Question Advice on upgrading an i3-2120 ?

Oct 12, 2024
My step dad is in his 70s, has an older Dell Inspiron 620 desktop pc running an i3-2120 processor.
I’m wanting to upgrade it for him as a surprise. Hes complained about it becoming sluggish lately. He only uses it to check stocks, very light web browsing etc. It can hold up to 8gb/ 4gb in 2 channels but oddly it’s only recognizing 6gb???? Can one stick only be half bad?

Also, Id like to upgrade the processor from the i3-2120 to an i7 but am not sure about the compatibility with a proprietary Dell motherboard. I haven’t got inside it yet to check things out because my stepdad would flip out if he caught me taking his PC apart without blowing the surprise.

I already have a spare 850w Thermaltake PSU and a CPU fan from an old gaming rig of mine I’ll use to handle the increased power draw and heat, incase it does work.

Oh, if this isn’t possible will an i5 work and will I need to update the bios in either situation?
I’m probably going to have a lot of people tell me it’s not worth it buy new but he hardly uses a pc as it is. I think upgrading his old one will be more than enough for what he uses it for. Just don’t want him waiting so long for a page to load that he falls asleep in front of it. lol

Any help with these questions would be much appreciated it. Thanks!

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
My step dad is in his 70s, has an older Dell Inspiron 620 desktop pc running an i3-2120 processor.
I’m wanting to upgrade it for him as a surprise. Hes complained about it becoming sluggish lately. He only uses it to check stocks, very light web browsing etc. It can hold up to 8gb/ 4gb in 2 channels but oddly it’s only recognizing 6gb???? Can one stick only be half bad?

Also, Id like to upgrade the processor from the i3-2120 to an i7 but am not sure about the compatibility with a proprietary Dell motherboard. I haven’t got inside it yet to check things out because my stepdad would flip out if he caught me taking his PC apart without blowing the surprise.

I already have a spare 850w Thermaltake PSU and a CPU fan from an old gaming rig of mine I’ll use to handle the increased power draw and heat, incase it does work.

Oh, if this isn’t possible will an i5 work and will I need to update the bios in either situation?
I’m probably going to have a lot of people tell me it’s not worth it buy new but he hardly uses a pc as it is. I think upgrading his old one will be more than enough for what he uses it for. Just don’t want him waiting so long for a page to load that he falls asleep in front of it. lol

Any help with these questions would be much appreciated it. Thanks!
get linux, it's not for nothing, you'll waste your time

Oct 12, 2024
Linux is an OS my 74 year old step dad wouldn’t use or like. He’s stuck in his ways, prefers what’s familiar and defiantly won’t want to learn it no matter how simple it may be. I need to keep his machine as close to how it is as possible.
It just needs a very small performance boost. He only needs it for checking his stocks online a couple times a day throughout the week and email.
He doesn’t need a gaming rig, a server, a multitask pc or a different OS, just a performance upgrade so it’s a little bit quicker. It works perfectly fine now for what he uses it for it’s just a bit sluggish.