Advice on quiet but powerful GPU.

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP.

BUDGET RANGE: USD; $350

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming - Sins of a Solar Empire, Mafia, GTA, RAGE, Hitman, Batman, Mass Effect, Dragon Age etc. etc. , Movies.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Corsair 850W, AMD HD 5770

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Core i7 2600k, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, 16GB Ripjaw DDR3 Memory, SSD system drive - mechanical for game-library.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: edbpriser.dk
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Denmark

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm up for anything, really. Last couple o' cards I've had were AMD, and I've been very happy with those.. Initially switched because of Nvidia's poor support of my monitor setup back then.

OVERCLOCKING: No. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080, BenQ

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Must be quiet under operation.. if it's sitting idle there should be little to no noise at all.. I don't mind a little bit of spin-up during a gaming session, but really, I'd prefer something that's whisper quiet. My current card does this, but I really want something with DX11 and to be able to make everything a little bit prettier without bogging down my machine too much.
Everything will go in to my Corsair 700D case, so space is really not an issue.

Let me know if you need to know anything else, and I really do appreciate any and all responses. Thanks a bunch! :)

imomun

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
GIGABYTE GV-R797TO-3GD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439
Edit: Free Crysis 3 & Bioshock game coupon w/ purchase, limited offer

Ahh... The GV-R797TO-3GD Card was really good in terms of speed and sound but yea such thing comes for a price.
By the way the card you linked also has a reputation of "quiet" card and fits in HIS budget. Good pick :)

Not on this particular card, but unless your gaming they should be relatively quiet.

This may help you in that regard: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7950-review-benchmark,3207-12.html

So that's how loud it should get during gaming.

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Well the design looks like it's meant to reduce the potential noise levels.. but then, some of the coolers on the cards you linked to are absolutely horrible, so I guess you can never know! ;)

Going to see if I can't find a review of this particular card somewhere.

TRENDING THREADS