[SOLVED] Advice on chosing 5700 XT / GTX 2070s/2080

Sep 16, 2019
Im looking to replace my entire system but I've heard it's best to start with the GPU so let's just do that. (And no this is not a joke, this is my current system that i'm replacing.... long over due don't you agree?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:
End of this week, latest by 22/9 - 19

Budget:
For the GPU, max 800$ (reference point Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB AORUS costs 692$ with swedish VAT....)

USAGE:
I'll mainly be playing LoL, CSGO and battle royales but i'll also play games such as the new Modern Warfare, WoW and other newly released games. Important to note that i'm mostly after FPS to stay competitive in CSGO/PUBG for example, (i'm ok with turning down graphics if it gives better performance as well) but ofc i want to be able to play solo campagins in 1080p at least.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
I'm replace every part of my current system and havn't quite figured out all other parts yet but I think that once i've selected a GPU all other parts will be easier to determine) But my very possible set-ups be like:
CPU: R5 3600, MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Elite, RAM: 3200 g.skill cl14, SSD: Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus 1TB, PSU: Corsair RM750x V2,
OR
CPU:
i-5-9600k / i-7-9700k, MOBO: MSI Z390-A pro/ Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, SSD: Samsung Evo 970 Plus 1TB, PSU: Corsair RM750x V2, COOLER: Master Hyper 212 EVO

PARTS PREFERENCES: (COMPARSION BETWEEN ALL 4 GPUs)
RX 5700 XT Sapphire Nitro + OC/ Gigabyte RTX 2070 8gb Gaming OC / Gigabyte RTX 2070Super 8gb Aorus / EVGA RTX 2080 8gb XC Gaming

OVERCLOCKING:
No, I won't be overclocking by myslef.

MONITOR RESOLUTION:
Currently looking into these 2 monitors: Asus 165hz and Asus 240hz but I can do with a 144hz as well.

PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS:
Any really

SUMMARY:
What GPU do you prefere and why? Also can someone explain to me which is faster? Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB Nitro+ OC or the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB AORUS ??? Because on paper the Sapphire is faster than the 2070super and cheaper nonetheless but everyone says that the 2070super is superior to the RX 5700 XTs ??

Thank you for your help in advance! First time im building a computer on my own and first time i'll be owning a gaming computer at all. :)

Solution
I found the Corsair MP510 at 20% less than the 970 Evo+ on webhallen. Your choice.

Maybe look into a RTX2060, RTX2060 Super, or AMD 5700 (non-XT) instead (RTX2060 Super = AMD 5700). Those cards are still crazy strong for 1080p even in today's most demanding games. If you hadn't started so high on your budget (aka, just asking for a 1080p gaming build for the games you listed) I would've probably gone in the GTX1660Ti/RX590 range of cards.
*For reference, I have a 27" 1440p 144Hz monitor (Samsung C27HG70) and I'll probably end up buying an AMD 5700 later this year to replace my RX480.

I'd probably go with the Asus VG278Q and if you want to spend up on a VA panel, the Asus XG27VQ
All these GPUs are massive overkill for the games and resolutions you're talking about to achieve >120fps.
I personally think 240Hz is an overrated pipe dream. Don't waste your money on that while limiting yourself to a smaller screen size compared to a more reasonable ~144Hz monitor.

Even a $160 (in the USA) RX580 will get you >90fps in PUBG (which is a horribly optimized game) and COD @ 1080p High settings.

You're currently using an i5-3450, 6GB RAM in single channel, and a GT630 to play these same games....The performance comparison for the GPU is something around 10x, and the CPU is ~2-3x.

I don't want to play "budget mommy" but do you realize this new system is something like 3x the cost that you (likely) spent on your current system that you haven't upgraded at all in the ~6-7 years you've owned it? I only say that because it seems odd that you suddenly have quite a bit of money for a high end system, but haven't chosen to spend even 10% of this new build budget on something like a RX570 for your current system that would've netted you a 3-4x performance boost.

And yes, the 2070 Super is ~7% faster than the 5700XT.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019
All these GPUs are massive overkill for the games and resolutions you're talking about to achieve >120fps.

You're currently using an i5-3450, 6GB RAM in single channel, and a GT630 to play these same games....The performance comparison for the GPU is something around 10x, and the CPU is ~2-3x.

I won't be getting any advantages going over 120fps?

And I struggle quite a lot with my current set-up, thats why I'm looking into replacing it with some decent gear.

Once you get above 144Hz, most people can't tell the difference. At/past that point, things like ghosting/motion blur play a much larger factor than refresh rate.

Understandable about the upgrade, your current GPU is holding you back pretty hard and the CPU isn't doing any favors either. I'm just saying I think you could cut your GPU budget in half and still get the results you're looking for @ 1080p. The 5700XT to RTX2080 are definitely in the upper half of the 1440p GPU category.

Also, DDR4-3200 is fine, but CL16 is going to be much cheaper for VERY little performance penalty.

A 1TB SSD is pretty large for a SSD+HDD setup. But if you just want your entire PC on a single drive, that's fine. Have you looked at the Adata SX8200 Pro or Corsair MP510 in your country?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019
I personally think 240Hz is an overrated pipe dream. Don't waste your money on that while limiting yourself to a smaller screen size compared to a more reasonable ~144Hz monitor.

Even a $160 (in the USA) RX580 will get you >90fps in PUBG (which is a horribly optimized game) and COD @ 1080p High settings.

I don't want to play "budget mommy" but do you realize this new system is something like 3x the cost that you (likely) spent on your current system that you haven't upgraded at all in the ~6-7 years you've owned it? I only say that because it seems odd that you suddenly have quite a bit of money for a high end system, but haven't chosen to spend even 10% of this new build budget on something like a RX570 for your current system that would've netted you a 3-5x performance boost.

Like I said, I have never owned a gaming PC before and I've never been that much into gaming. This computer is about 6-7 years old and it wasn't even me who bought it and wasn't bought to be gamed on. I didnt realise until lately how terrible my curret system actually was. Prior to last week I had 0 knowledge regarding PCs and its components. and for the last years i've mainly played games such as Cod 4 on pro mods, old school runescape and tribalwars which worked out great. But now i've picked up a few more games and my current system can't keep up with that really and therefore my need of upgrading. Money have never been an issue but ofc i'm buying the cheaper option of there is little to non difference in performance for that I want. Like i said, its the first time im trying to build a gaming pc and my knowledge in this department is highly limited.

But thank you for your input, i need all the help I can get!

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019
Once you get above 144Hz, most people can't tell the difference. At/past that point, things like ghosting/motion blur play a much larger factor than refresh rate.

Understandable about the upgrade, your current GPU is holding you back pretty hard and the CPU isn't doing any favors either. I'm just saying I think you could cut your GPU budget in half and still get the results you're looking for @ 1080p. The 5700XT to RTX2080 are definitely in the upper half of the 1440p GPU category.

Also, DDR4-3200 is fine, but CL16 is going to be much cheaper for VERY little performance penalty.

A 1TB SSD is pretty large for a SSD+HDD setup. But if you just want your entire PC on a single drive, that's fine. Have you looked at the Adata SX8200 Pro or Corsair MP510 in your country?
hmm thank you for your response! What GPU would you advice? I've found myslef rather found of the RX 5700 XT but im open to all suggestions! Also i've heard that the sweetspot for R5 3600 supposedly is around the 3200-3600Mhz mark with 3200 at cl14 and 3600 at cl16? But its a minor upgrade not justifiable by the increase in cost you say?

Also im no going to be using a HDD, is that a mistake? Adata SX8200 Pro seems hard to find in my country and the Corsair MP510 seems pretty similar to the 970 EVO both in price and speed?

The 240hz monitor is mainly cuz its on a deal right now, 170$ extra for 240hz vs 144 seems like a pretty good deal but i havent looked into ghosting/motionblur at all, All i've gone for regarding monitors so far is response time (ms) and refresh rate.

I found the Corsair MP510 at 20% less than the 970 Evo+ on webhallen. Your choice.

Maybe look into a RTX2060, RTX2060 Super, or AMD 5700 (non-XT) instead (RTX2060 Super = AMD 5700). Those cards are still crazy strong for 1080p even in today's most demanding games. If you hadn't started so high on your budget (aka, just asking for a 1080p gaming build for the games you listed) I would've probably gone in the GTX1660Ti/RX590 range of cards.
*For reference, I have a 27" 1440p 144Hz monitor (Samsung C27HG70) and I'll probably end up buying an AMD 5700 later this year to replace my RX480.

I'd probably go with the Asus VG278Q and if you want to spend up on a VA panel, the Asus XG27VQ

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 16, 2019

You think the ASUS VG278Q is better than the ASUS VG278QR ?

Can you pls explain why? I want to know what I need to look after. :)

EDIT: Huge props for hanging in there with me! I know my ignorance shine through the screen but we all got to start somewhere.

Hey exactly! We all start somewhere.

I didn't do a ton of research on the two monitors aside from looking at pricing, manufacturer website, and this helpful website from AMD. The QR model appears to simply be an "over-driven" Q to get 165Hz on the spec sheet but using the same panel, backlight, and everything else. All their other stats are the same (TN panel, 40Hz minimum refresh rate, 400cd/m brightness, 6-bit panel, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 1ms, 72% NTSC, etc etc etc).
One can usually find the exact panel that a monitor uses with enough Google time, but again, I'd expect both models to have the same panel as explained above.