CPU works like garbage in Daz. I'd set it to GPU only, even now, without any changes to hardware, to see if that helps at all.

Are you running the 32 or 64 bit versions of these programs?

The 4GB GT 730 is maybe an acceptable stopgap but it sure seems like fifty bucks that could be put towards new hardware and be a much better option. I mean, that's half the price of a decent B450 motherboard, at least, under normal circumstances. Not necessarily right now, but a few weeks from now it probably will be again when inventory starts finding it's way back onto store shelves again.
Do you currently have Daz3D set to GPU render or CPU render, or GPU+CPU? GPU+CPU works like garbage in Daz. I'd set it to GPU only, even now, without any changes to hardware, to see if that helps at all.

The 4GB GT 730 is maybe an acceptable stopgap but it sure seems like fifty bucks that could be put towards new hardware and be a much better option. I mean, that's half the price of a decent B450 motherboard, at least, under normal circumstances. Not necessarily right now, but a few weeks from now it probably will be again when inventory starts finding it's way back onto store shelves again.

Solution
Jun 1, 2020
i'm running the 64 bit versions

i usually have daz setup for both gpu +cpu. i'm going to try your gpu only suggestion right now.