Question Advice on GPU upgrade and PCVR

May 24, 2023
Hello!

I currently own an old, first generation HTC Vive. It does its job, but it is pretty old and outdated at this point.

My current build is this:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Video Card: Asus STRIX GAMING GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB Video Card
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME TX-1000 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I'm looking to upgrade to a newer VR for better experience. I'm not sure, if my current video card is capable of running newer VR hardware without issues.
I'm unsure which VR i would even consider buying, as i see there are lots of options currently, i'd love to hear some suggestions on which one to pick, but this sub-forum might not be the best for that question, although i did not see a VR category to ask this question there seperately.

I see that lots of current VRs do not have trackers, i assume i could simply use my old HTC Vive ones for that, but this is a question for another day.

In short:
What type of VR is a possibility for the current set up, without upgrading GPU?
Would it be a good idea to simply upgrade GPU along with a new VR headset? If yes, which GPU should that be?

Only requirement i have for the GPU is to have atleast as much VRAM as my current GPU, or more. :)

Thank you!

Solution
Would it be a good idea to simply upgrade GPU along with a new VR headset? If yes, which GPU should that be?
You could just drop in an RTX4080 in your platform and call it a day, if you have the funds for it. How old is the PSU in your build?

Lutfij

Titan
You could just drop in an RTX4080 in your platform and call it a day, if you have the funds for it. How old is the PSU in your build?

Solution
May 24, 2023
Besides the GPU, everything is approx. 8 months old. To be honest, i'm mostly fine with my current GPU, i fear in case i upgrade my VR, it won't be enough anymore. If my current GPU could run newer VR without issues, i might not upgrade GPU just yet. Unsure how good the 1080ti is compared to newer GPUs to be honest.

4080 wise, which one is currently prefered? I see a couple from the place i usually buy my stuff, but the prices differ an insane amount.