[SOLVED] Advice on Ghetto Fab of older CPU cooler

Jojers

Commendable
Jan 5, 2020
I'm trying to restore my old desktop to give to my brother in law. He enjoys gaming in his spare time and his laptop stopped working. He's on the spectrum and doesn't always make the best choices, he bought an older used desktop from ebay and it was not a good buy. Wouldn't boot so he had me come take a look at it. It was atrocious... Graphics card was dangling and not mounted at all, power supply wasn't fully mounted and was resting on the MoBo, hard drives were just randomly sitting inside the case instead of in their proper bays, and all sorts of other crap goin on. He doesn't have a lot of money so that's why I'm trying to get my old desktop goin for him. If I wasn't already trying to save up for some upgrades to my current rig I would just buy him something decent. Anyway I digress, back to my inquiry.

On the desktop I'm attempting to get goin for him, I previously burnt up the CPU because I was overclocking and had never upgraded my cooling system to compensate. I've got a spare CPU to put in it for him but I'm worried about inadequate cooling now. It won't be overclocked this time but none the less... I do have a CoolerMaster liquid CPU cooler from when I upgraded my CPU cooler on my current rig. My Problem is that I don't have the right mounting hardware to mount that CPU cooler to this MoBo. The old CPU cooler was one of those that is just a tiny fan sitting on top of a massive heatsink. I can get the liquid CPU cooler to mount to the top of this massive heatsink. Would this be a viable way of cooling the CPU?

Solution
Its definitely old enough that they don't make any adaptors for sale on their store (I did just go look to make sure). Its a HP AAHD3-HB mother board and an AMD A8 3800 CPU. The cooler I'm attempting to jerry rig is the CoolerMaster ML120
That CPU uses an FM socket with same mounting as AM2/AM3 (for Athlon/Phenom and FX processors). Only problem may be if that HP has some proprietary mounts which HP is known to do.
I'm trying to restore my old desktop to give to my brother in law. He enjoys gaming in his spare time and his laptop stopped working. He's on the spectrum and doesn't always make the best choices, he bought an older used desktop from ebay and it was not a good buy. Wouldn't boot so he had me come take a look at it. It was atrocious... Graphics card was dangling and not mounted at all, power supply wasn't fully mounted and was resting on the MoBo, hard drives were just randomly sitting inside the case instead of in their proper bays, and all sorts of other crap goin on. He doesn't have a lot of money so that's why I'm trying to get my old desktop goin for him. If I wasn't already trying to save up for some upgrades to my current rig I would just buy him something decent. Anyway I digress, back to my inquiry.

On the desktop I'm attempting to get goin for him, I previously burnt up the CPU because I was overclocking and had never upgraded my cooling system to compensate. I've got a spare CPU to put in it for him but I'm worried about inadequate cooling now. It won't be overclocked this time but none the less... I do have a CoolerMaster liquid CPU cooler from when I upgraded my CPU cooler on my current rig. My Problem is that I don't have the right mounting hardware to mount that CPU cooler to this MoBo. The old CPU cooler was one of those that is just a tiny fan sitting on top of a massive heatsink. I can get the liquid CPU cooler to mount to the top of this massive heatsink. Would this be a viable way of cooling the CPU?
Which, CPU, MB and cooler ? Cooler Master sells mounting kits for their coolers for nominal price on their internet store.

Jojers

Commendable
Jan 5, 2020
Its definitely old enough that they don't make any adaptors for sale on their store (I did just go look to make sure). Its a HP AAHD3-HB mother board and an AMD A8 3800 CPU. The cooler I'm attempting to jerry rig is the CoolerMaster ML120

That CPU uses an FM socket with same mounting as AM2/AM3 (for Athlon/Phenom and FX processors). Only problem may be if that HP has some proprietary mounts which HP is known to do.

Solution